Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

End of Sensus Support

Views : 4116

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 18:39   #31
V90Towman

I find i'm using the Android Auto and Google Maps as my go to Nav choice as someone already said its easy to voice command and gives real-time delays re-routes etc. Back to the fact that the SW will only be supported in a specific Model Year for X period of time it is partly a marketing ploy to get us into the latest and greatest. Also maybe a genuine support issue with old SW which would be too costly to overhaul and update. A final point, as our cars are becoming more connected to the net it opens us up to be prone to malicious attacks. I know many will say what is the risk? but if someone could hack in via the on-call and get access to private Sensus data addresses etc / phone numbers. There may be other threats as well just a thought; however i'm not a IT Security tech savy person but i'm sure it can be done. Maybe we are safer in 10 year old Volvos?
The Following User Says Thank You to V90Towman For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 11:46   #32
gds1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
In principle I agree with you but two incidents, one in France and one in Belgium last year persuaded me to upgrade my Sensus system on my return.

Both incidents involved new motorway junctions and lead to long unnecessary detours to get off the motorway.

I thought that the updates were available until 2025?
Hi I have been in contact with Customer Services re my 2013 XC60 D5 Nav Lux system. I had the system modified by my garage to accept future upgrades (at a cost of £150) last year.
Volvo CS replied to my query as follows

On Wednesday, 12 August 2020, 16:45:45 BST, Customer Relations UKIE, CUSTCARE <custcare@volvocars.com> wrote:

Good Afternoon Graham,

Thank you for your email.

We can confirm that the Sensus 2011 update was due to be released earlier this year, however this update has been delayed.

The team in Sweden have confirmed that this is due to be released later this year, however we have not been given any information in regards to an estimated date.

Please be assured that there will be an update in due course, so there will be no need to recover any costs for the modification.

When we have been given some more information about when the update we be released we will be sure to update you.

We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause but we thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Molly Bullen
Customer Operations Team Member | Uptime | UK

No firm date given but hope this helps!
gds1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 11:50   #33
gds1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
This is by no means urgent but I felt it would be worthwhile starting a thread to draw attention to the impending ending of Volvo support for map updating on the Sensus system. While I feel that this is disgraceful, the purpose of the thread is not for whingeing. Apparently, after 2020 there will be no new maps issued for the built-in Sensus system. This means that little by little owners will not be able to safely rely on their Volvo supplied navigation system. In the case of spare parts in Europe, manufacturers have to stock all parts for 10 years after a car ceases production. This does not seem to be the case with free issue software and Volvo are pulling the plug on their Sensus system regardless.

There are three possible courses of action that I see.

1. Owners bite the bullet and accept that their cars no longer have built-in navigation systems and buy stand-alone sat nav units and plug them into the car's electrical system and stick them on the windscreen. I had to do that with my previous cherished car but in that case the system dated back to the 1980s and was a very poor system at that. The Sensus system has its shortcomings but it is fully effective and to abandon it seems a shame.

2. Organise the largest possible campaign to lobby Volvo to encourage them to reverse their decision and to continue to support a system which is built into the cars that they sold. Amongst our membership there must be someone with the understanding of public relations, publicity and social media to apply pressure upon Volvo before the abandonment of the Sensus system is a done deal.

3. Is there someone who can investigate whether it is possible to change the software and use maps from ongoing sources. This is a long shot and for me an area well beyond my abilities, but the concept that software in the sat nav system could be re-written to allow the display system and the receiving aerial to operate and display a supportable GPS system would allow these high quality cars to continue to deliver what Volvo offered and are now about to withdraw.

I cannot say that I personally can do very much about headings 2. and 3. but at least I can open the debate which can perhaps enable someone who can bring about an effective solution to deliver what Volvo seems unable to do and enable me from having to go down the route of heading 1.
Hi I have been in contact with Customer Services re my 2013 XC60 D5 Nav Lux system. I had the system modified by my garage to accept future upgrades (at a cost of £150) last year.

On Wednesday, 12 August 2020, 16:45:45 BST, Customer Relations UKIE, CUSTCARE <custcare@volvocars.com> wrote:

Good Afternoon Graham,

We can confirm that the Sensus 2011 update was due to be released earlier this year, however this update has been delayed.

The team in Sweden have confirmed that this is due to be released later this year, however we have not been given any information in regards to an estimated date.

Please be assured that there will be an update in due course, so there will be no need to recover any costs for the modification.

When we have been given some more information about when the update we be released we will be sure to update you.

We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause but we thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Molly Bullen

gds1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 18:45   #34
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds1919 View Post

Good Afternoon Graham,

Kind Regards,

Molly Bullen

No it doesn't really help with the real problem that the update over which Volvo are dragging their feet, will be the last one and Molly Bullen didn't mention that in her "feel better" message. My original posting drew attention to the fact that the last update ever for the Sensus system, would be in 2020 and that is Molly's "happy" but somewhat disingenuous promise. She is not advising what is available after this promised update because the answer is SFA.

My plea to find some way to extend the use of the Sensus system still stands and bluff hearty advice that we can all drive and recognise a no entry sign or a canal bank when we see one and that we'll all get there sooner or later on unsuitable roads really doesn't help anyone except the bluff hearty adviser. Even satellite navigation suppliers recognise the implications of out of date maps and warn you that your map is out of date and it's not only to encourage you to buy a new one but to limit their liability should you have a sat nav related accident. Volvo really aren't the company they used to be both literally and figuratively!
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 22:00   #35
hamster

I asked in the Volvo dealership in Southampton today about getting an upgrade to my software in order to be able to upgrade my maps to the latest via USB and they were hesitant to offer this as they said there is a chance that it will damage the ECU or something due to the amount of data they are upgrading and this is apparently an expensive thing to replace.

Has anybody had this before?

I'm keen to upgrade my maps so I have anewere version as there are a few new roads and changes in speed limits etc that i've found.

2005 (05) V50 2.0d Manual. (Her car)
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 22:33   #36
george57l
George

Default More map stuff

Hamster - if you are talking about the cars under your sig, I have no idea if they are young enough to be installed with the software version that can be later upgraded to give you the 'update your own maps downloaded to a USB stick from Volvo' version.

But if it can (and you need to be sure of this first) then it sounds like the dealer is giving you the runaround and should be challenged (or find another dealer).

There are other threads on the forum talking about this. It's where I learnt about the fact I could get my 2011 reg (2012 MY?) V70 software updated to allow me to then update my maps. Maybe others can advise re your older car's software or there's a thread on that.

Last edited by george57l; Sep 3rd, 2020 at 22:35.
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 23:10   #37
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Or, they are loath to upgrade the Sensus system in order that you get just one free update before they pull the plug on Sensus map up-dates completely but they are embarrassed to tell you that.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 02:55   #38
Bashy
Aged Member

Sat nav map updates are a must to be honest, new road junctions can b a major pain if not updated and not to mention new housing estates, lets see you navigate to someone's house on a new build, ya old map from 1825 aint gonna cut the mustard there thats for sure.

I myself have used Waze (now google owned) since its inception (its free), even though i had sat nav it my Laguna 2008 and it had updated map (not the latest I might add), they have nothing on Waze, regularly updated by its users with alerts of road issues, ie, closures, police, accidents, and even pot holes and much more, also noteworthy are the users that update the map changes too, new roads, new signals etc, these are live updates, take a look. Also, downloading its only a fraction of what google maps is, but yeah, i also have google maps downloaded just in case.....
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 11:30   #39
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
I asked in the Volvo dealership in Southampton today about getting an upgrade to my software in order to be able to upgrade my maps to the latest via USB and they were hesitant to offer this as they said there is a chance that it will damage the ECU or something due to the amount of data they are upgrading and this is apparently an expensive thing to replace.

Has anybody had this before?

I'm keen to upgrade my maps so I have anewere version as there are a few new roads and changes in speed limits etc that i've found.
They are correct in a tiny number of cases . HOWEVER volvo take responsibility with this and have paid up in the past .. Ask them to get clarification from volvo . It's in one of their service bulletins.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 15:15   #40
apersson850
Premier Member

The software update to be able to download maps from the internet applies (for cars in this thread) to model years 2012-2014. Earlier don't have any hard drive to store the maps on (they run directly from the DVD) and later models had this ability from the beginning.

At Volvo's Swedish accessory site, they list the next map update for this system to come "2020, late". Not any more precise than that.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote