Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

End of Sensus Support

Views : 4107

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2019, 11:47   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilkers View Post
Selling a system with built in obsolescence is surely mis selling. This will be my first Volvo, and if true, it will not be a good start to my dealings with Volvo.
Every single vehicle manufacturer on this planet stops support at some time. I remember when I could no longer buy replacement parts for a Volkswagen Golf because they were no longer manufactured.

Software and maps is exactly the same. Do you expect map updates in 100 years? 50? 20? 10? 5? 2? 1? Your expectations change with time. No one expects map updates after 100 years. But they do after 1 year. So where is the limit? The limit sits between 1 and 100 years and is decided by the manufacturer.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 09:41   #12
apersson850
Premier Member

For the particular car models dealt with in this forum section, this information relates to the Sensus system installed in cars with model years 2012 and 2013. So they will be at least seven years old when the last update is released.

The Sensus navigation system installed in these models 2014-2016 will be supported a while longer. Nothing has been said about how long yet.

Finally, yes, the information is true. It's already listed on Volvo's own accessory web site, at least here in Sweden.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 09:47   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
For the particular car models dealt with in this forum section, this information relates to the Sensus system installed in cars with model years 2012 and 2013. So they will be at least seven years old when the last update is released.

The Sensus navigation system installed in these models 2014-2016 will be supported a while longer. Nothing has been said about how long yet.

Finally, yes, the information is true. It's already listed on Volvo's own accessory web site, at least here in Sweden.
But surely the 2012 and 2013 models can be upgraded with a simple software update to be able to use the USB free map upgrade which cars up to 2017 have ? I would not take too much notice of what volvo public web sites say :-)
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 16:54   #14
apersson850
Premier Member

You can take as little notice as you like.

But for the rest of us, yes, the 2012-2013 models can be upgraded to allow map updates via USB. That's the only way now, since no more DVDs are published.
But, the format of the maps for the 2012-2013 Sensus RTI is different from the format used for the 2014-2016 Sensus Navigation system. So the newer maps don't fit the older system.

As we have one 2012 and one 2016, I'm very familiar with updating the two different systems.

If you like, you can have a look at this web page. Although it's in Swedish, you can still dechiper the dates for the last two map updates, in a yellow box, being June 2018 and 2020, respectively.

Last edited by apersson850; Aug 28th, 2019 at 16:57.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 10:35   #15
apersson850
Premier Member

I can add that it's easy to see in your car which Sensus system you have, provided you have any navigation at all. If you do, you have a NAV button under the RADIO button.

If you have a blind button, or one labelled CAM, under the MY CAR button, then you have the Sensus RTI navigation system. That's the one where they plan to release the last map update in 2020.

If you have a globe symbol under the MY CAR button, then you have the newer Sensus navigation system, for which the last support date isn't published yet.
It's also possible that you don't have the full scale navigation system with this configuration. If so, you have the intermediate Internet maps solution, where maps are continuously downloaded from the internet, as you drive. Significantly less functionality, but no manual updates needed.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 11:46   #16
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
But surely the 2012 and 2013 models can be upgraded with a simple software update to be able to use the USB free map upgrade which cars up to 2017 have ? I would not take too much notice of what volvo public web sites say :-)
The upgrade to which you refer is to enable the system which was released with DVD map upgrading to be able to upgrade maps which could be downloaded from Volvo's website. Sadly it is the availability of these maps which is the issue. Many will have paid money to enable them to use downloaded maps in early Sensus systems and now find that these maps will no longer be available. I do not know if the maps used in later Sensus systems are applicable to the early system but I can only assume that they are not or Volvo wouldn't be announcing the withdrawal of support.

I wasn't looking for advice on how I should come to terms with the lack of support, that's a personal approach that may or may not resonate with others. I am merely saying that if the last non supported Sensus system was produced in 2013, I would have expected the standard 10 year spare part ruling to have kept the system going until 2023. If you never travel outside your town, outside your county or outside your country, you probably don't need an up to date mapping system. I'm not sure that being directed onto a non existent road in a strange location is exactly a safe occurrence and I don't need judgemental advice on having common sense. Can we stick to technical advice.

I just asked if anyone had any ideas on how Volvo owners due to suffer a withdrawal of support for their sat nav systems might find ways to keep their maps upgraded. If there is no way, so be it.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 17:42   #17
spyboy

Whist not strictly on topic, it would be a good thing if GPS systems were replaced with the 'what3words' system of location designation.
spyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spyboy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 10:50   #18
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I like that concept but w3w's locator map isn't very well designed. The GPS location for me shows 500 metres away and the poor definition of buildings makes it impossible to accurately judge a point manually. They will need to tidy up their act before anyone takes them seriously.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 14:58   #19
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

I already have a solution....... My phone sits perfectly within the dash on it's side. Google maps boom!! Used it extensively when driving abroad in France in the summer as it was quicker to use than having to go through the sensus options.

It won't be a disaster and certainly wont need a separate sat nav. Plus google maps displays your speed.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 21:14   #20
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Remember to preload the google map areas through which you will be travelling or you could end up downloading a lot of needless data at roaming costs.