Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 Flat Batter (Again!)

Views : 7704

Replies : 111

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:39   #71
mattsbroken440

cheers mate i'll try and give that a go.... so batteries tend to break if they get completely drained? ever heard of what it can be thats draining the battery on a 440? Matt
mattsbroken440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 14:02   #72
Bruce_T

Just an update.

Took my car to the garage and put their anologue meter on it, with everything on in my car, 4 fan speed, heated eats, headlights, fog, etc.

It was recieving 13.8v ish. So not getting a full whack. So poss alternator or wiring.

Both my + and - terminal clamps where broke. I replaced the negative one as it had snapped.

The posistive one was ok but loose ish. Ive replaced that and touch wood it seems ok at the moment.
Bruce_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 20:22   #73
jlgrosvenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_T View Post
Just an update.

Took my car to the garage and put their anologue meter on it, with everything on in my car, 4 fan speed, heated eats, headlights, fog, etc.

It was recieving 13.8v ish. So not getting a full whack. So poss alternator or wiring.
Have you checked the FAQ on here (Section 5?)

Thought I linked to this excellent guide earlier in the topic posts but couldn't find it with a quick glance.
jlgrosvenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:45   #74
Bruce_T

...and so the saga continue.

Last night from work she was slow to turn over.

This morning was worse, I was all ready to here clicking and have to jump it.

While I was outside the car removing some ice I could hear a belt slipping,

Im assuming this is the "fan belt" ie the belt on alternator.

This shouldnt happen, no?

How do I tighen the belt?

This is really starting to taint my ownership and im getting, reallyu getting close to getting very really annoyed!
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:47   #75
Bruce_T

I bought a 12v battery charger last night.

Removed my battery from the car.

Got the battery inside and tested the DC voltage - 12.14V somewhere between 25-50% SoC.

Ok, I put it on charge. Charging.

Started at 8PM. Took it off charge at 8:15am and it the charger did not indicate it was fully charged...?

Interesting huh.

Its back on the car now so Ill test the voltage tonight.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:11   #76
Mark480
Loser

You can tighten up the alternator, there is an adjuster nut if you bend over facing the engine with your knees on the bonnet and look up under the slam panel you will see it. Loosen off the larger nuts on the alternator's "hing" then tighten the small adjuster nut and it will take the slack of the alternator belt. I think for correct tension you s hould be ab le to twist the belt a quarter turn by hand. I'd also be buying a new battery.
Mark480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 19:38   #77
jlgrosvenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_T View Post
I bought a 12v battery charger last night.

Removed my battery from the car.

Got the battery inside and tested the DC voltage - 12.14V somewhere between 25-50% SoC.

Ok, I put it on charge. Charging.

Started at 8PM. Took it off charge at 8:15am and it the charger did not indicate it was fully charged...?

Interesting huh.

Its back on the car now so Ill test the voltage tonight.

The battery can take something like up to 18-24hrs to recharge, depending on condition. Leave it connected this Friday when you get home. Once it is fully charged, disconnect it (but don't use it) then check the charge after about 12 hours use. THIS* will give you the SoC of you battery minus whatever you car may be doing. Will be a good guide if the battery is OK because the voltage will show 100% SoC - especially if it is indoors in the warm.

If your auxiliary belt has been slippin' this could be a cause.
Good luck.

* I am of course assuming that you have nothing better to do with you weekends than sort pesky car problems out (I don't ), and that you will not need the car. If you do, this idea goes out the window
jlgrosvenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 21:06   #78
stevo48
Premier Member

I know your battery is not very old due to your earlier post, I am beginning to suspect you either have a faulty battery and /or your alternator could be getting duff as well.
It sounds almost as though you are charging the battery, then the car is running of the charge and not recharging as it should, I,m not really that familiar with the 440, how many belts does it have? the belt slipping noise could easily be the serpentine belt if fitted, if not it could be your alternator drive belt and if that is slipping I would be seriously considering a new alternator as it should spin fairly free and if not then it might indicate something wrong with the alternator.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 21:17   #79
johnrh

Default flat battery

hello bruce, i;m new to the forum but may be i can help, i have the same problem,everything is charging ok,alt ok newish battery,voltage regulator,its all been checked and everything is ok,but my batt is draining after a few hours,how ever,on turning off the ignition,i heard a click,from a relay situated on the inner wing,wired to the live battery terminal,just under the wiring loom.on checking this it was found to be draining 1 amp while the ignition was turned off,when disconnected there was no drain.the relay no is89931-1323592-1 now what i have to do is find what this relay is feeding,and thats the problem solved. doe,s anybody know what it feeds?i have a feeling it might solve a few peoples problems. hope this helps and many thanks john
johnrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:50   #80
Bruce_T

Thanks all.

I was not sure how long it would take to charge my battery as the SoC was around 25% SoC.

Ill take off on Friday night and charge till the charger says its good to go. I myself spend weekend fixing and breaking more things on my car lol. This weekend im removing the front seats to remove the carpet to wash out the coolant from when the Heater Matrix leaked. So I use the key etc and do that no need for the battery.

I not too good with belts etc, maybe someone else with knowledge could help me out with that? I *Think* the belt is an all in one from a brief look.

As for this relay... Does it do it as soon as the car ignition is turned off and the key removed or when the car is locked? I cant say ive heard it. Is it loud...? Ill have a quick listen to night. May I thank you for your persistant help with trying to stop my wonderful car from dying!