Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Idling / Starting advice for a 1990 240 GL Estate

Views : 2970

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 15:19   #11
Peter D
Peter D

It would be wise to check the Temperature sensor. It has two resistors who's value drop with temperature. You will need a meter and measure each of the two contacts to ground. They chould be the same value as each other and if hot will be aroud 250 ohms and 2500 ohms cold. One feeds the temp gauge the other is used to control the cold start choke. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:26   #12
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Are you sure about that Peter? Mine has two separate sensors. The one under the intake for cylinders 1/2 is for the temp gauge, the other under cylinder 3 is for the management system. The are completely separate, and I thought the resistance to measure was simply that across the two terminals (small rectangular plug/socket). But may be there are other configurations?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 14:48   #13
Peter D
Peter D

I thought you had a B200F with Jetronic 2.4 Cliff. If that is the case then the temp sensor by number 3 is a dual temp sensor and the other you refer too slightly loer down and under numer 2/3 is the knock sensor with an angled connector on it. Regards Peter
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 19:33   #14
Peter D
Peter D

Ok if this engine is a 230 Kjet it still has an ECU but no diagnostic connector and as you stated Cliff a single contact temp sensor and a Thermal switch for the cold start which may be the problem. This sensor stays closde until about 35 degrees then it goes open cct. To test this you will need the engine cold and a meter ot bulb. If you remove the connector and probe it with the two wires of the bulb or a meter and get someone to crank the engine over the bulb should light or the meter read 10 to 12 volts DC. If this is OK then turn off the ignition and measure the resistance across the two pins of the cold start injector and come back to the forum with results. if it measures 10 to 20 ohms then that is not the problem and put it all back together and come back here. There is no idle control valve on the CIS but an Aux Air valve which if thermally controlled and can be tested in situ initially my removing the connector and measuring the resistance of internal heeating element at about 30 ohms. if it is high resistance then this is the problem. Come back to the forum. Regards Peter
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:33   #15
Celestia

Well I managed to get my head under the bonnet this morning.

Both the aux air valve and the cold start injector seems to be working fine.

Peter, my engine is a B200E with k jet system, so I am not sure where the Temperature Sensor would be?

I have read that another thing that could help is to clean the throttle body. Although I have seen diagrams of this on other engines I have not been able to locate a diagram of one on a B200E engine. Is this attached to the underside of the intake manifold above the bellows?

I have also ordered spark plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor arm, as I am not sure when this were last replaced.

Debbie
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 16:31   #16
Peter D
Peter D

Cleaning the throttle boby is not at all easy on this model and I don't think it is your problem anyway. The temp sensor is loacated under the inlet manifold of No 3/4 cylinder. I have been looking up you year and engine code and have to question what injection system you have. Can you send me a digital photogrargh of you engine to Tech@volvo240.co.uk so I can see what you have incase I mis-lead you. Regards Peter
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 17:11   #17
Celestia

Thanks Peter, I have emailed some photos for you.

Debbie
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 17:31   #18
Peter D
Peter D

Ok I have your photos and immediately question the K&N air Filter. I looked back and this car is clearly new to you and I suspect you have always had this problem. If yes then you park the car next overvight wrap cling film around the the bottom 3/4 of the air filter i.e. from the smaller end. In the morning start her, otr in your case Him up and try reving the engine. If Ok then the so called permanace air filter is the problem. The K jectronic is very critical on air flow and vacuum particularly when cold and the air control valve and the air and control valve will not like that air filter. TRy it and come back with the results. I also do not like the 114 114 written on the cam belt cover I think that might be a scrapyard replacement engine but hey that another matter. Regards Peter
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 17:45   #19
Celestia

Okies thanks Peter. The cling film is on and will report back tommorrow.

I must admit we did question the air filter and we were told it shouldn't make that much difference .. we shall see tommorrow

Re the 119119, I was led to beleive that was when the belt was last changed as the mileage is just over 120600. How could I tell if it *has* had an engine replacement?

Debbie
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 18:18   #20
Peter D
Peter D

Could be, although I think it's 114 114. Look at the cam belt cover retaining bolt to the right of the cover. Is it all rusty aor does it look as though it has been removed recently, and check the other bolts. Cam belts on these are 70/80K on these. Peter