Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Track rod ends

Views : 2402

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2019, 23:30   #1
Kev0607
Premier Member

Default Track rod ends

Hi,

I've noticed there's a knocking noise on my 2007 S80 2.4 D, particularly on the driver's side of my car. So I had a quick glimpse whilst someone was rocking the steering for me (This is when I hear the noise most) & it appears its coming from the inner track rod.

I rang Volvo for a quote & it was £90 each for the inner ones! This sounds extortionate! Are there any aftermarket reputable brands that you would recommend or a suggestion as to where I may be able to look? Euro Car Parts seem to stock them, but the usual message about there being different fitments pops up. Its annoying when you try to do a job and the parts the suppliers tell you are right end up being wrong!

I'm guessing it makes sense to replace the inner track rods & outer in pairs, seeming though you have to remove one to replace the other? Also, is it a necessity to have the special removal tool, or would a big socket do the job?

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 20th, 2019 at 23:33.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 15:50   #2
V70Zig
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Hi,

I've noticed there's a knocking noise on my 2007 S80 2.4 D, particularly on the driver's side of my car. So I had a quick glimpse whilst someone was rocking the steering for me (This is when I hear the noise most) & it appears its coming from the inner track rod.

I rang Volvo for a quote & it was £90 each for the inner ones! This sounds extortionate! Are there any aftermarket reputable brands that you would recommend or a suggestion as to where I may be able to look? Euro Car Parts seem to stock them, but the usual message about there being different fitments pops up. Its annoying when you try to do a job and the parts the suppliers tell you are right end up being wrong!

I'm guessing it makes sense to replace the inner track rods & outer in pairs, seeming though you have to remove one to replace the other? Also, is it a necessity to have the special removal tool, or would a big socket do the job?

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
If it is the inner's and they are now 12 years old (don't know your mileage). but at £90 each doesn't sound bad to me.
Meyle and Lemforder are good makes, but I would definitely avoid any others other than Volvo's own...........

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 20:16   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Zig View Post
If it is the inner's and they are now 12 years old (don't know your mileage). but at £90 each doesn't sound bad to me.
Meyle and Lemforder are good makes, but I would definitely avoid any others other than Volvo's own...........
Fair point (101k on my car) I rang a local parts store & they asked if it has Sensotronic? I don't know what that is.
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 20:30   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Does anyone know what Sensotronic is?
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 10:46   #5
Model flyer
Master Member

Sorry misread post . Loads on e-bay . Buy from a dealer with good feedback and a known brand or visit your local motor parts factor . Should be able to get them a lot cheaper .

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos

Last edited by Model flyer; Jun 23rd, 2019 at 10:50.
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 13:57   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
Sorry misread post . Loads on e-bay . Buy from a dealer with good feedback and a known brand or visit your local motor parts factor . Should be able to get them a lot cheaper .
I had a look on Euro Car Parts. Lemforder inner track rods are £45 each, but a message pops-up saying to check the fitment description. I read that & it says that the Lemforder's are for vehicles with speed sensitive steering only. Does the S80 have this? I'm guessing this is why my local parts store asked if the car had Sensotronic, but I didn't know.
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 15:10   #7
V70Zig
Master Member

Quote:
I had a look on Euro Car Parts. Lemforder inner track rods are £45 each, but a message pops-up saying to check the fitment description. I read that & it says that the Lemforder's are for vehicles with speed sensitive steering only. Does the S80 have this? I'm guessing this is why my local parts store asked if the car had Sensotronic, but I didn't know.
First reason to go to a main dealer..........they should get it right.

FRF in Swansea offer members a 30% discount....but there is postage.

Lastly......inner rods are not that prone to wear and cause knocking, are you absolutely sure that's the issue ?

Quote from your first post - "it appears its coming from the inner track rod".

Last thing you want to do is replace parts that don't solve your problem.

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 16:32   #8
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
I always thought that was a Mercedes thing. A type of DSTC set up. Not quite sure how that fits in with a track rod! Unless they got their words mixed up and meant something like Geartronic? Would track rods differ between auto and manual boxes?
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 17:44   #9
dingov70
Master Member

Lastly......inner rods are not that prone to wear and cause knocking, are you absolutely sure that's the issue ?

Not wishing to be a bore , but as an MOT tester I see worn inner rack joints daily , some far worse than others . The wear does lead to knocking & can be mistaken for outer track rod ends / anti roll bar drop links / strut top mountings / ball joints or wheel bearings when checking .
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 19:05   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Zig View Post
First reason to go to a main dealer..........they should get it right.

FRF in Swansea offer members a 30% discount....but there is postage.

Quote from your first post - "it appears its coming from the inner track rod".

Last thing you want to do is replace parts that don't solve your problem.
I'm going to double check, but I'm fairly positive the inner track rods are shot. I need to get the car up on jacks and have a proper suspension check with a pry bar. However, I still think they're the problem. Inner track rods are prone to wear & are often overlooked.

The garage you mentioned in Swansea offering discount. What do you have to be a member of to get it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by*Kev0607*

I always thought that was a Mercedes thing. A type of DSTC set up. Not quite sure how that fits in with a track rod! Unless they got their words mixed up and meant something like Geartronic? Would track rods differ between auto and manual boxes?

@tommyweaves - I'm thinking the same. I doubt a gearbox has anything to do with track rods.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 23rd, 2019 at 19:09.