Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Abs/anti-skid service

Views : 1082

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2019, 23:30   #1
doolie

Default Abs/anti-skid service

Hi had the abs ring replaced today after the abs/anti-skid message was on. Driving home from garage and warning light reappeared and abs light flashing with abs activating constantly. I'm wondering did they damage the sensor or incorrectly fit the new ring.
doolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 08:04   #2
Dastardly Diesel

...or did they misdiagnose the fault, or was there actually more than one fault in the first place?

Until its properly examined we can only speculate.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 12:13   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

You need to get the codes read with a Volvo compatible reader (preferably VIDA) with ABS it usually tells you exactly what the problem is.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 14:24   #4
mike19691969

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolie View Post
Hi had the abs ring replaced today after the abs/anti-skid message was on. Driving home from garage and warning light reappeared and abs light flashing with abs activating constantly. I'm wondering did they damage the sensor or incorrectly fit the new ring.
Check the ring that was changed, make sure it is in line with the sensor i.e. has not been tapped on too far.
If the sensor was removed, remove it again and clean the mounting surface with a wire brush/Dremel, then refit. With the sensor removed you can look down through the hole and see if the ring is running true as you rotate the hub.

If you have VIDA, read codes then clear codes and go for a drive with VIDA reading the live data for all 4 abs sensors. you will probably find that one sensor is giving a false or sporadic reading making the module think that that wheel is going slower/locking when it isn't.

I had a very similar issue with my V70 T5, solved by cleaning the mating surface for sensor, but not after trying a bunch of other stuff first and baffling then beating an indy. As the system is basically the same principle this would be worth checking.

Word of warning if you are attempting to remove sensors yourself. GO EASY ON THE BOLT AS IT IS EASY TO SHEAR IF IT HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED RECENTLY. Unfortunately I speak from experience.
mike19691969 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike19691969 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 19:24   #5
doolie

Thanks for the advice. The ring has been replaced checked myself this morning. Left it back up this morning and indie found nothing. Finish nights tomorrow so will scan will Vida and update with info.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 18:16   #6
Premier Member

It’s not the other ring?
I replaced one of mine after getting the message, and changed the crusty, rough looking ring only to find it was the decent looking ring on the other side that was cracked!
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 19:53   #7
doolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60041 View Post
It’s not the other ring?
I replaced one of mine after getting the message, and changed the crusty, rough looking ring only to find it was the decent looking ring on the other side that was cracked!
I had the drivers side replaced about 8 months ago. I bought a pair of rings and had hoped they'd change both at the same time but only replaced one. Then same symptoms appeared again so I assumed it was the other side gone so that was replaced.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 20:19   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Unfortunately this highlights the dangers of making assumptions.

Instead of assuming, one should use diagnostic equipment and be certain where the problem lies, before picking up the first screwdriver.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 21:16   #9
laundryman
The Engineer

WOW Swiss. thats VERY Zen!!
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 21:23   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
thats VERY Zen!!
OP has the car in front of him and Vida yet hasn't read codes, instead asking us for guesses.

It's not zen like to read codes before guessing, just common sense.