Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 electric side mirrors

Views : 1071

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:59   #1
donman

Hello everyone

I cannot adjust the passenger side mirror of my S40 properly. It will not move down. But it will move Left - Up - Right.

Any suggestions
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 20:19   #2
TomW

Default Mirrors adjustment

I've just bought an S40 1.8 S. It's the 2002 model. Can you tell me if I have electrically adjustable door mirrors. I've tried fiddling with the switchs in front of the electric window controls on the drivers door and nothing happens.
There's no large manual adjustment leaver to grab and adjust them so think they must be electrically adjusted.
Can anyone help

Tom
TomW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 20:31   #3
morphinemitt
My nipper said!

Donman, have you tried pushing the glass of the mirror in the direction you want it to go, mine got stuck and this seemed to sort it.
Hope this helps.

Tom, you should have a square directional switch for the mirrors on the drivers door handle and just above it will be another tiny rectangular toggle switch witch switches from left to right. This may be stuck in the middle position, stopping the mirrors from working.
Good luck
morphinemitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:22   #4
scottjm

Default I have exactly the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by donman View Post
Hello everyone

I cannot adjust the passenger side mirror of my S40 properly. It will not move down. But it will move Left - Up - Right.

Any suggestions
I have a 1999 (T) S40 XS with the same problem, did you have any luck finding a solution?
The mirror moves up and down but not side to side, when I try and push it it feels loose, could it just be popped out of a bracket or something?
Does anybody know how to fix the mirror glass and "pop it back in"?
Thanks in advance
Scott
scottjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:37   #5
mharriso
Master Member

Re the mirrors, i was reading the haynes the other night and it said to remove the mirror glass rotate the lense so as to make a gap on the outside edge, i.e. angle it in toward the car fully.
Then to prise the glass forward carefully... it made particular point to this... i.e. the glass is real easy to break......
I am sorry i haven't tried this myself to offer anything further...

As usual it says refit is the reverse etc...very helpful....

But at least if you get the lense out you can see the mouting .. if not broken, i suggest using some lube to ease refittingsoapy water tends to get washed out afterwards so will allow the lense to be retained more securely....
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:49   #6
catflem
Master Member

I had a similar problem on a Calibra, it turned out that the mirror had popped out of it clips - possibly due to being moved to far in the direction that it had popped out of (if that makes sense). It does sound odd that yours may appear to have popped out of several clips at once.

I placed a cloth over the mirror and gently braced it whilst getting the other half to move the switch, the clips then popped back into place.

If you can hear the motor moving when you move the switch Left-right-up, you may also hear the clips touching the back of the mirror. If so, I would try the above method first. I would only disassemble the mirror as a last resort as they are very fragile. If the glass is the heated type I would also hazard a guess that the replacement glass is very expensive, so be careful out there.

Cheers
catflem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:24   #7
Jackthelad

I have the same problem on my drivers side mirror, and the switch is my fault. With some wiggiling of the button, and pusing it diagonally up, it works.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:38   #8
bigandquick
Premier Member

Move the mirror glass inwards as far as it will go. This will open up a gap on the outer edge.
Look down between the lens and housing (a torch might help) and you'll be able to see the motor and locating lugs on the back of the lens.
Carefully prise the lugs on the outer side of the lens free (a screwdriver is useful) and once you have a couple free the rest is easy.
Once the lens is out you'll be able to test the mechanism for full operation.
Check the condition of the securing lugs - if any are damaged then you'll need a new lens anyway.
Refitting is straightforward. Locate the inboard lugs first, only apply pressure on the lens directly over the lugs but firm pressure is required. It may be necessary/easier to use a screwdriver again to locate the last outboard lug.
I've replaced/removed a few of these with no breakages. They are stronger than they look, they are on a plastic mounting.

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote