Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

im pretty sure ive been done

Views : 6090

Replies : 142

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2015, 19:24   #1
V40IRL

Default im pretty sure ive been done

Hey everyone i think im in a spot of bother, i bought a 02 turbo d v40 last tue. Its a smashing car to drive, first volvo, infact first diesel. Im a petrol head thru and thru but just fancied a real comfy bus thats econimcal anyway really dont know much about diesel engines bar the basics on how they work. So i went and looked at this motor and the guy said that the fins in the turbo went and he had to replace the turbo, well from what i can see it was the air in part that was replaced, again im not really sure but he said it was replaced and the intercooler was cleaned. Anyway did the kind of basic checks and she wasnt smokey, black or blue and she pulls like a train and doesnt stop engine wise she sounded tight and most of all no smoke. I saw oil all over the back of the block and he said thats from when the turbo went and he even gave me the mechanics number to ring, anyway i gave him the benifit of doubt and handed over money a day or two later after another viewing. also i should add that this guy was driving the volvo till his mechanic gave him a honda to drive while the v40 was in the shop, he loved the honda kept the honda bla bla bla but the volvo had no miles put up on it since the turbo was done. So i was driving it home and it was fine no smoke, drove it the next day kind of saw a bit of blue on start up which i thought ah grand. anyway theres a fair bit of blue smoke out of her after a while of driving and especially if i push her in fourth, small bit on tick over but other than that it comes and goes and is a lot or a small amount of blue smoke..... the engine still feels tight and go from third to second let it engine break and she slows down very quickly which makes me think compression is fine. i took the pipe that leads from the top of the intercooler into the inlet and i mean to say its destroyed in oil so im thinking its sucking it in from there, and i also think there is some fresh oil on the back of the block down to the sump and sub frame. its I really dont have a clue whats going on so any advice will go a really long way as im massivly out of pocket and dont know if i can afford to fix anything as major as what i think is wrong! Please Help thanks for reading

Last edited by V40IRL; Aug 14th, 2015 at 19:50.
V40IRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 19:43   #2
foeism

Hello and welcome.

I don't much if anything about diesel, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help out
foeism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 19:47   #3
V40IRL

Thanks foeism, i hope so becuase i have no idea where to go with this!!
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 20:07   #4
Dancake
Premier Member

Have you checked the lower intercooler pipe under the centre of the bumper to see if it's full of oil? If it is then there's the possibility that the new turbo is passing oil excessively. All turbos will pass some oil, but normally not enough to cause easily visible blue smoke from the exhaust.

It's also possible that the car is burning off the old oil from the previous turbo failure, and that the new turbo oil feed or return pipes haven't been fitted correctly causing an oil leak down the back of the block.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 20:15   #5
V40IRL

Ill have a look at the lower cooler pipe tomorrow and see! And what do you mean passing oil? Its very hard to see up the back of the block to see the oil pipes!
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 20:18   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

im pretty sure ive been done

If it hurts when you sit down you definitely have! However, you wont get done on here, just lots of friendly advice. Welcome to the forum.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 20:21   #7
V40IRL

hahaha yea it seems to be getting that way thanks itsv40
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 20:24   #8
Gaz Yorkshire

I don't know anything about diesels either, so can't offer you any advice, but as you've seen there's plenty of knowledgeable people here who'll point you in the right direction.
Welcome to the forum though!
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 20:34   #9
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

The diesels do leak an oily residue from where the plastic inlet bit (inlet shut off valve) bolts on to the inlet manifold and possibly the EGR.

You can get a new o ring for the plastic bit and metal crush gasket for the EGR.
The part numbers are on here somewhere including if you look very hard, the renault part numbers which are the same thing but about half the price of the volvo bit.

Its best to rule that out first. If its not been done it will be leaking.

Oil from elsewhere is another matter.

I noticed a bit of blue smoke from mine recently.

Maybe its time for new car? (what with the clutch being on its last legs too)
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 20:34   #10
Dancake
Premier Member

It is quite difficult to get a good look at the pipes, but you need to see if they have been installed correctly. Ring the mechanic that done the work and ask if the turbo return pipe was replaced along with the turbo. Reusing the old pipe is bad practice, as a build up of varnish in the pipe can restrict oil flow. This causes the oil to back up on itself, and it has nowhere to go but past the turbo seals. Refitting a turbo incorrectly can cause the symptoms you describe. The new turbo is probably fine, but the pipework needs checked.

Also have a look at your air filter. When was it last changed? A blocked or heavily restricted air filter can cause oil leaks at the turbo.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote