Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cam belt timing marks

Views : 1740

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2020, 12:10   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchael6 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I can only get the v of the cam to point to the side, towards me, rather than up when the dot is aligned to the back plastic.
If you're doing it from the drivers side then bearing in mind the engine is canted over by 20 degrees towards the drivers side, that would probably be about right. Also the two cam lobes forming a V pointing up is only an approximation to confirm neither valve is open, the timing mark is the important bit.

Basic timing diagram ^^^^^ and an early crank pulley showing timing marks. Later models had the timing marks on the plastic timing cover and the TDC mark is barely visible, many people have accidentally timed it on the 10 BTDC mark believing the "0" of the 10 to the right of the mark is 0 degrees but have in fact misread the marks.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 12:20   #12
zchael6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Some did learn it the hard way:

B200F seems to be interference engines

B2x4 are for 100% interference

B2xyK and B2xyH are interference too

Good luck,Kay
Mines a 1998 2.3lpt celebration with a b230fk I think
zchael6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zchael6 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 12:27   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
That's the first time I have ever seen that the B200F is an interference engine. Where did you get that info from?

Bob
A few poor unfortunates who've had a B200F bend valves on them!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 12:42   #14
zchael6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If you're doing it from the drivers side then bearing in mind the engine is canted over by 20 degrees towards the drivers side, that would probably be about right. Also the two cam lobes forming a V pointing up is only an approximation to confirm neither valve is open, the timing mark is the important bit.

Basic timing diagram ^^^^^ and an early crank pulley showing timing marks. Later models had the timing marks on the plastic timing cover and the TDC mark is barely visible, many people have accidentally timed it on the 10 BTDC mark believing the "0" of the 10 to the right of the mark is 0 degrees but have in fact misread the marks.

Thanks, I’m convinced the timing marks are all lined up properly. I’ve looked a loads of diagrams online watches videos etc. When I had the belt back on and the marks all aligned, I turned the key and absolutely nothing happened. I guess the battery could be dead? But I replaced that the other day.
The Following User Says Thank You to zchael6 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 12:53   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks, I’m convinced the timing marks are all lined up properly. I’ve looked a loads of diagrams online watches videos etc. When I had the belt back on and the marks all aligned, I turned the key and absolutely nothing happened. I guess the battery could be dead? But I replaced that the other day.
Did you get the normal warning lights on the dash in position 2 of the key? Also did you have the bonnet open and the underbonnet light on? Doors and/or tailgate open?

Old Mar 18th, 2020, 12:58   #16
zchael6

Got the bonnet and boot open, had the front right door open. When I turn the key to II all the dash warning lights have come on. When I turn to III nothing happens but a little tiny pop that sounds like the spark plugs

Haven’t got any of the drive belts on yet

Edit, closed all the doors bonnet and boot and it started up!

Last edited by zchael6; Mar 18th, 2020 at 13:03.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zchael6 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 13:04   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Got the bonnet and boot open, had the front right door open. When I turn the key to II all the dash warning lights have come on. When I turn to III nothing happens but a little tiny pop that sounds like the spark plugs

Haven’t got any of the drive belts on yet

Edit, closed all the doors bonnet and boot and it started up!
Have you got a voltmeter/multimeter?

Old Mar 18th, 2020, 13:05   #18
zchael6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Have you got a voltmeter/multimeter?
No. After closing everything including the bonnet it started up as normal. Thanks for all the help. Why wouldn’t it start with all that stuff open?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zchael6 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 13:25   #19
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Do this only at TDC cyl 1

good luck, Kay
What difference would that make ? You are only adjusting the tensioner. The cam cover is also in the way when you do this through the hole where the bung goes
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 14:03   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
What difference would that make ? You are only adjusting the tensioner. The cam cover is also in the way when you do this through the hole where the bung goes
Minimal rotary tension on the camshaft that could cause it to jump as the tensioner is released Mark. Brown trouser moment when that happens!

Many moons ago while changing the belt on my Rover, one of the valves in the rear bank was open just enough to cause it to shut on spring pressure from the valve springs, turning the cam backwards slightly and causing a trouser-filling metallic clang.

I got the job finished and started it with a little trepidation but i got away without any problems.

The other reason is that if something does go wrong for whatever reason, doing at @ TDC #1, you know where the various engine parts should be so won't have a problem starting from scratch.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: