Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Blower fan motor doesn't work

Views : 1369

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2019, 23:52   #1
fishbone

Default Blower fan motor doesn't work

Hello everyone. Bought a car with blower fan problem, it doesn't work. All what I could do so far is just checking a fuse and if there is 12v when blower is switched on. That's allright.

Also tought to remove it and try to connect a motor straight to the battery to see if it's broken, and there is the main problem. I've seen how people replace that motor on EU cars, they just disassembly boot and remove the motor with fan. Not easy but possible. Tought to do the same and found out that it's impossible on UK cars because there is no acces to the motor from boot side. I could just see it little bit and that's it. Tried to remove some plastic and carpet on drivers side, there is no access at all. Do I have to remover all central and main dash to pull out that motor??

Thank you!
Volvo s40 2012 1.6 diesel
fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 10:23   #2
readview
Trader

Hi,
we've done a few of these and yes,they are a bad job,you have to get access from the passenger side,remove all the fixings for the fan then from the drivers side you turn the fan anti-clockwise slightly at which point it can be pulled out from the passenger side.Re-locating it can be a pain but you do need to make sure you get it located properly or you are starting it all from scratch again.Don't attempt to do the job in an evening if you have to use the car to go to work the following morning as the job will bring forth enough swearing on it's own without adding further pressure!
Good luck.
readview is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to readview For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2019, 20:55   #3
fishbone

Thank you for advice!
Before removing everything I'm going to order an used blower motor but I'm not sure about part number. Ebay sellers recomend me to see part number on my motor but I don't really want to remove dash twice, or remove and wait for delivery.
Anybody knows what part number is on S40 2012 1.6 D2?
Old May 9th, 2019, 21:23   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by readview View Post
Hi,
we've done a few of these and yes,they are a bad job,you have to get access from the passenger side,remove all the fixings for the fan then from the drivers side you turn the fan anti-clockwise slightly at which point it can be pulled out from the passenger side.Re-locating it can be a pain but you do need to make sure you get it located properly or you are starting it all from scratch again.Don't attempt to do the job in an evening if you have to use the car to go to work the following morning as the job will bring forth enough swearing on it's own without adding further pressure!
Good luck.
There is a Volvo special tool which helps greatly with the removal of the motor from the heater housing.
Old May 10th, 2019, 08:03   #5
fishbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There is a Volvo special tool which helps greatly with the removal of the motor from the heater housing.
So if I'll get that tool I don't need to take off whole dashboard??
Old May 10th, 2019, 09:15   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
So if I'll get that tool I don't need to take off whole dashboard??
No, the handle tool helps the twisting and withdrawal of the motor and more importantly the fitting of it properly , You don't need to get the dash out, i have "managed" by taking out the glovebox, CEM and struggling under the dash . you need to get the r/h side dismantled too to get the connector off and a locking screw for the motor housing . So nothing lost if you do get the dash out . , again there are tools for this a very long screw you fit to each side of the dash mounting holes which allows the dash to slide right back and stay in place whilst you take the motor out from the top .
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 16:25   #7
fishbone

Quote:
No, the handle tool helps the twisting and withdrawal of the motor and more importantly the fitting of it properly , You don't need to get the dash out, i have "managed" by taking out the glovebox, CEM and struggling under the dash . you need to get the r/h side dismantled too to get the connector off and a locking screw for the motor housing . So nothing lost if you do get the dash out . , again there are tools for this a very long screw you fit to each side of the dash mounting holes which allows the dash to slide right back and stay in place whilst you take the motor out from the top .
Completely forgot about this thread. While it was summer time didn't need it too much but now it takes time to unmist windscreen and I'm not happy to drive with open windows So I have to try replace again.

Long time ago I tried to do it. I removed top dash, central dash, waterfall, glove box and drivers side covers but couldn't get any acces to it. Now I think about to boy fan removing tool but not sure if it fits to S40 V50 C30 because is not it the suitable list. Can I use 6959 removing tool for S40??
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 20:24   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
Completely forgot about this thread. While it was summer time didn't need it too much but now it takes time to unmist windscreen and I'm not happy to drive with open windows So I have to try replace again.

Long time ago I tried to do it. I removed top dash, central dash, waterfall, glove box and drivers side covers but couldn't get any acces to it. Now I think about to boy fan removing tool but not sure if it fits to S40 V50 C30 because is not it the suitable list. Can I use 6959 removing tool for S40??
the tool for withdrawing the fan motor is 999 7115
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 00:06   #9
fishbone

Quote:
the tool for withdrawing the fan motor is 999 7115
Can't find it for sale. May be anyone could lend or sell it?
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 09:39   #10
pinballdave

I just did this job on my 2007 C70, and it took most of a three day weekend to complete it. I've read that if the car is an auto, then there should be just enough room to reach up and disconnect the connector and release the motor from under the dash. But mine is a manual and the clutch pedal gets in the way.

I ended up removing most of the underside of the dash, waterfall, centre console, glovebox, CEM, speedo/dials, steering column and sliding the dashboard back supported on M8x160mm bolts. Then there is enough room to reach through where the speedo was to disconnect the motor's connector and release/rotate it and withdraw it from the glovebox side.

There is probably an easier way, than all this, and I may have removed bits that weren't actually necessary, but however you do it don't expect to have it done in a day.

I didn't use any special tools, and going from my experience, if I had one it might have made about ten minutes of the job a lot easier, but if you have a helper to hold the motor from the glovebox side while you reach in to rotate it from the drivers side, it's really not needed. I managed to do it single handed, but it did take three attempts to get it in the correct position.

Also you may have to disconnect parts of the SRS/Airbag system, to get access to the blower motor. Don't be tempted to reconnect the battery to test the replacement motor before all the SRS system is reconnected, unless you have a VIDA/DICE to reset the fault code/warning light.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote