Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warning , S40/V40 4 cylinder petrol owners.

Views : 256024

Replies : 195

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 19:27   #41
theblues
I've Been Banned

OK cheers phew......will check tomorrow....
theblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 13:19   #42
theblues
I've Been Banned

yep as with every other person thats posted mine is rusting badly....
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 13:17   #43
theblues
I've Been Banned

Just got round to doing mine I moved the rediator fan out the way, good job I did the thing was totaly rusted and had left a load of rust on the rubber hose no way was a socket gonna get that of....how some of you guys make it sound so easy I dont know took me about an hour. easy if you can get right under the car...I'm a newbie and anyone else who's a bit of a newbie I would def do it this way..moving the fan ect.

Thanks OP and rufe for the part.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:27   #44
SteveL
It was alright yesterday!

Default It seems the diesel is the same

Just got this car (110K) 02 S40 D, had a check round at all the obvious stuff, thought i'd check the hoses even though it might not be applicable to this model.......oh yes it is, both top and bottom clips are badly (not yet critical) corroded...thanks for the info
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 14:38   #45
Keithv40

Thanks Clan, I'm another newbie, just bought a W reg V40, 94k - chuffed with it, very clean, including under the bonnet, thick folder of service history, most of it by main dealer. Only because of you I looked at the clip - looks OK for now - but is very rusty, much rustier than the other clips, gave it a good blast of WD40 in the hope that'll soak in making it easier to undo when I try getting it off in a few days time.

Very much obliged - clips are so much cheaper than engines!! Thanks also to Simon (Rufe) for the clip - excellent service - despite a postal strike!
Keithv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 14:41   #46
Keithv40

Sorry, please ignore this - haven't got the hang of this forum yet.

Last edited by Keithv40; Sep 11th, 2009 at 14:57. Reason: Wrong place for this post, please delete it?
Keithv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 18:51   #47
ade worcs

1997 v40 2.0--ok,another check to make is the metal pipe bolted to the R/H side chassis rail,that goes from the middle of the radiator to the header tank,mine has just started to leak due to corrosion
ade worcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 01:27   #48
beat106

Default S/V40 faults

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
In the last 6 weeks i have seen 2 engines wrecked by the lower radiator hose leaking coolant .
The cause is the hose clip around the lower radiator hose on the radiator end , the clip goes rusty and breaks , the pressure in the system ( 20 + psi ) will then blow the hose off and your coolant is gone in a matter of a couple of seconds . If this happens on the motorway which is more likely due to the higher rpm and hence pressure , you barely have time to pull over and stop before any damage occurs .
I would advise anybody with a S/V40 4 cylinder petrol engine to check their lower radiator hose clips / Best fit a new one anyway , a better quality stainless steel one as fitted as standard on the Swedish cars .... get a top hose clip for say a S60 T5 or something ...

This is not only applicable to older 1997 cars but ALL of them , one of the cars i saw was a 2003 .....
So it seems we have a nasty problem developing here
Check those hose clips .......

got a nother 1 for you un clip the bonnet release cable at the catch & well oil or grease or both . very common fault ,f snap
beat106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 01:44   #49
beat106

Default bonnet cable is a nother 1

hi guys the bonnet cable at the catch are bad for snaping ,take off & give it plenty oil down the cable or & grease .
hope this helps others
beat106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 00:10   #50
tonyj.007

I can confirm this.

I have a 99 S40 1.6. Mine went on the way to Scotland on the motorway. Temp shot up and had bags of steam coming from the bonnet. When i pulled over and checked, the jubilee clip had rusted so badly that it just snapped in half and the hose popped off and dumped all my coolant. Cost me about £1.50 for a pack of jubilee clips and just replaced them all....

No problems since.
tonyj.007 is offline   Reply With Quote