Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo C30 accelerator pedal issues please help

Views : 2424

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2020, 19:02   #1
johnwiles90

Default Volvo C30 accelerator pedal issues please help

hi all i have a 2009 Volvo C30 R design 1.6d and when I start the car it idles at 1500rpm with a message on the dash saying reduced engine performance, When a fault code reader is plugged in it comes up with ECM-9530 Accelerator pedal sensor. when checking the Volvo fault code table on Vida the description is accelerator pedal sensor signal missing.
when i depress the pedal the revs will rise but slowly to begin with until turbo kicks in. I've tried clearing the code but everytime I start the car it just pops back up. is it the pedal that needs replacing or is it something else? please help as Im loosing my mind here
many thanks.
john
johnwiles90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 07:21   #2
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Hello John

It does look like your accelerator pedal is faulty. My question would be, are you sure on the error code?

We had something similar, I used a generic code reader which came up with pedal fault. When I got round to reading with Vida it came up with a different code for a throttle body fault - which is what it was.

I'm not saying it isn't the pedal, if you're happy that your code is correct then swap the pedal.

It may also be worth a quick look around the wiring from the pedal for any damage or loose connectors. I'm thinking particularly of the connectors on the bottom of the fuse/ECU unit in the passenger footwell which can get knocked and broken by peoples feet catching them.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 15:09   #3
johnwiles90

many thanks for the reply. ive just tried what you said and found you were correct. somebody had knocked the fuse box in the footwell and one of the plugs wasnt in properly. plugged it in properly and hey presto the fault has gone and the car is back to normal.
thanks for all your help its very much appreciated
john
johnwiles90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 09:16   #4
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Glad to hear you got this sorted and with an easy fix too.

If the plug moves again it could be that the catch is broken or damaged. I had one where this happened, driving along and the car would cut out but only when there was someone sat in the front passenger seat - that was the clue to the plug.

I found that there was just enough room to get a large-ish nylon cable tie (tie-wrap) around the plug and the socket that it fits into. So far, fingers crossed this is holding and the problem hasn't re-occurred.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote