Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First time DIY... all did NOT go to plan!

Views : 28520

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2021, 08:41   #71
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post

fortunately i Do have a waterproof, padded , thermal "all in one" motorbike suit, (HG Tureg) but ice water Still finds its way down arms + neck,
... after more than 40 years of being a biker I've concluded there is no such thing as a waterproof motorbike suit :-)

PS. Skin is waterproof.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 21:19   #72
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... after more than 40 years of being a biker I've concluded there is no such thing as a waterproof motorbike suit :-)

PS. Skin is waterproof.
well you clearly havent tried a HG tureg warm + waterproof
you Dont get a "soggy crotch" as you do in So many "FT" products,
*neck hole ends of sleeves and legs excluded
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 05:21   #73
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
well you clearly havent tried a HG tureg warm + waterproof
you Dont get a "soggy crotch" as you do in So many "FT" products,
*neck hole ends of sleeves and legs excluded
... 'but ice water Still finds its way down arms + neck' is not waterproof...

Perhaps I'm not as green as I am cabbage looking :-)

Alan
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 16:03   #74
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... 'but ice water Still finds its way down arms + neck' is not waterproof...

Perhaps I'm not as green as I am cabbage looking :-)

Alan
no but nit picking for the sake of it is SO tiresome and childish
grow up
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 16:11   #75
ITSv40
VOC Member

As I stand guilty of derailing Ilmoint's thread, can we get back to the important matter in hand?

Ilmoint. How is your sump plug?
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 16:36   #76
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
no but nit picking for the sake of it is SO tiresome and childish
grow up
How rude.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 19:00   #77
ilmiont
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
As I stand guilty of derailing Ilmoint's thread, can we get back to the important matter in hand?

Ilmoint. How is your sump plug?
My sump plug is still stuck to my sump

Nothing more to say, myself and the car are still in Scotland and not travelling back home until Sunday. The following weekend I'll then look to start resolving this as she will then be really due an oil change.

So far we've driven 2,700 miles this month and it will be more like 3,500 miles before we're back home. The oil has continued to darken and is now reasonably thick on the dip stick when cold in the morning. Added 0.5l of 0W-30 yesterday as it was down to one and a half crosses on the dip stick. Consumption has therefore been a little below expectations.

I am having to cross a mountain every morning with a 1 in 4 incline on single track hairpins four miles from my accommodation. This doesn't feel kind on a cold engine! By the time we get to the steep bit, the temp needle is a notch away from normal position. It would be a fun road to push hard up but not on cold oil.

Brilliant fun generally though, hope I'm not speaking too soon but but the car's running faultlessly on superlative roads and scenery. Our longest single day was 495 miles on Tuesday, reaching Dunnet Head the most northerly point of the mainland. I plan to add some photos to my showroom thread soonish.

Incidentally, did I see anyone here in Oban on Monday? I noticed a man wearing a Volvo cap. I didn't have any Volvo attire visible at the time so you wouldn't have spotted me! Also in Oban I found an early P2 V70 T5 parked on the high street, and as I was leaving, a blue H-reg 240 saloon was being trailered through the town! I think the front grille was missing but it otherwise looked intact from the very brief glance I had of it. A strange series of events, all in the same place, within an hour of each other.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ilmiont For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 21:43   #78
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
My sump plug is still stuck to my sump

Nothing more to say, myself and the car are still in Scotland and not travelling back home until Sunday. The following weekend I'll then look to start resolving this as she will then be really due an oil change.

So far we've driven 2,700 miles this month and it will be more like 3,500 miles before we're back home. The oil has continued to darken and is now reasonably thick on the dip stick when cold in the morning. Added 0.5l of 0W-30 yesterday as it was down to one and a half crosses on the dip stick. Consumption has therefore been a little below expectations.

I am having to cross a mountain every morning with a 1 in 4 incline on single track hairpins four miles from my accommodation. This doesn't feel kind on a cold engine! By the time we get to the steep bit, the temp needle is a notch away from normal position. It would be a fun road to push hard up but not on cold oil.

Brilliant fun generally though, hope I'm not speaking too soon but but the car's running faultlessly on superlative roads and scenery. Our longest single day was 495 miles on Tuesday, reaching Dunnet Head the most northerly point of the mainland. I plan to add some photos to my showroom thread soonish.

Incidentally, did I see anyone here in Oban on Monday? I noticed a man wearing a Volvo cap. I didn't have any Volvo attire visible at the time so you wouldn't have spotted me! Also in Oban I found an early P2 V70 T5 parked on the high street, and as I was leaving, a blue H-reg 240 saloon was being trailered through the town! I think the front grille was missing but it otherwise looked intact from the very brief glance I had of it. A strange series of events, all in the same place, within an hour of each other.
As you have the filter + oil changed planned going a Little over the "idea" as recommended wont cause any issues.
most modern oils will still be doing there job Way past the recommended service intervals.
i wouldnt put Too much stock on the oil colour, it will darken and in the main a Lot quicker than you would give credit.

Still dont envy you the fun task of sorting the stuck plug

Do envy the tour of scotland
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 00:18   #79
Christerart
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
Writing this as a brief recount of my efforts today as a complete novice DIY-er. A tale mostly of frustration, punctuated with a few moments of satisfaction.

The day is over, I did what I could, feeling quite unsure whether I'm more happy or fed up really. Anyone got any ideas on the sump plug? I don't think I should try anything until I've got a new one though, and I'm not sure where I'd get one of them on a Sunday!

Don't give up on the oil change - get a vacuum pump - about £50 on the web. That's how I've been changing the oil on my '05 D5 XC70 since I bought her two years ago.

Works like a charm..
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 13:49   #80
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
Don't give up on the oil change - get a vacuum pump - about £50 on the web. That's how I've been changing the oil on my '05 D5 XC70 since I bought her two years ago.

Works like a charm..
as a convert to the vacuum pump option i'd naturally agree,
i can see the "ah" tho with leaving a mullered sump plug in and knowing it is in operable / seized in place And chewed like a soggy toffee

finding a workshop / garage with a lift they rent out and tackling it yourself
with the various extraction tools/ methods in the thread could be an option,
it Is easier to get the leverage, access and purchase with the car up in the air V flat on your back with axle stands/home ramps.
Might be cheaper than getting a workshop/garage to do it IF there is one local you trust,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: