Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nose Weight & towing capacity of V70 D5

Views : 2660

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2019, 14:18   #1
Lxmanager

Default Nose Weight & towing capacity of V70 D5

Hi all, I have just bought a 2009 (2007-2009) V70 2.4 D5 SE LUX Automatic and trying to find out the actual Nose weight, towing capacity and kerb weight.

Every google search and towing report I've read suggests a max towing weight of 1800kg, nose weight of 75kg and kerb weight of 1578kg.

The manual I have with the car states 2000Kg max towing weight and nose weight of 90Kg.

The vin plate has two figures on it - 2310Kg and 4310Kg which I believe is the max car weight and max train weight which when worked out gives towing weight of 2000Kg, still not sure of nose weight.

The suggested nose weight for my Elddis Crusader Aurora is 85Kg so I want to be sure I am not putting too much force on the car.

Can anyone advise on this.

Thanks, Andy
Lxmanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 14:44   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

You are correct on the figures giving a towing limit of 2000kg so your Aurora should be a OKish match for your V70. The only real way to find out the kerb weight is to put it on a weigh bridge. Every time an extra is added to the car spec it increases the kerbweight. Base figures on the internet are often for manuals and as yours is an auto it will weight more. Even things such as the Tempra spare wheel will increase the kerbweight.

As you have said the nose weight of the caravan is 85kg and there should be a similar figure quoted on a plate on the towing bracket, mine on my XC60 is 90kg and the lowest of the two is the one to use. If there is not a plate on the towbar then you need to go back to the towbar manufacturer.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 13:22   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Not sure why but in the UK the nose weight of some Volvo models is quoted as less than in other markets but for the same car and towbar....

For example the Mk 1 XC90 is rated in the UK as 90Kg but in Australia it is 180Kg. The only difference is that in some states of Australia the nose weigh must be a minimum of 7% of the trailer weight....

Hence I would personally not worry about exceeding the nose weight by a small amount (and have done on a number of occasions).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 13:26   #4
ShaunHicks

After talking to local Volvo mechanics I've come to same conclusion - only manual can be trusted in towing. That's funny since auto is usually more forgiving in towing! Volvo had many auto tranny failures pre 2003, even during warranty, I was told.
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 19:03   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I don't think you've been given good advice unless they've been talking about T6 XC90's...

All the autos are fine for towing (if maintained correctly like any other part) and on some models the maximum towing capacity is higher on Auto models than manual (e.g. late model XC70 D5) - this is down to better capability to set off from rest on steep gradients - auto's can deal with higher gradients where manuals would fry the clutch.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 19:04   #6
Peter86
Pete

My 2011 V70 D5 manual only tows 1800kg, yours being heavier as a auto will weigh more hence the 2000kg limit. As for the towball weight there is slight variations between manufacturers. Mine is a PCT (on the car when I got it) but have the volvo electrics luckily and the towball limit says on the instructions upto the max recommended manufacturer towing and nose weights. There are some that are slightly lower of about 5kg.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 01:40   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter86 View Post
My 2011 V70 D5 manual only tows 1800kg, yours being heavier as a auto will weigh more hence the 2000kg limit. As for the towball weight there is slight variations between manufacturers. Mine is a PCT (on the car when I got it) but have the volvo electrics luckily and the towball limit says on the instructions upto the max recommended manufacturer towing and nose weights. There are some that are slightly lower of about 5kg.
The 1800/2000 kg weight limit is not related to the kerb weight of the car - it is the maximum weight that the manufacturer specifies the car to be able to set off from rest when fully loaded on a 10% gradient.

The downside on high torque highly turbocharged inline cylinder engines is a relatively small space for a clutch to deal with huge mounts of torque... no such problems on autos with fluid couplings.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135