Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 sockets + compass mirror

Views : 945

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 18:53   #1
rob s80

Default V70 sockets + compass mirror

Howdy all, long time since I was on here (since I sold the S80 a long time ago)

Now I'm back with a 2009 V70 2.4 D SE Lux geartronic

The radio system has phone but uses simcard, do these not have Bluetooth ?

The 2 power sockets in the center console near handbrake don't work, nor does the compass on the rear view mirror (unsure if it auto dims yet because have yet to drive in dark !)

However the socket in the boot does work ! Sat nav , sunroof etc all good !

Also twice so far power has refused to come on completely, I think I've it narrowed down to the battery either being too small or connections not great (battery fair bit smaller than tray) a small and a push on the connections bring it all back

Sorry for long post, all help much appreciated

Edit: just tested it and the mirror is auto dimming so whatever about that part ! Just the compass not appearing on it

Last edited by rob s80; Jun 23rd, 2019 at 19:07.
rob s80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 20:24   #2
37 RUBY
Master Member

I read somewhere that there is a hole underneath the mirror into which a paperclip can be inserted to switch the compass on and off...I think?
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 20:52   #3
rob s80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
I read somewhere that there is a hole underneath the mirror into which a paperclip can be inserted to switch the compass on and off...I think?
Hi, thank you for the reply

I read that myself too today while looking it up

This one seems a shade different, there's a pin hole on the back of it when I can fit a paperclip into and I have tried this but it doesn't seem to be reacting but also I can't feel a button as such, or possibly I'm not in deep enough for it,

I'm unsure but I will give that another go tomorrow, my concern is could a blown fuse or underpowered battery be causing it to not turn on I wonder ?
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 21:27   #4
volvoski

How do you know if your car has the compass in the mirror? My wife’s car is a Lux XC70.
volvoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 21:48   #5
ferg55

Are you sure the compass mirror is fitted? The SE Lux spec got watered down during the model years, I think. (Wasn't the passenger electric seat omitted at some point, then reinstated?)

The paperclip hole will likely be present regardless of the compass being fitted or not, as the mirror housing will no doubt be the same plastic moulding used for all mirror variants.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 22:15   #6
rob s80

Good evening lads,

100% the mirror does also act as a compass

I fear the garage changed the battery in the car between taking the pictures and me getting it so again being an odd battery I wonder is that the cause of the issues I'm having or could it be fuses for both the sockets and compass.

The intermittent start fault was a gamble I took, the garage mentioned it was in Volvo for a new module and ignition set up for about 1,500quid but the two times it happened to me I pushed the battery connections into place and it came back to life.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 20:33   #7
rob s80

Just to update lads,

Fixed the power sockets in the center console. Was only a fuse under the bonnet thankfully.

The battery fault I was experiencing was just a case of wrong battery fitted and bad connection so got a new battery fitted OE spec, so hopefully that's the job now. ( I noticed since that the power windows are moving faster than before, the previous battery was too small power wise and physical size wise)

The compass I can't suss, I'm going to try a correct pin in the back of it but it anyone has any suggestions for it I'd appreciate the help

Thanks again !
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 08:18   #8
grey

Hi robs80
If you get the compass to come on you might have to recalibrate it by driving round in a figure of eight but sometimes they sort them selves out
The auto dimming mirror is a good feature to have
Good luck
grey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grey For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 18:51   #9
Boatie
Master Member

I know things had moved on by 2011 but my V70 SE Lux with sat nav didn't have a compass. It was compass or sat nav, not both .
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 20:55   #10
rob s80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
I know things had moved on by 2011 but my V70 SE Lux with sat nav didn't have a compass. It was compass or sat nav, not both .
I wonder might this be the issue, looking up the part number I found on the mirror it seems to bring back mirror and auto dimming with compass

I fear I got that one wrong, I'm very sorry for time wasting this one !

That's most of my questions answered now ! Sockets back working, mirror answered, battery sorted (bad terminals on end of red cables replaced)

Only question left on it is if it has a phone system with Sim card, does it not have Bluetooth in the system ?