Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Upgrade from V70 to XC90

Views : 1356

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 14:46   #1
Hornet

I am a very happy V70 driver, however in the next few months I need to make a decision about a new car. I love the look of the XC90 but am wondering if it is the car for me?

At the moment I do about 30k a year, but this is going to do down to less than 20k miles per annum soon. I should point out I don't NEED a 4x4, just fancy the idea of one. I shall also be doing a lot of town driving too, as well as motorways.

Has anyone gone up from a V70 to the 90 and if so may I have the benefit of your wisdom and experience!

Thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 09:16   #2
After_Shock

The XC90 technically isnt really a 4x4 as such, yes it can do it but isnt really designed for it.

I would dare say that the XC90 is more comfortable than the V70 and if get one make sure you get one with the speed sensitive steering for the town drivng bit.

We have had alot of customers go from V70's to XC90's and all seem more than happy with their choices. If you are getting a used one avoid the 2003 models though.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 16:24   #3
perussell

I went from a previous model V70 to an XC90 (via a BMW 5 Series!!! - great to drive but totally impractical and serviced by dealers who think the world owes them a living!)
I consider the XC90 as a jacked up estate with an extra degree of safety rather than an off-roader. It is also way more practical than either of my 2 previous cars and has a much bigger boot - it may seem shallow but the actual floor space is massive (with the back2 seats down) - the biggest problem is when the lower tailgate is down you cannot reach the front of the load space without climbing into the vehicle! (and I'm 6 foot tall)
It's obviously not as fast and doesn't handle as well as the V70 but it's the ultimate M-way cruiser and is incredibly comfortable.
I find the normal steering light enough for all purposes but the large turning circle can make it difficult to manoeuvre in car parks, it's also quite difficult to park kerb side on the road between other cars because of poor over the shoulder visibility. In car parks however one sometimes finds oneself struggling to get into the car because of it's width (and the thickness of the doors) and due the proximity of cars parked alongside so you really need to think about where you park the car a little more than you might otherwise.
We have 20 + XC90s where I work (no, I don't work for Volvo) and apart from the very early vehicles they have all been quite reliable.
Go for it - you will never look back.
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 17:35   #4
DCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet
I am a very happy V70 driver, however in the next few months I need to make a decision about a new car. I love the look of the XC90 but am wondering if it is the car for me?

At the moment I do about 30k a year, but this is going to do down to less than 20k miles per annum soon. I should point out I don't NEED a 4x4, just fancy the idea of one. I shall also be doing a lot of town driving too, as well as motorways.

Obviously only you can decide if spending the extra money on vehicle that has more features than you require is the right thing to do. The XC90 will burn a lot more fuel than your V70, especially when in town and particularly in a hilly town! Although with my XC90SE D5 Geartronic I normally achieve about 33mpg on a motorway run, I only expect about 20mpg around town and at times this falls to 17. I could easily get this even lower with a heavy right foot. My sister runs an XC70 and she does a fair amount of motorway miles and her average consumption is around 39-40 mpg with the same engine. The reason for the difference is that her XC70 is almost 1/2 ton lighter and has less frontal area.

Parking is not a problem as long as there is plenty of space! The XC90 is a fair sized vehicle, so you need fair sized parking spaces! As far as possible, I always try to avoid parking right next to other cars in multistorey car parks or when in supermarkets. This is mainly to reduce the chances of receiving typical careless car door damage. When parking on the street, you will need to use your mirrors due to the blind spots, but with them and the reversing sensor, it does not take long to get the hang of it.

At all times you will find the extra height gives you great benefits with respect to vision. I have long been a fan of taller vehicles, and find them much more relaxing to drive. As mentioned by Perussell, the boot is very deep, and yes at 6' you still need to get in to reach the far end! The extra height of the boot and tailgate means almost no danger of banging your head on the tailgate! Noise levels are low, although if you have sensitive hearing, you will notice a very high pitched whistle from the drivers door mirror. This occurs (for my hearing!) between about 38mph to 53mph. Outside these speeds, the whistle is either to quiet to hear, or above the frequency I can hear! When I asked the dealer about this at the free 'Safety check' shortly after purchse, they tested it and said all XC90s do it. Sure enough, I have driven a coulpe of others since, and they do. I am being very picky, so don't let this worry you as you may not be able to hear it anyway!

Yes the XC90 is strong and yes it is very safe. Yes it tows trailers etc well, and yes it does everything I have asked of it to date. No it is not quick (in diesel format, mine is 163hp not the new 185hp), but I did not expect it to be. Of course, the V70 is much lighter and thus quicker, so do not by the XC90 if you want high performance. Xenon headlights are great, albeit a bit short on range (I had the dealer adjust mine up to the upper limit) and for me, well worth the extra money.

We love our XC90, but this is because for us it fits our requirements for a spacious, practical, comfortable vehicle, that can cope with slippery surfaces (wet grass with a large trailer and slipways), is safe and has relatively low depreciation.

I hope you managed to get to the end of this monologue and that it is of some help!
DCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 14:04   #5
Chris_B

I recently replaced my wife's 850 estate with a 2004 XC90 D5SE Geartronic and I would agree with the comments made in the earlier posts. We particularly needed the extra seats having 3 kids, doing school runs, and so on, and the alternative (which neither of us fancied) was a large people carrier such as an Espace or a Voyager. I am sooooo pleased to have gone with the Volvo! It was not particularly due to a sense of brand loyalty, but because the alternative 4x4's with extra seats were rejected in favour of the Volvo as nothing else seemed to provide such a good all-round package.

The negatives I would say are the higher running costs and I am not entirely convinced by the reliability. I think though that the XC90 is going to face greater competition in future with the likes of the Audi Q7 and Saab 9-7 (if it comes to the UK).

Overall, I find the XC90 a great car to own and there can be few other cars that give you such a sense of security combined with a wide spread of abilities. I do not think that you will be disappointed.
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote