Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

3.2SE Test drive

Views : 1743

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 11:39   #1
Bob
Club Director

Default 3.2SE Test drive

I had a drive of the S80 3.2 SE last night. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Nice.

It was dark so it took a while to check out all the controls, bit like a flight deck. Seating position was good and great all-round visibility. Nice big door mirrors with good rear view, not like some other cars that have sporty looking door mirrors but limited rear view.

Starting the car was reminiscent of the old Mini, press the 'Start' button, after pushing the 'key' into the slot. Press the same button to turn the engine off.

Cripes, where's the handbrake....oh it's a button under the dash now. OK we're on the move now.

Out into the unlit country lanes around Farnham, onto full beam. Wow, zillion candle power search lamps. Back to dip beam, hm it cuts off rather sharply and a tad low. Must be a beam height adjuster somewhere, but with all the other controls I am not going to look for it now.

The road was twisty and had a poor bumpy surface, but the suspension coped with all that with no problem producing a very smooth ride. Into geartronic 'sports' mode and open it up a bit. Just like being at work. The car handled extremely well. It took me a while to adapt to the positive and powerful brakes, but they instill great comfort in that they do what it says on the box.

Out onto the A355. Nearby was a series of tight bends going into a dip in the 50mph speed limit. Back into sports mode and hold a low gear through the bends. Not a murmur from the suspension; no roll at all. I kept it at 50 through the bends which is easier said than done in many cars, most people brake in the bends.

I found the throttle response in auto and sports very good and plenty of power feeding in very nicely. The steering was lighter than I am used to, similar to the SAAB, but very positive.

The car was solid on the road, steady all the time. Smooth and quiet, except when using sports mode through the rev range of the gears. The car produced a nice 'growl'.

Back in the car park and I had a look around the interior front and rear. Pure luxury. The boot lid was small but when I opened it up it was like Dr Who's TARDIS. There is a huge boot space. I could put my three grandchildren in there plus their luggage.

Did I like it? Yes indeed. Would I buy one? Yes indeed, if I had the money.

My thanks to Brain Gatward who brought it along and Fawcetts Volvo at Newbury for loaning the car. What you bringing next month Brian? V8 XC90 would be nice.

Bob

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 14:03   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Some peeps have all the luck...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 14:16   #3
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

I tested the diesel few months back. car looks great, love the nice touches inside especially how the keyfob gets sucked into its place but didnt like the diesel engine all all. sounded like a truck but it did have some pulling power in the low revs. Pity the dealer had no petrol version as a demonstrator at the time. Reading Bob's write-up, its a pity I never got to try it. Maybe next time.

Would I buy the S80? Just on looks alone, yes. That rear angle is so cool. Now I am off to get my lottery numbers in the hope that it could be me.
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 21:31   #4
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

remember the Volvo freedom drives are on over the rest of the year - though I think they'll only have the D5 to drive.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 00:03   #5
Volvophile
Premier Member

I didn't like it at all, too similar in styling to the old S80 and I hate the whole 'floating centre console' idea, it doesn't work on the big S80. The boot was big but the aperture was too narrow and it was too univolving to drive.

Volvo need to build more exciting executive cars, the S80 is like an old Ford Granada Scorpio, Opel/Vauxhall Omega, a big wafty exec cruiser. People don't want that nowadays. Volvo need to work on the S80's image and it's hard to believe it's based on a Mondeo which has a very talented chassis is strange, Volvo must have fettled with it a good bit. The D5 is also too unrefined and the V8 is too much of a guzzler.

Now I am a Volvo fanatic! It's just I feel the new S80 is very far off the mark and Volvo are being a bit lazy with it, they need to give it more of an image and improve dynamics.

That's my opinion on the new S80 people are free to disagree.

VolvoManS70

Last edited by Volvophile; Apr 11th, 2007 at 00:07.
Volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 22:11   #6
Blashford

I am thinking about buying a new XC70 but I have some doubts about the engines. D5 or 3.2.

I would really appreciate any information about the 3.2 engine. Fuel consumption, overtake capability, etc.
Blashford is offline   Reply With Quote