Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bulb Failure Dipped Beam (but the bulb is fine)

Views : 23763

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:12   #11
beano5892

i have same prob as you (04 D5 XC90) but with bi-xenon so v unlikely to be bulb failure. checked fuses.. both ok

have just spoken with volvo.

apparently if no power leading to bulbs themselves then it could be the control unit (£300) which has to be fitted in workshop so that it can be programmed into the car... however, if fault is intermittent (in terms of message on internal display - mine disappears if i flick headlights, but lights still don't come on) then it could be a dash unit at £700 ....

apparently many things that it could be... need to take in for them to check out... booked in for diagnostic check for tom ... will let you know what they say.. why can't cars be easy nowadays?!
beano5892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:08   #12
beano5892

Not sure if you've solved your problem yet, but turns out that the fuse that had gone was one linked to connector block in passenger footwell. Wiring had come loose from block and was shorting. Fuse change. Wires reconnected. All working - you might want to check that?
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:14   #13
beano5892

Hi rustybaby...

not sure if you've solved your problem, but in end took car into dealer. Apparently the fuse that had gone was not one under bonnet relating to the lights themselves, but the one in the passenger footwell that relates to the connector block for the lights. The wiring had come loose and was causing circuit to short. Wires reconnected and fuse changed. All working. Tried to charge me £85+VAT (for the hour of diagnostic time!!) which I refused to pay... got them down to £40 inc. Still rip off but hands tied as they have car!

Might be worth a check - hope it works - sounds like an easy fix.

cheers
jo
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 22:46   #14
dlcollett

Default Dipped Beam Failure - Both Lights?

Hi Beano5892,

Was the failure on your D5 with both lights or just a single light? What I am trying to confirm is that power goes from the fuses under the bonnet to a relay on the CENT module...which is the more expensive one. In other words, are there two fuses for the running lights in the fuse block in the footwell?
dlcollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 11:30   #15
Gingerboy99

Hi There,

We have not had our XC90 long and are now seeing this issue intermittently also, my wife took it into Volvo yesterday and of course it didn't happen, so they said as we have the high end lights (????) the bulb does not fail, they would need to diagnoes the issue. But it could be the light or a control unit at fault - either way it was an expensive fix.

After a bit of googling my wife also found that they this issue is common across the pond and they are looking into recalling it. She spoke to a very snotty woman at Volvo customer services yesterday who said that she was not aware of anything like this and even though the problem seems to be exactly the same they are in a different market - which is fair enough but even so it should be looked into surely?

dgungadoo - do you have a picture of the part you cleaned? I might try that first before shelling out for the garage to have a look.

Mine is only on one light.

Cheers in advance.

Simon.

Last edited by Gingerboy99; Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:58.
Gingerboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 04:27   #16
IndyVolvo1

I've had my 2005 XC90 for about 2 years. In the last week the info screen indicated a low beam failure. I replaced the light. While I had the lighting assembly housing still removed from the vehicle and facing the windshield, with the wiring harness connected, I started the vehicle and noticed the low beam lights for a brief moment (1 second or less) and then cuts out - with the info screen again indicating low beam failure - it does this every time I turn the key off and then back on. All other lights are fine.

I am going to swap the right headlight assembly with the left to see if it's a problem in the assembly or somewhere else.

I have a bad feeling about this.
IndyVolvo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 05:44   #17
AKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Caution advised here...I've had Volvo dip beam bulbs flashing off and on every so often and it's always been a failed bulb. The Volvo bulbs use very strong filaments and they can break but still make contact a lot of the time. Try a new bulb before you go fiddeling with anything else.

Roy
I agree with Roy...had a similar issue with my car (not a volvo) the garage just kept reseating the light, didn't solve the problem...a new xenon bulb fixed the problem.
AKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 15:34   #18
IndyVolvo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyVolvo1 View Post
I've had my 2005 XC90 for about 2 years. In the last week the info screen indicated a low beam failure. I replaced the light. While I had the lighting assembly housing still removed from the vehicle and facing the windshield, with the wiring harness connected, I started the vehicle and noticed the low beam lights for a brief moment (1 second or less) and then cuts out - with the info screen again indicating low beam failure - it does this every time I turn the key off and then back on. All other lights are fine.

I am going to swap the right headlight assembly with the left to see if it's a problem in the assembly or somewhere else.

I have a bad feeling about this.
After posting the above, my second low beam - driver's side - went out with the same symptom. Repair shop first tried what they called 'connectors' but replacing those did not work. Now they are telling me that a module is what they need to replace. I'm preparing to call Volvo monday morning to let them know I'm on my third Volvo and perhaps last if I have to pay for a nickel of this.
IndyVolvo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 21:06   #19
Darrenwilliams

Default Any progress on this?

Just wondering if anyone has made any progress as this fault seems to be slowly spreading? Is recall a possibility? Are there any solutions?
Darrenwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 17:12   #20
artwilliam

wow mine blew the other day too!

Ended up having to buy a rather expensive new Xenon bulb which thankfully fixed the problem.
artwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulb, electronics, failure, volvo, xc90