Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would u service a 129K V40 T4 (1999)@indpndnt Volvo garage?

Views : 770

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2007, 16:53   #1
naxnax

Question Would u service a 129K V40 T4 (1999)@indpndnt Volvo garage?

Hi all I'm a fresh one to this site. This forum is fantastic, I’ve managed to go through quite a few of your posts trying to investigate two issues I have with my recent purchase of a Volvo v40 T4(1999). I am hoping one of you Volvo gurus or lesser guru’s can give me some guidance.

I’ll post the second issue separately as that’s the one that’s really giving me problems.

I am at two minds as to servicing the car at a Volvo independent garage or should I just take it to the local garage? Cost is an issue (when isn’t it?!!  ) but then again a Volvo outfit would be a lot more familiar with the workings and spot problems quicker right? Some of u say don't bother do it at a local garage and others say go to an independent

Would like to hear your thoughts and as to where to take it, any of you folks used the following garages? I am based in East London. Many thanks Nax

SWEDISH MOTOR SERVICES
WALTHAMSTOW
LONDON E17

JC Garage
Plumstead
London SE18 7JJ

BRAYDON MTR. CO. LTD
5 DOWNS ROAD
LONDON E5 8QY

SOTOS KONTOPHYRGOS UNIT 1,
SOUTHGATE
LONDON N14 6LD

INDEPENDENT VOLVO SERVICES
LETCHWORTH
HERTFORDSHIRE
SG6 1HB
naxnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 17:08   #2
caveman
Premier Member

well if you can afford circa £85 +vat at a dealer for labour!
id take it to an indy, there are some very good ones about!
i dont live in london so ive not got an opinion on the indies on your list, but ive noticed braydon being mentioned on here quite a few times.
regards
cavey
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 20:33   #3
naxnax

£85 + vat seems very reasonable, I'll find out what Braydon charge and book it in. I too have come across that name from posters in the forum.

Thanks caveman for the advice.
Old May 11th, 2007, 20:59   #4
andykem

Smile That's NOT £85 for a service!

I'm sure that caveman just said that the HOURLY RATE was £85 +VAT! Mutiply that by about 3 and add the parts to get the Service cost.
HTH
andykem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 21:01   #5
caveman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykem View Post
I'm sure that caveman just said that the HOURLY RATE was £85 +VAT! Mutiply that by about 3 and add the parts to get the Service cost.
HTH
yes, sorry i should have stated that is circa £85 + vat PER HOUR!!!
+ parts
regards
cavey
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 21:38   #6
Chris1Roll

I would recommend doing it yourself, its not hard, if you take it to a garage quite often you'll only get the work experience lad doing it anyway!
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 21:44   #7
naxnax

Yes I only realised after I replied to caveman that its £85 + vat /hour. I couldn't even get my old Honda civic serviced for less than £100 all in, thats when the penny dropped.

Anyway I always had a figure of about £500 for the complete job in my mind. Any more than that and that's nearly half of what I paid for it!!!!

cheers for advice
nax