Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Longshot question - in-car entertainment

Views : 2363

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 14:26   #1
pgainham

Default Longshot question - in-car entertainment

I will be picking up my XC90 D5SE on Friday, fitted with the in-car video screens in the front passenger headrests.

Curious if anyone has had this system fitted already and whether you have done anything about fiting a games console (specifically a PS2) in the car as well ?

Curious about who fitted it, where you located the unit, do you use PS2 wireless controllers with it ?

Question, questions......

Paul
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 14:50   #2
elmec

Default RE: Longshot question - in-car entertainment

Hi

I also have the same rear seat entertainment fitted, and will be fitting a ps2 just not got round to it yet, i think it will plug into the auxilary sockets between the rear seats, not sure where to site it yet, it will have to use a power invertor as i am unaware of a 12 volt supply lead

let me know if you have got any further with yours

Many thanks

Jason
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:43   #3
pgainham

Hi Jason, I am still mulling this one over. Agreed, I cant see a 12v supply option for the PS2 anywhere but I dont like the idea of having mains level power in the car.

I have been looking at the following site - they do DC powered PS2's meant for in-car set-up's. Now I have not used these folks nor do I recommend them but this may be an option if the PS2 is to be permanently mounted somewhere in the car.

http://www.bigcattech.co.uk/

Only places I can think to mount (without actually looking in-depth yet) are:-

1. Under front passenger seat
2. Alongside the DVD player at the rear of the car (space issue ?)
3. In one of the 2 side compartents next to the 3rd row of seats (again a space issue ?)

Whichever works, using wireless controllers could make for a neat pretty invisible installation.

Paul
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 11:56   #4
elmec

Paul,

Yes i have looked into the wirless controlers and i thik this would work well, still havent had chance to see where ps2 will fit, but will let you when i get chance to have a look

keep in touch

cheers

jason
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 12:02   #5
elmec

Sorry

forgot to mention what a good site that was regarding the power and the remote on switch
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:55   #6
dingleyplace

i have the PS2 fitted. It is located in the rear side storage box by the 3rd row of seats. As the PS is longet than the box the fitters have cleaverly added an extra section and then replaced the lid on top. All uses wireless and is very tidy.

This is better than the DVD player which is fitted by the spare tyre in the back and so is very difficult to change DVD's. Must get this moved to under seats.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 18:01   #7
monkeyman

Hi
My xc90 has the same in car entertainment and the kids and i love it (keeps them quiet). i have just got the power lead for PS2 from Amazon at a good price, have not tested it yet but will do soon.

Steve.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 15:08   #8
bennetj

I also have an XC90 with the 2 rear screens and am looking at adding a PS2. I have ordered the 12v adaptor and wireless handsets from Amazon and also have bought the PS2, so already have a bit of commitment to the idea ! My dilemma is where to fit the PS2 in the car, I am not that keen on if being stuffed under the seat and getting trodden on and generally ill-treated.

I looked at the site recommended in one of the earlier posts which has a under seat mounting bracket. This looks quite a good option and as this post was a few months ago I wondered if either of you had now fitted yours PS2's and if so would mind giving us an update on how you did it.

thanks
bennetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 16:54   #9
bennetj

I have now used my PS2 in the car though have not yet 'fitted' it properly.

I can say that it does work really well. I have a slimline PS2, a 12v car adaptor (from Amazon) and wireless controllers. What really impresses my children is that one of them can watch a DVD while the other plays a play station game - how good is that ?

I would still welcome feedback from anyone else who has properly fitted their PS2 into their car on how they have managed it. At the moment the PS2 is just sitting on the ridge in front of the middle seat, fits there quite nicely but not a secure long term solution. The web site referenced in an earlier post on this (big cat technologies) has a telescopic mounting kit for underseat installs though at £65 it seems quite an expensive option.
bennetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:59   #10
Sneaky

Just joined up on this board.
Was reading oftenly on the XC90 forum and learned alot.
I'm getting my brand new XC90 2.5T later this week.
I traded in my S60T5 (fully loaded) for a XC90 (also fully loaded) cuz I needed more space for the kids etc.

I never liked the RTI navi and went for a VDO Dayton system.
The factory duall screens I skipped also and bought a aftermarket set with 2 cordless headsets.
I'm always in a hurry so they are building in a laserjammer and radardetector and next week I'm getting the RICA chip. Gotta be carefull though cuz in my country you can go to jail for speeding..
The aftermarket Bluetooth they buid in works great and uses the Volvo soend system for calls.

I got the premium sound with subwoofer.

Ok, back on topic..

So I thought it would be nice to have the PS2 (with wireless controllers) build in also.
Shouldnt be a problem I thought cuz its a big car with a lot of space to build in aftermarket stuff.

How wrong could I be, hehehehe..

It gave me lotsa headaches to give all the stuff good places.
I didnt want to gave up the little storage compartments on the sides in the back.

This is what I did :

12/220v adaptor in battery compartment.
10 DVD player under right front seat.
Navigation system under left front seat.

Now where do I put that @#$%#$@ PS2 system???? LOL
I don't want to stop the car each time the kiddo's want another game in the PS2.
Well, the best place I could think of was to place the PS2 to the panel that is between the front and rear door (right side car) and then as low as possible. Now the kids can reach it nicely and its also out of sight.

Only thing thats needed to get another CD in the PS2 now is to move the right passenger seat to the front shortly. Well...., I can live with that!

Only thing thats on backorder now is the FM transmitter to get the DVD sound into the Volvo system.
I hope that will work out also this week.

I hope I can help someone out with with things I already have done.

If you want some pictures just ask, I can get them up next week if you want.

Only thing to still work out are some nive 20 inch wheels but I will open a new topic for that issue.

Greetz,

Sneak