Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 Turbo

Views : 4365

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2014, 22:43   #11
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
So what you have to do is change the turbo , renew the turbo oil feed pipe ( which is now modified) then take off the sump and fit a new oil pick up pipe and change the oil and filter for the correct items .
If when the sump is removed it is full of sludge the whole engine will need cleaning out internaly .

Surely as the turbo is being changed by a garage they will do these items as a matter of course? I would certainly expect so, but for the OP it is certainly worth the ask! Maybe I just take this for granted as I'd do these items as a matter course if I was to fit a new turbo and thus expect others would too?

Can you imagine ANYONE these days doing anything other than turning their engine off as soon as they come to a rest ? especialy when probably 80% of the cars on the road have turbochargers ...No it just doesnt happen .

I'm 100% with you Clan in that a normal person using a turbo vehicle, just pottering around without any heavy acceleration etc... turning straight off will have little to no effect on the turbo. My advice was more aimed at those slightly more spirited drivers who have had their car under load or others who perhaps tow or even those that live in hilly areas. These people should (IMHO) allow their cars to idle prior to shutting off the engine to allow sufficient cooling. You would get the same advice from lots of turbo places and one of them being Turbo Technics.

Just make sure your garage is aware of all these steps they have to take when repairing your car and ask for in writing what exactly they did to repair it so you have some back up when the same thing happens again before 2015 ..

Couldn't agree more!
See responses in red above.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 18:23   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
See responses in red above.

No a lot of garages wouldn't do anything else other than change the turbo .. they may change the oil and filter if you are lucky, I have seen many cases of repeat repairs over the years .

Reconditioned or new turbochargers come with a warning label as to the correct proceedure too !

740 turbo chargers occasionaly were glowing red after i returned from a journey in the 1980's to 90's ., so yes in those cases allowing to cool on idle for 5 miniutes would be a good idea ! But not today , things are different , you cant get a load on the turbo for long enough to get it that hot and water cooling is a boon :-) track days wouldnt do a turbo charger much good either .
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 10:55   #13
cod249

Hi Guys - The garage had a brand new turbo fitted over the weekend. They also changed the oil filter and the oil while they were at it. The new turbo is also under a two year guarantee. It is driving just like it was when I got it, with the advice received here I will hopefully have a long (er) life with this turbo. Thanks!
cod249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 13:47   #14
Volvic50

If I could ask you to look at these pictures and give me opinion on my engigne oil sludge.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151025_131947.jpg (118.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20151025_131953.jpg (140.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20151025_131957.jpg (111.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20151025_132024.jpg (132.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20151025_132031.jpg (101.6 KB, 11 views)
Volvic50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 13:56   #15
domhart10
Volvo S40

This exact thing happen to me with my S40 T5, luckily same as you I have warranty but paid a little extra to allow the dealer to carry out the work as im not so trusting with local garages anymore.

They said that the previous owner didn't put the correct oil in and probably didn't let the car warm up or cool down after flooring it.

(previous owner on my car didnt have it for long, running costs can be expensive if you keep on top)

Volvo dealer fitted a new one but I send it back frequently to get a full service and oil change.
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 09:13   #16
tomweston

Default let the turbo slow down

It is an interesting topic and there have been many comments about letting the engine idle to allow the turbo to slow down before turning it off. However, those of us with Stop-Start will notice that the engine turns straight off as soon as the car comes to a stop, there is no short idle period, I must therefore conclude that the modern engine and turbo systems were designed not to require a period of tick over before being turned off.

The S40 on line handbook does recommend it, page 143 states "Do not turn the engine off immediately you stop after a hard drive." but it does not say why.
tomweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 11:02   #17
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomweston View Post
It is an interesting topic and there have been many comments about letting the engine idle to allow the turbo to slow down before turning it off. However, those of us with Stop-Start will notice that the engine turns straight off as soon as the car comes to a stop, there is no short idle period, I must therefore conclude that the modern engine and turbo systems were designed not to require a period of tick over before being turned off.

The S40 on line handbook does recommend it, page 143 states "Do not turn the engine off immediately you stop after a hard drive." but it does not say why.
Start stop on a T5? either way I dont agree with these start stop things .... on my way too and from work I have had to push 3 cars out (Not volvo) pretty much new cars because of this start stop rubbish ... car stops at the lights ... turns itself off ... owner puts foot down to start and move away ... nothing happens but a bit que behind them.
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 14:42   #18
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
, I must therefore conclude that the modern engine and turbo systems were designed not to require a period of tick over before being turned off.
Not many people actually know or do this routine (impatience). It was more of an issue with delivery drivers who thrashed from one delivery to another. For most folk pootling it's not such a big deal and therein not an issue for stop/start.
However, I imagine the bling and hype of stop/start system meant turbo problems were not considered/cared about by manafacturers anyway.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 21:00   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

It is an old wives tale today . It refers to the 1980s when turbochargers were not water cooled . if you went on a hard drive , that is over 4000 rpm on full power for say over 30 seconds , the turbocharger casing would literally glow red hot , they were designed to cope with this as the flow of oil through them kept the core temperature under control , but if you stopped the engine so the oil flow stopped and the heat would soak right to the core of the turbo and boil the oil off the spindle bearings and ruin them .

since around the early 1990s Turbochargers have had coolant circulating through them to cool .. Even when you turn off , coolant still flows through them due to the thermo-syphon process . The normal driver today need not worry at all about his turbocharger , after all how many of the drivers out there today even know they have one !
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 21:06   #20
alfadave11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is an old wives tale today . It refers to the 1980s when turbochargers were not water cooled . if you went on a hard drive , that is over 4000 rpm on full power for say over 30 seconds , the turbocharger casing would literally glow red hot , they were designed to cope with this as the flow of oil through them kept the core temperature under control , but if you stopped the engine so the oil flow stopped and the heat would soak right to the core of the turbo and boil the oil off the spindle bearings and ruin them .

since around the early 1990s Turbochargers have had coolant circulating through them to cool .. Even when you turn off , coolant still flows through them due to the thermo-syphon process . The normal driver today need not worry at all about his turbocharger , after all how many of the drivers out there today even know they have one !
oil today is far superior nowadays if changed at recommended intervals
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
failure, s40, turbo