Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

starting

Views : 838

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 26th, 2004, 20:25   #1
watering can

Just recently I have encured a starting problem, with my 850 the engine starts 1st time, you can drive it a couple miles stop get out when you go back to starting the car it will not start, the same problem has also happend whilst cleaning windows from ice.I started the car let it run whilst cleaning the windows and to warm up & then it stopped then it will not start, on 1 occasion I called out the
(RAC they came out & started the car, it started 1st time for them. apparently it appears that it floods something in the engine is telling the car that it is cold still & pushes more fuel in than neccessary what they told me.)

has anyone else had this problem & is there a cure.
the car is great if you get in the car & drive 10miles but if you do very short jounery when it is cold it doesnt like it..
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 18:27   #2
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: starting

A lot of people have had the same problem. Our engines dont like being run for a short time. It seems to flood the engine. However I have never had the problem myself and I always start the engine to get it out the garage, turn it off to close the door and start the car again. I'd leave it running but my drive is very steep and I like to leave the car in gear to stop it rolling away.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:26   #3
cjboddy2

Hello,

I had the same problem with my old 2.0 20v. In fact it had to be towed to my local garage and spent the best part of 2 weeks having ignition bits pulled apart, tested, replaced etc etc. With no joy.

It wasn't until I called in at my local volvo dealer and mentioned this to them that I found out it was a common problem. The guy said it's usually a monday morning problem for them during the summers because people take the car out of the garage to get the mower out then stop it. When they come to put it back it refuses to start ! He said to keep cranking it and it will eventually start.

I called my the garage where my car was and told him this. 20 mins later he called back with it running in the background ! From that moment on I've avoided starting and stopping them quick and I've never had problems since.

Craig

97 850 T5 CD Est Auto
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 23:31   #4
Dazman

Yep its a common thing my 850 2.0 10v doesn't like being started for a short period and then stopped. If I get the mower out of the garage I drive the car round the block as I've been caught out before and had to call the AA out

Like other posters have said keep on cranking it and it will eventualy start but make sure your battery is up to the job.

Dazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 08:39   #5
mraldonnelly

When it fails to start, pull the fuse that relates to the fuel pump and crank it a few times to clear any un-burnt fuel from the chamber. The pop the fuse back in and try again.

Having said that, your problem sounds a little different to the 850 flooding problem. Sure, they don't like being started and then stopped straight away but if you're driving a couple of miles and it's still flooding then there's another fault somewhere.

Have you pulled the fault codes?

Regards

Andy
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 22:13   #6
cboswell

Hi, just had this problem again, the ignition fault codes gave RPM sensor faulty/missing. If it happened before it eventually started but this time I struggled for ages and it still wouldn't go. My mate gave me a tow start and it fired almost imediately. I reckon it wasn't turning fast enough to register on the rpm sensor but being towed it did. Hope this helps if it happens to anyone.
cboswell is offline   Reply With Quote