Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Serived Required (continued nightmare)

Views : 692

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2019, 16:12   #1
mprcomp

Default Engine Serived Required (continued nightmare)

We had the car serviced in May and not long after we go Engine Service Required. Ask the guy about oil but said didn't put too much in. Went back and he reset codes. A few days later back. Eventually, when he pulled codes it said DPF issues and DPF temp sensor. He took the oil out that was raising that issue. For some reason DPF temp sensor still not replaced.

So thought it was fixed. Drove with a caravan on the back back. Had leaking Fuel Filter. So got that changed and that part has been fine since then.

On the way back with van car starting struggling at one point-max could go was 40 with the caravan on the back.

When got back went straight back to garage. For some reason, they replaced the DPF pressure sensor. A week of car free driving.

Today picked up caravan and engine service required came back up again. We are due to drive 625 miles with a caravan(one way) next Friday and tearing hair out.

There is a local independent place that has VIDAS system but won't be able to get in till next Wednesday. If they find anything not sure will have time to fix them before next Friday.

Thing is will the car even in it's current condition still allow me to drive it? It doesn't seem to have any issues when driving. Straight after I got home when car was only got 40 took it for spin and was performing fine again.

Today bought a Streetwize ODB reader but that doesnt' work with car so will have to take that back. Was hoping would give me readings and the possibility of clearing codes.

What would people do next?
mprcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 16:17   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

You can only get advice when you know what is wrong

Currently, a warning that something is wrong with the engine is all you know
It could be completely trivial, or it could be totally serious

You only know when you read the codes, and then apply sound logic and experience to what you read.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 18:04   #3
mprcomp

True. What we know is it was saying the DPF temp sensor needed replacing. After cleared that hasn't came back up again. DPF pressure sensor has been replaced.

If get any more info will post tomorrow. He is going to check codes and soot reading on DPF to make sure it's cleaning itself. Might be shorter journeys during holidays have meant its clogged.

I am a teacher so during normal days it gets a 20 mile run each way.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 18:05   #4
mprcomp

Out of interest is there a reasonable priced reader out there that does Volvo?

Had streetwise one and they apparently don't' work on Vovlo's.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 18:34   #5
john langrick
Master Member

Hi I am sure Vida is best, but I have autel unit purchased a few years ago. It can read and erase engine, transmisdion, SRS, AWD, break system, beyond that i leave it to my local indie.

I understand you can now get the same system that interface via Bluetooth to your mobile.

I plan to purchase one shortly, but look at others experience on this forum.

Check out eBay under Volvo diagnostics.

Hope this helps
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 19:54   #6
green van man
Premier Member

Or speak to Simon, cheshird5 on here. I baught my vida dice system from him and it's garenteed working which many of the eBay units are not. At the time I paid about £90 including the postage.
Because of my lack of computing skills I baught a second hand netbook running Windows 7 pro off e bay and never connect it to the internet. Had an it literate mate set it up and away we went.

Appreciate time may be against you so personally would buy good breakdown cover, with a caravan I have RAC cover from the Caravan and Camping club for £160.
It's surprising what their diognostics can find in the event of a breakdown.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 21:20   #7
paddy74

The only thing, that is nearly 100% working on Volvos is VIDA in combination with a DICE. All other readers are not that good.

If I where in this situation, I would buy a DICE (as said cheshired5 is the user here on this forum), if necessary as a whole package (Laptop and DICE). If you buy them here, you can be sure, all is working!

I'd have loved to have these possibilities a few years ago with my first XC90! Right now, with my new-to-me XC90 I ordered a DICE and used an old Laptop, that I had laying around. All is stored in the car most of the time, but definitly when I'm on a longer tour or on vacation.

That way I can always check my car, and know what's going on. Nearly every mechanic can repair a Volvo, but only, if they have all the needed information. With my setup, I can read and explain the error codes, I can even print out the original Volvo repair instructions. Part numbers are also important, when you are away from home.

I had this a few years ago in Italy. I needed a part, and the local dealer (around 70miles away from our hotel) said, it would take him four days, to get the part. I ordered the part via overnight from my parts dealer (Skandix), and all was done, before the part would have even been arrived with the local dealer...

I know, I know, that IS kind of nerdy. But it's the best way for me, to stay up to date with my car.
The Following User Says Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 13:07   #8
mprcomp

Default Update

The soot in the DPF is fine when did reading with his kit. When he is plugging in it's just staying DPF temp sensor but knows there is two.

Is it just worth replacing both of them? He said when he looked last time could only see one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and where is best to get them from?
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 14:40   #9
paddy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprcomp View Post
The soot in the DPF is fine when did reading with his kit. When he is plugging in it's just staying DPF temp sensor but knows there is two.

[...]
And that is exactly, why you need VIDA and a DICE (yours or one from the shop).

How do you want to trust a reader, that knowingly gives the wrong number of sensors, in reading your DPF? Is it really ok, or does the reader show a wrong value?

If you don't want to "throw" parts at your car, with every changed part hoping all is well again, than get it read with the Volvo system = VIDA. It doesn't matter, if you buy one yourself, or if you go to a shop, that is equipped with one, but without VIDA my guess is, the repair will be getting more expensive...
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 16:40   #10
mprcomp

Possibly. Issue is can't get to a VIDA garage till Wednesday and if they say X needs fixing struggling for getting it replaced by Friday when driving 1.2K with car. So hopefully this fixes it if not will have to go to VIDA. Have messaged guy on here about VIDA system but not going to come before Friday.
The Following User Says Thank You to mprcomp For This Useful Post: