Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Automatic Wipers & Headlights

Views : 752

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2017, 14:02   #1
Calc
ex Land Rover defector

Default Automatic Wipers & Headlights

Whenever I start the car, it seems that the automatic headlight and automatic wiper options have to be selected again - which isn't very automatic!

Is it possible to have them 'automatically' activated every time I start the car? If for some reason I ever want to turn them off, I'm happy to deselect them. But for a car with so many features and such a lot of customisation allowed, I can't understand why I seem to have to keep manually turning on automatic functions!
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 14:09   #2
uro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calc View Post
Whenever I start the car, it seems that the automatic headlight and automatic wiper options have to be selected again - which isn't very automatic!

Is it possible to have them 'automatically' activated every time I start the car? If for some reason I ever want to turn them off, I'm happy to deselect them. But for a car with so many features and such a lot of customisation allowed, I can't understand why I seem to have to keep manually turning on automatic functions!
Not for the Headlights but you can activate "remember wiper status" in the settings.
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 14:11   #3
FooMan
First time Volvo owner

See Activating/deactivating the memory function for the wipers
The Following User Says Thank You to FooMan For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 14:15   #4
Calc
ex Land Rover defector

Quote:
Originally Posted by uro1 View Post
Not for the Headlights but you can activate "remember wiper status" in the settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooMan View Post
Brilliant! Thank you both.
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 14:17   #5
Calc
ex Land Rover defector

Quote:
Not for the Headlights
Given that they've sorted this for wipers, I wonder why not for lights too?

Easily done with a software upgrade, so fingers crossed it's something they feel worth adding in a future release. After all, with the wipers you don't have to activate the memory function.
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 14:23   #6
uro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calc View Post
Given that they've sorted this for wipers, I wonder why not for lights too?

Easily done with a software upgrade, so fingers crossed it's something they feel worth adding in a future release. After all, with the wipers you don't have to activate the memory function.
Lights are heavily regulated in most jurisdictions. The USA for example does not get automatic lights at all. So this might be a legal requirement.
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 14:30   #7
Calc
ex Land Rover defector

Quote:
Lights are heavily regulated in most jurisdictions. The USA for example does not get automatic lights at all. So this might be a legal requirement.
Good point and possibly the reason.

Fairly sure the Mercedes I was driving for a few weeks recently had it activated as standard, but it was linked to turning on main beam. So, it was automatically dipping the lights every time I turned on main beam, rather than having to separately activate it.

For me, that's a better way of requiring it to be human activated initially, rather than me suddenly realising the lights aren't self dipping after I've just dazzled someone!! Amazing how quickly we get used to having tech!!
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 15:03   #8
apnicolle

I'm slightly confused. If you have the column stalk set on auto for the lights, then they are always set to auto. The next step up is for the auto main beam thing (with led lights anyway) and that does have to be chosen manually each time (which I don't bother with as it then crashes sensus after half an hour of being selected).
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 15:43   #9
Baxlin
Old Rocker

I asked this question on the C70 forum, relating to the wipers, and was told the reason was that there was a danger that in frosty/icy weather if automatically selected, on starting the engine, they would sense the screen was 'dirty' and try to wipe. Not a good thing if the wipers are frozen to the screen. Remember it's a Swedish car........

Last edited by Baxlin; Jul 21st, 2017 at 15:45.
Baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 18:11   #10
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apnicolle View Post
I'm slightly confused. If you have the column stalk set on auto for the lights, then they are always set to auto. The next step up is for the auto main beam thing (with led lights anyway) and that does have to be chosen manually each time (which I don't bother with as it then crashes sensus after half an hour of being selected).
That's correct. Auto lights can be left permanently on.

However, Auto Auto, as I call it, which is where the active shadow system is turned on, does return to single-auto mode if the lights are dipped manually of ignition switched off.

Mine has never crashed Sensus.