Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another year, another 37,000 miles

Views : 583

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:13   #1
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Smile Another year, another 37,000 miles

Last month was MOT time again for my 245 GLT. I have to admit that it failed - I didn't check the bottom ball joints which I replaced last year and one was very badly worn! Continuing my process of planned repairs and preventative maintenance I have had a reasonable year with the car. The early part of the year saw me replacing a front wheel bearing (another faulty new part that lasted about 8k miles). I decided to renew the clutch which had not been working properly and occasionally slipping since I had the car. The clutch was near the end of its life but the problem lay with the master cylinder which was missing its spring and the probable cause of the slipping. This and the slave cylinder were replaced with nearly new secondhand units just in time for my holiday trip to France which saw me with major pressurisation of the engine throwing oil out - overcome by loosing the cap! This resulted in the head being replaced as this seemed the cause of the problem pressurising via worn valve guides. There were problems with on going leaks from oil seals which had blown from this pressurisation. Once these were sorted normal service was resumed. January came and I decided the brakes could wait no longer - they were well past there best and pulling slightly to one side. New master cylinder. front flexis and calipers plus new discs, pads all round and new handbrake shoes sorted the most important part of the car. The set of tyres fitted this time last year were down to about 2mm and so replaced. The strut tops replaced for the last MOT were in a terrible state and had to be replaced again and of course a bottom ball joint.
The car now has over 272,000 and I acquired it two years ago with 197,750 on the clock.
This years running costs on repairs was in the region of £500 and about £3000 for lpg. That makes £3500 for 37,000 miles plus about 4 days labour for us. Running costs of not more than 10p a mile - makes sense to me! Oh! and and probally 7,oo of that was with the Volvo trailer!

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 13:12   #2
dodgyken
Master Member

Wink Running Costs

You seem to have forgotton the cost of the MOT, insurance, Road Tax (I assume you have some) in your calculation.

Does the £500 include tyres?

I am only teasing!!! A full calculation on mine comes to 29p per mile including petrol.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 22:32   #3
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Fair comment about standard costs MOTs only cost me £30, didn't inc raod tax. and always disregard insurance as its not vehicle specfic being Motor Traders covering my 3 and my son's 2 plus anything else we're driving for about a grand a year for us both. The set of tyres just escaped this 12 months. One set just before the previous MoT another set immediately after the MOT. I cannot set costs in stone as I regularly aquire new old stock and good secondhand parts plus job lots but figures are a quick guesstimate.
Thanks for your interest.
Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote