Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radio Woes

Views : 882

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2019, 20:36   #1
lnparry

Default Radio Woes

Hi all,

Have had my first failure in 6 year's motoring in the 945 but thankfully just the radio so all is forgiven.

Radio is the original unit (Volvo CR 906). Working absolutely fine when I parked this morning. This evening....nothing, including the tape deck. The small LED display panel under the tape deck illuminates when you turn on and if you look closely you can just see all of the radio channels displayed as you select them but incredibly faintly. Almost seems like there is only a few volts getting through to the radio.

Anyone had this before? I know i could rip it out and fit a modern unit but I like originality and what else would I play my cassettes on?!

Thanks for reading,
Cheers,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 20:10   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Check your fuses in the fusebox, there should be at least 2, one for the memory (which usually seves the clock as well) and one for the main radio power - sometimes esrves other things like the cig lighter too.

Does the aerial still go up and down when you switch it on or is yours the one with the aerial built into the windows?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 11:04   #3
lnparry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Check your fuses in the fusebox, there should be at least 2, one for the memory (which usually seves the clock as well) and one for the main radio power - sometimes esrves other things like the cig lighter too.

Does the aerial still go up and down when you switch it on or is yours the one with the aerial built into the windows?
Thanks Dave.

Mine has the aerial built into the rear window. Checked all the fuses and all ok so will have to dig deeper. Any idea how much of a job to take the radio out?

Cheers,
LeeP
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 11:24   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Try renewing the fuses, sometimes they can develop a hairline crack that just isn't visible, if that doesn't work, do an image search for "Volvo CR906" and it should show you how to remove it. There's a 5A fuse in the back of it, good chance that has popped so renew that and try it before condemning the radio.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 12:50   #5
Forrest
VOC Member

The CR-905 radio in my oldest 940 failed in a similar manner about ten years ago. In those days replacements were readily available on eBay as the cars were at that age where people acquiring them were looking to “upgrade” rather than retain the authentic stock appearance. I paid 99p for a working head unit as I recall.

It’s quite easy to swap the radio over but you will need to use special tools or two suitable sized flat blade screwdrivers to release the spring clips through the small slots on either side. If it’s original fitment there is probably also a spring clip stuck to the top of the radio. It will pull out against that one but will come out much easier if you slide a flat dinner knife in to release it. I can probably find a photo of the clips to help if you’re struggling to extract yours.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 13:10   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

There's a few on fleabay at the moment, a £20 start price CR905 :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-RAD...E/193032548606

A £99.95 Cr906 :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...1/401824598045

Alternatively, an aftermarket head unit, harness adaptor, facia plate etc sold as a kit to make the conversion plug'n'play and almost factory-looking :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...r/162552452884

If you check out the sellers other items and put "Volvo 940" in the search box, it should come up with all the various options they offer, some are new, some are refurbished, all come with the facia plate, harness/wiring adaptors and so on. Check the year of the kit (90-96 and 96 on) as it seems they changed the wiring or something.

If none of those options appeal, maybe someone on here has one for sale if you really want to keep it original. However if it's only the tape deck you need in terms of your music tastes, you can buy converters that look rather like a Sony Walkman (remember them? ) that will convert your cassettes music into audio files on your computer which you can then download to a USB stick in MP3 format and play that through the last option i linked to.

It might still be the fuse in the back of the unit, renew that (don't bother checking it as per my comments above about hairline cracks and there are other things that can cause fuse failure despite appearing intact) and see what happens.

Old Aug 12th, 2019, 13:24   #7
lnparry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
There's a few on fleabay at the moment, a £20 start price CR905 :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-RAD...E/193032548606

A £99.95 Cr906 :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...1/401824598045

Alternatively, an aftermarket head unit, harness adaptor, facia plate etc sold as a kit to make the conversion plug'n'play and almost factory-looking :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...r/162552452884

If you check out the sellers other items and put "Volvo 940" in the search box, it should come up with all the various options they offer, some are new, some are refurbished, all come with the facia plate, harness/wiring adaptors and so on. Check the year of the kit (90-96 and 96 on) as it seems they changed the wiring or something.

If none of those options appeal, maybe someone on here has one for sale if you really want to keep it original. However if it's only the tape deck you need in terms of your music tastes, you can buy converters that look rather like a Sony Walkman (remember them? ) that will convert your cassettes music into audio files on your computer which you can then download to a USB stick in MP3 format and play that through the last option i linked to.

It might still be the fuse in the back of the unit, renew that (don't bother checking it as per my comments above about hairline cracks and there are other things that can cause fuse failure despite appearing intact) and see what happens.

Thanks Dave - never realised that there were so many options!
Cheers,
LeeP
The Following User Says Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 13:52   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I discovered all of this when i got my last 740GLE Lee, about 7 years back. Can't remember if the original stereo was missing or FUBAR but i had to replace it and when i searched for "740 radio" all of the options came up. Seems the firm that do the kits do them for most Volvo models plus many other cars that have bespoke radios to help reduce theft.

As the stereo in my current 760GLE was one of those Maplin-special "Sendai CD-789" radio/CD things that had to go. From my other automotive exploits, i just happened to have a Rover 800 CD-controller/radio-cassette head unit and 6 disc changer with leads which just happened to find its way into the 760 - seemed fair to me, i have a Volvo expansion tank and alloys on my 827 so fair exchange is no robbery!

Old Aug 12th, 2019, 18:51   #9
ericbeaumont
ericbeaumont

If all else fails and the unit is in need of repair, ring Steve on 020 8985 2255 at Sentinel Volvo in Tottenham, North London. He was the Braydon Parts Dept and will have the details of the Norwich car radio repair firm that deals specifically with Volvo radios. French name, I recall.
ericbeaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericbeaumont For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 20:48   #10
lnparry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
The CR-905 radio in my oldest 940 failed in a similar manner about ten years ago. In those days replacements were readily available on eBay as the cars were at that age where people acquiring them were looking to “upgrade” rather than retain the authentic stock appearance. I paid 99p for a working head unit as I recall.

It’s quite easy to swap the radio over but you will need to use special tools or two suitable sized flat blade screwdrivers to release the spring clips through the small slots on either side. If it’s original fitment there is probably also a spring clip stuck to the top of the radio. It will pull out against that one but will come out much easier if you slide a flat dinner knife in to release it. I can probably find a photo of the clips to help if you’re struggling to extract yours.
Thanks Forrest that is a very kind offer and much appreciated.

I remembered last night that just after I bough the car I thought I might want a CD player so bought one of those CD stackers that sits in the boot. Thing was I had to buy the whole kit from a scrap 940 which included the CD stacker, cabling and radio.

Searching through the parts boxes in the garage tonight I found the radio which is exactly the same as mine (CR 906). For some reason I thought the CD ones were different. May have a straight swap.

So, I am able to see what the clips look like and hopefully can work out how to spring them loose. However, I am puzzled about the plastic surround to the radio though. Do you have to remove that before trying to remove the radio?

As ever, thanks to everyone for helpful comments.

Cheers,
LeeP
The Following User Says Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post: