Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 loss of boost and intermittent white smoke

Views : 1829

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2011, 21:55   #1
Bchase

Default D5 loss of boost and intermittent white smoke

Hi,
This is a bit similar to definethelight's problems but as it doesn't look like he ever got to the bottom of his smoke I thought I'd try to get the discussion going again.

I have a 2007 Volvo 185bhp D5 V70 with 140k on the clock. I bought it (foolishly) cheapily knowing that it had an intermittent white smoke issue which I was told would require a new turbo. However along with good friends who run a local independent I've got a bit stuck. The symptoms are:

1. Random failure of the turbo to boost (most common at 2000rpm)
2. Engine once hot will sometimes puff out intermittent white smoke in huge quantities. This seems to occur almost always when the car is running at under 30mph, you coast/decelerate and then accelerate away again. At the point you put your foot down plumes of white smoke (the longer the coast/deceleration the greater the plume) come out the tailpipe and engulf the car behind!
3. Sometimes however the smoke will not appear at all. It never appears when the car is running at speed but the lack of turbo is consistent throughout the range.

So far the garage have changed the MAS and a few other sensors and also after a diagnostic session at our local Volvo dealership changed a split manifold inlet pipe. However all to no avail.

Volvo have suggested that the next step is to change the EGR valve at great expense.

Can anyone offer any advice/wisdom? I'm personally struggling to see how a faulty EGR valve could cause all these symptoms.

Much appreciated!

Last edited by Bchase; Jun 15th, 2011 at 21:57.
Bchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 01:40   #2
prionailurus
Dan

If the culprit is assumed to be the EGR valve, block it temporarily to test.
You will get an error message on your display, but, its an easy test to see if the smoke is being caused by it, leave the blocking plate in for a day or two, til you can confidently know that you would-have-had-smoke-by-now, then you know it is that. If the smoke is unchanged, its not the EGR system.

I can't offer a lot of wisdom but white smoke is normally burning water, there is a water pipe going to the front end of the EGR piping, but it doesn't flow water through where the air is, so what it does I don't know.

We don't use a bit of plastic where a bit of metal can go.
Everything I write on here is mere opinion unless stated otherwise, and I'm not ranting, honest
prionailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 23:04   #3
Biotoxic
Master Member

if you have smoke like in the second video, then it is your turbo, actually a broken turbo shaft http://volvoforums.org.uk/showpost.p...29&postcount=7

If you thinking about getting a new EGR valve, then try to clean your old one first
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote