Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Computer failure and forced stop while driving

Views : 683

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2016, 13:53   #1
Kourou

Exclamation Computer failure and forced stop while driving

Ok, this could have been not just scarier but potentially fatal at higher speeds. Concerns a 62 XC60 R-Design Lux Nav (2013 model IIRC).

As a bit of background which I feel is likely to be relevant, a few days prior, City Safety kicked in as I entered a parking space. I felt at the time that it had been ultra-sensitive as there was some way to go, but as the end of the space was a bush, it could have been one branch was prominent, who knows. I don't recall City Safety kicking in ever before (perhaps once when almost new?). Anyway, that was that and I put it to the back of my mind...

On Sunday, I turned right across traffic (fortunately oncoming traffic was stopped at the lights) and the power steering failed, so I steered as best I could to a stop as I couldn't make the turn. Errors came on the screen which I think concerned brakes, power steering, possibly park assist (not that the car has this feature afaik unless that means parking sensors).

Turning the engine off and then on again appeared to solve the problem, but this made me nervous especially with my two daughters in the car, so I turned gingerly for home, less than a km away thinking I switch to our second car and take it in to the dealer on Monday.

Halfway there, it happened again, and this time not only did the engine not restart but brakes were locked on, and just about every error that could be displayed popped up, starting with brake related warnings, but including air bags and all sorts.

Car is 4 years old but I have a service plan so I called for roadside assistance, who eventually guessed the main computer had a problem hearing from the sensors responsible for all those warnings, but said he couldn't fix. As a result, he called in a tow truck, and we eventually used skids to get the car on the back (with brakes still locked on it could not roll).

The only related issue I could find is from 2009:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archiv...p/t-68352.html

Does anyone know anything about this sort of problem? Volvo in Sheffield have had the car since Sunday and seem to have done very little bar have a quick look at it, and are now advising we may not get it back before tomorrow eve when we go on holiday.

Separately...

Our second car is too small for the trip with two tiny kids and their kit, so we are likely to end up hiring a car for 8 days, an expense I have only just discovered is our responsibility, despite the dealer taking days to even get round to looking at it.

If I'd known the car loan was only for 3 days (and that the dealer can take as long as they like with the repair), that I would be responsible for a software failure like this, and that the dealer would take so long to even look at the car, I'd have foregone the loan car until the holiday to reduce the cost, and looked for a dealer (or even 3rd-party) who could fit the car in sooner, but hey-ho. In theory I should know what the service plan comprises, but I signed up ages ago, and would not have expected a repair to take so long anyway. It should have been their responsibility to brief me on my entitlements as soon as I reported the issue.

I say this as a warning to anyone with a similar plan, as I was led to believe through omission and ambiguity that the service plan would cover both the repair and the car hire until fixed.

Anyway, the main issue is the extremely dangerous computer failure, which at high speed or without traffic lights could been fatal. If it can happen to me, it could happen to any other XC60 owner. For that reason and because we really need the car back (and to be able to trust it again), I'd love to hear any advice or similar experiences?
Kourou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kourou For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 15:07   #2
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Might be worth checking your alternator.
Mine failed the other day. Power steering went as I backed into the drive, then all the dash lit up and the engine shut down. Mine is a V50 05 plate. New alternator solved all.
Systems are very reliant on a voltage within quite tight tolerances
Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 16:38   #3
benr7310
Master Member

Alternator.

When voltage is low the first thing it does is start shutting down 'non essentials' like brake assist etc.

Happened on my s40

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to benr7310 For This Useful Post:

Tags
brakes, city safety, computer, failure, xc60