Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 engine massive ol loss

Views : 1659

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2022, 09:51   #1
Milenko

Default D5 engine massive ol loss

Hi guys,
I am new here, my knowledge about diesel engines is not that bad but I don't have idea what is going on with mine.

Few months ago, my S60 D5 2006 start losing oil at first that was not that much but now it is crazy, 1l per 800 km. Engine run 440.000km, some will say that is much but as far as I know these engines are very durable and mine is very well maintained.

There is no smoke from exhaust pipe, no leek, only thing i have found few days ago is motor oil on end of exhaust, some people suggest that could be turbo charger. Is there anyone who have experience with this problem? I need car every day so I can't stop for longer time to investigate.

Is there anyone with experience who can pin point cause of oil loss so I can fix it fast enough, or at least to give me some advice for investigation that will not require open engine, thanks in advance on any suggestion.
Milenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 23:25   #2
5cilinder
Premier Member

Cant say for sure , but this points to the turbocharger which is leaking oil due to a bad seal, otherwise its nearly impossible to get pure oil out of the exhaust
Any other problem will result in blue smoke or oil at some other place it would leak.
And due to the oil in the dpf the pressure builds up and i wouldnt be surprised its regenerating like crazy

Last edited by 5cilinder; Sep 20th, 2022 at 23:30.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 14:41   #3
Milenko

Thanks man, I think that I will order new turbocharger, today I got "DPF maintenance necessary", so it will be new turbo and cleaning of DPF. I don't know how but my car don't have regeneration sequence of DPF for that I need to go to workshop and start it by OBD. For me was also very strange that there is no smoke coming from exhaust pipe and for sure if engine is burning oil in that amount it will be eco catastrophe behind me. Thanks one more time!
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 00:28   #4
5cilinder
Premier Member

You can get refurbished turbos, and i doubt you can clean the dpf with all that oil... but also dpfs can be bought refurbished and "cheap" dont forget to reset the dpf to new in vida
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 19:59   #5
Milenko

I had problems with DPF already, like 3 years ago, and at the time I was in Belgrade I went to one shop specialized for cleaning DPF, they take off DPF put it in some kind of liquid and ultrasonic machine it come out like brand new it was so shiny inside and out, no trace of any dirt.
I will try it again if it doesn't work I will by some refurbished.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 22:18   #6
Darthstinky

So I’m not very knowledgable on Volvos (yet!) probably best say that from the start! I’d be focusing on where the oil is going. If its not leaking then its either being burnt (likely) or evaporation (unlikely)

Couple of points to consider…

1. Given its a high miler, have you thought about increasing the oil viscosity?

I find that with high milers cars the original specification oil becomes a thin and coupled with age related wear, seals give a little more and your oil consumption can increase when cold .. slightly thicker oil can help reduce this.

2. Turbo
If it a leak on the inlet side of the turbo, you will find usually find deposits on the intake pipes and intake manifold. You cant miss a serious oil leak as it will be everywhere
If the oil leave is exhaust side, you typically see it as blue smoke under hard boost when the engine is up to temperature. You WONT see much liquid oil typically on a cold engine as it will get coated on the exhaust and cat…

3. Head gasket issue
Have you checked if you have oil in your coolant? This is typically done via chemical test…organic particulates in the coolant liquid. Amazon have kits for this…. Any mayonnaise like deposits on the oil filler or dipstick?

DS
Darthstinky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darthstinky For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 22:21   #7
Darthstinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthstinky View Post
So I’m not very knowledgable on Volvos (yet!) probably best say that from the start! I’d be focusing on where the oil is going. If its not leaking then its either being burnt (likely) or evaporation (unlikely)

I find that with high milers cars the original specification oil becomes a thin and coupled with age related wear, seals give a little more and your oil consumption can increase when cold .. slightly thicker oil can help reduce this.

2. Turbo
If it a leak on the inlet side of the turbo, you will find usually find deposits on the intake pipes and intake manifold. You cant miss a serious oil leak as it will be everywhere
If the oil leave is exhaust side, you typically see it as blue smoke under hard boost when the engine is up to temperature. You WONT see much liquid oil typically on a cold engine as it will get coated on the exhaust and cat…

3. Head gasket issue
Have you checked if you have oil in your coolant? This is typically done via chemical test…organic particulates in the coolant liquid. Amazon have kits for this…. Any mayonnaise like deposits on the oil filler or dipstick?

DS
And I’d be considering a compression test too…see if the block/cylinders are healthy…

DS
Darthstinky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darthstinky For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 10:06   #8
Milenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthstinky View Post

2. Turbo

3. Head gasket issue

DS
Well as I have said, in first post, No smoke no leek no oil in coolant either, I didn't mention that. All I have found is that there is oil on end of exhaust pipe and some of intercooler pipe are greasy.
As far as I know about diesel engines if amount of 1l of oil in 800km enter the combustion chamber I will have hell of smoke from my exhaust pipe, with that amount of smoke I will be haunt down by Greta Thunberg personally.
There is no smoke from exhaust.

I have remove PVC inlet pipe right at turbocharger and there is black residue and it is very greasy.

Volvo is strong like mule I have went this summer from Netherland to Greece and back, on the trip I have notice that there is some oil loss, it was in total like 1,5L for 4000km roughly, car was fully loaded all the time 4 and 5 grown persons. I didn't notice any difference in power now and 3 years ago when KM was way lower and at that time no consumption of oil at all. If I have lost compression I will loose power, right?

There is no any liquid in oil, that much I know, also there is no oil in coolant, if one liter of oil enter coolant I will notice it for sure without any special equipment.

Well anyway, new turbo is on the way I will change it and also I will change oil to 5-40 grade and then it stay only to see have I solve problem.
Thanks for all advice.
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 11:09   #9
Lancee
Premier Member

Please let us know the outcome of the turbo change ?
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 01:00   #10
5cilinder
Premier Member

Pvc and intercooler can have some oil condensation which is normal ....you always have oil vaporating in the crankcase and via the pvc condensating in the intercooler and pipes