Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 602656

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2016, 09:40   #1361
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilesme View Post
V-Power has a different "recipe" - it isn't exactly the same stuff.

So my awesome analogy stands.
We weren't comparing standard to premium diesels - we were comparing standard to standard which makes my analogy completely valid and, I'm sorry, yours invalid
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 11:38   #1362
Gilesme

I'd agree with that.

On my old S-Max it was markedly quieter on startup - but not as noticeable on the Volvo.
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 13:44   #1363
Turnwood

Oh dear.....

7 weeks and 5000 miles since my EGR was replaced for the first time at 42k miles and the dreaded engine check light appeared again over the weekend

Light has gone off now but I am taking it into the dealer first thing tomorrow so that they can see what fault codes have been recorded. I'm now getting worried as my warranty period is fast coming to an end.

I wonder whether this could be the dirty sensor issue that was related to the EGR problem? I seem to recall Rooster mentioning that cleaning the sensor was no longer part of the latest EGR 'fix'? I will not be impressed at all if I have been forced into another trip to the dealer because Volvo decided to try and reduce some labour cost on the recent work.

I will update here tomorrow.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 14:04   #1364
AngloScot
Master Member

Supermarket fuel stations are always full, so if their fuel is no good why aren't the streets full of broken down cars.

It's a load of old tosh, that's why. Nothing wrong with Asda's cheapest, more fool the people buying "premium diesel".
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 14:06   #1365
Grimble
Grimble

I have an MY13 XC60 D4. 78k miles, I got the vehicle at 71k.
The engine light came on today.
Symptoms were a 'whooshing' sound when accelerating but absolutely normal if foot was off accelerator. Did this for a few miles and then noise went away, light came on and engine lost a lot of power. No tortoise light, just lack of torque when trying to accelerate.
Is this indicative of the problem the thread relates to?
I'm not a mechanic, but to me it points to something to do with the turbocharger. Engine sounds absolutely fine.
Any ideas?
Will post up once the dealer does a diagnostic.
Thankfully I still have 3 weeks of my warranty left!
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 14:33   #1366
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
I have an MY13 XC60 D4. 78k miles, I got the vehicle at 71k.
The engine light came on today.
Symptoms were a 'whooshing' sound when accelerating but absolutely normal if foot was off accelerator. Did this for a few miles and then noise went away, light came on and engine lost a lot of power. No tortoise light, just lack of torque when trying to accelerate.
Is this indicative of the problem the thread relates to?
I'm not a mechanic, but to me it points to something to do with the turbocharger. Engine sounds absolutely fine.
Any ideas?
Will post up once the dealer does a diagnostic.
Thankfully I still have 3 weeks of my warranty left!
You may have a problem, but this is not a VEA engine which is the subject of this enormously long thread.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 14:36   #1367
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnwood View Post
Oh dear.....

7 weeks and 5000 miles since my EGR was replaced for the first time at 42k miles and the dreaded engine check light appeared again over the weekend

Light has gone off now but I am taking it into the dealer first thing tomorrow so that they can see what fault codes have been recorded. I'm now getting worried as my warranty period is fast coming to an end.

I wonder whether this could be the dirty sensor issue that was related to the EGR problem? I seem to recall Rooster mentioning that cleaning the sensor was no longer part of the latest EGR 'fix'? I will not be impressed at all if I have been forced into another trip to the dealer because Volvo decided to try and reduce some labour cost on the recent work.

Make sure you get the 'repair' properly documented in writing (also the initial one). The received wisdom seems to be that Volvo will honour repairs to this known issue after the warranty has expired, but nobody has actually put this to the test. The time is fast approaching when the initial D4 VEA engine stock will be passing the three year standard warranty date.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 21:41   #1368
Rooster
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnwood View Post
Oh dear.....

Do you know if you had pipework mod when you had the last repair done,

I believe there is a slight issue with latest engine mapping software released a few weeks back and it seems to be logging 02 sensor codes again even after latest repair and sensors cleaned
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 23:37   #1369
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

V- power is about 23% additive.

Roy
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 00:14   #1370
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Make sure you get the 'repair' properly documented in writing (also the initial one). The received wisdom seems to be that Volvo will honour repairs to this known issue after the warranty has expired, but nobody has actually put this to the test. The time is fast approaching when the initial D4 VEA engine stock will be passing the three year standard warranty date.
I would guess that they should all be picked up and have the latest mod at the end of warranty service.

Roy