Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 Engine Choice

Views : 1298

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 23:28   #1
confusedbuyer

Default V40 Engine Choice

Hi all,

Newbie here, and a confused one at that. Just about thought I'd made my mind up on a V40 D2 SE Lux (2nd hand) and got horror stories down the pub of DPF, DMF, injector and various other issues associated with the PSA/Ford 1.6 engine. Does anyone know whether this is likely to affect a Volvo D2? The car I had been looking at is 18months/2years old and I want to keep for another 4 years, really, doing up to 18k miles a year. I'll have a 16 mile commute each way per day, half and half city/motorway.

I had done all my sums against an Audi A3 1.2 TFSI, but its looking like I might have to reconsider? I'd looked at the V40 T3 but the purchase price is higher than the D2 which is the only instance of a car I've seen where the petrol is more expensive than the diesel and the REALMPG on HonestJohn suggests it'll be only 37mpg...

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer!
confusedbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 08:22   #2
tickedon
Master Member

You are right that the Ford/PSA 1.6 diesel does have a terrible reputation. The good news is, I haven't seen any horror stories for when it's used in a Volvo.

I did read elsewhere here that Volvo change some of the parts which avoids most of the issues, but whether that is true, I will need to leave for someone else more in the know.

My only suggestion would be to budget for the cost of a warranty through someone like warranty direct, which would give you peace of mind for your 3 years of ownership after the Volvo warranty expires.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 01:00   #3
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedbuyer View Post

I had done all my sums against an Audi A3 1.2 TFSI, but its looking like I might have to reconsider? I'd looked at the V40 T3 but the purchase price is higher than the D2 which is the only instance of a car I've seen where the petrol is more expensive than the diesel and the REALMPG on HonestJohn suggests it'll be only 37mpg...

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer!
Volvo do a T2 V40 petrol with 118/120 bhp, although that is only recently.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 13:31   #4
Mickybirt

Smile

I've a t3 petrol and on a run to Germany via holland and combined driving got 49 mpg on my runabouts to town etc the worst I've had is 43 mpg on and easy drive 55 mpg over 100miles .from holland to Germany on motorway at about 75mph I got about 50plus . The 150bhp motor is good with no problems ,I'm happy!
Mickybirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 18:26   #5
confusedbuyer

Hi,

Yes I've just discovered the T2 which seems like it could be perfectly reasonable! Glad to hear the T3 mpg is ok. Do these cars tend to retail for less than the diesel equivalents? I can't seem to find many, almost everything seems to be the D2. Is the T2 a Volvo-exclusive engine, as I can't seem to find any Ford with a turbo'd 1.6 with only 120bhp? Maybe I should wait 6 months or so until the fleets start disposing of 3 year old ones?
confusedbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 21:09   #6
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedbuyer View Post
Is the T2 a Volvo-exclusive engine, as I can't seem to find any Ford with a turbo'd 1.6 with only 120bhp?
Ford has a 1.6 in 120bhp (really 118) guise in the Fiesta. The Focus has had 115 and 125bhp versions of a turbo'd 1.6.

It's still a Ford/PSA lump, even if it's tuned slightly differently.