Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Partly happy after a self service... but!

Views : 455

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2019, 23:44   #1
moorgate

Default Partly happy after a self service... but!

checking back in after a bit of an absence: a mental travel season this spring kicked off in February with a blast down to Darmstadt, then a separate one to St Moritz... a bit of a busy start to the year for the V50. So I ordered up a service kit - and got called away AGAIN. Only this time, with some warmer weather - and all my troubles with kangaroo throttle response came back. Looks like the last autumn's fix of that was probably more temperature dependent than anything else. And when I say "came back" I mean "got worse super-fast". By the time I'd finished that trip, the car would find it hard to exceed 50 mph uphill in some circumstances.

So I ordered another fuel rail pressure transponder, and put it in while doing the oil change with my dipstick tube oil pump. Filters in, new oil in, spend an hour forgetting to put the fuel pump fuse back in the interior fuse panel... and the car starts up so sweetly, you'd think it was fresh from the showroom.

Next trip comes up too fast to think, so the trial drive is actually about 1,200 miles down to Switzerland again. Hey presto, no jerking or dead throttle spots any more! The car drives much more quietly, shifts a bit better... actually, it shifts a lot more often. In fact, it's up and down in the gears like billy-o. The "going to hurry up now" shift pattern it used to do has disappeared.

I guess the fuel rail sensor requires the transmission to discard all adaptations. Is there any way to do this without a full diagnostic rig? Torque shows transmission fault codes, and succeeds in clearing them, but offers almost no clear information on the accompanying errors. If I clear those codes with the engine running, it gives a little "blip" in the idle: the codes don't seem to come back for some considerable distance. Is there anywhere within reach of the City of London I could get a VIDA session with? I might be interested in a bit of a remap while doing it...
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 05:31   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorgate View Post
...so the trial drive is actually about 1,200 miles down to Switzerland again. ... Is there anywhere within reach of the City of London I could get a VIDA session with?
Or come and see me. I'm in Switzerland, Zürich area.
I have VIDA.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 01:20   #3
moorgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Or come and see me. I'm in Switzerland, Zürich area.
I have VIDA.
thanks, that's actually not such a silly idea (even though I hate going out via Schaffhausen...). I'm probably revisiting down there in mid-June, once one of those buggers actually reads his email!
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote