Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC and R-design just expensive bodykits?

Views : 5392

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 17:03   #11
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post

Most likely that the Focus will depreciate less than the Volvo and be cheaper to run.
Regards, Don.
I would say that the exact opposite, in so far as the Ford will be worth much less than the Volvo in the years ahead. Look at the prices of 2 year old Fords and also 2 year old Vauxhalls such as the Insignia. Well under 10k whereas the cheapest Volvo V40 is around the 15k mark at age 2.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 00:47   #12
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
These current small Volvos are pretty much identical to the current Focus being based on the very same current extended Focus platform.

So with the Volvos you are just paying for some added, some might say vulgar styling options over the Focus. Most likely that the Focus will depreciate less than the Volvo and be cheaper to run. The Focus is also surprisingly not a particularly cheap proposition but Ford are moving their products up in terms of quality and into the 'premium' spots without the vacuous aspirations of current Volvo product planners.

Regards, Don.
The current Focus interior and dash is awful. The facelifted Focus they are bringing out later this year will be a big improvement. But until then, awful.

WhatCar's 3 year cost for the V40 and Focus varies dependent on the specification, but they are in the same ballpark.

I used to drive a Ford Focus. It was a great car, I got it at a great price. The V40 is a great car, but, I do think it's overpriced. It was much cheaper to buy my S60 than an equivalent V40.

I think the people looking at a Focus would not be comparing with a V40, or vice-versa.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 10:05   #13
MJW75

Its a matter of opinion. If there wasn't an R-Design version, I wouldn't have even bought a V40 in the first place. Some people like sporty looks, if you don't then don't buy the R-Design. Saying that, the seats and interior is much nicer than the SE in my opinion. Also - re. the comment above, the R-Design has the same suspension as the standard cars, but the sport suspension is an option, so you can still have comfort with the R-Design. Also re. another comment above, the dark interior makes it feel my cosy (again, in my opinion), which I prefer to the lighter interior of the SE (the headlining in the R-Design is black, which adds to this).
MJW75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 11:40   #14
lancslad1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW75 View Post
Its a matter of opinion. If there wasn't an R-Design version, I wouldn't have even bought a V40 in the first place. Some people like sporty looks, if you don't then don't buy the R-Design. Saying that, the seats and interior is much nicer than the SE in my opinion. Also - re. the comment above, the R-Design has the same suspension as the standard cars, but the sport suspension is an option, so you can still have comfort with the R-Design. Also re. another comment above, the dark interior makes it feel my cosy (again, in my opinion), which I prefer to the lighter interior of the SE (the headlining in the R-Design is black, which adds to this).
Thanks for that. I do love the R-design, think it looks fantastic, but I read it had firmer suspension than standard. If this isn't the case then that's my next car sorted
lancslad1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 12:07   #15
MJW75

I've just double checked and it appears that the lowered suspension is standard on the D2 R-Design. I'm guessing this is due to the D2 usually having the comfort chassis, whereas the D3,D4,T3, T4 and T5 have the Dynamic chassis - probably because the comfort chasis looks to high with the R-Design kit. Best double check before buying. So on anything but the D2, the suspension is apparently the same as the SE equivalent.
MJW75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 20:42   #16
DBD

Have got a V40 D4 R Design n rebel blue.....and yes the lowered suspension.

It's firm-ish but not hard. Car doesn't wallow around corners and holes in road have been ridden well.

Looks really good and........

In my opinion would have like it another 10 mm lower.
DBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 07:48   #17
lancslad1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD View Post
Have got a V40 D4 R Design n rebel blue.....and yes the lowered suspension.

It's firm-ish but not hard. Car doesn't wallow around corners and holes in road have been ridden well.

Looks really good and........

In my opinion would have like it another 10 mm lower.
Is that the new or old D4? If it's the latter can I ask what kind of economy you're getting? I'm probably going to buy second hand and want an actual Volvo engine for reliability (don't trust French engines so the D2 is out).
lancslad1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 23:47   #18
Rooster
Speed freak

The D3 and D4 engines are just a baby D5 engine and have been about for years,

Look after them and they will go well into 350k and beyond, on the older v50's ive had a couple of ecm's fail but apart from that not done much,

I wouldn't buy a v40 because its abit small for my needs but i wouldn't blink about buying a V60 or V70 with the 5 pot D4 lump in it and think i would even buy one over a D5,

On another note though there is plenty of D2 engines about now with well over 100k on them so don't totally rule them out, they might be french but they make diesels for years now,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 23:43   #19
chrome

Love my V40 r design D3. 40k now, find the ride,
good handles well
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 20:26   #20
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad1985 View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm considering a V40 for my next car (currently own a golf) and have to say it looks great. Having read a few reviews they all say that both the XC and R-design versions are just expensive bodykits like the Audi S-line with no improvement over the actual drive. Is this the case? I'm more interested in the R-design, but the reviews say it actually rides much worse with no benefit to it.
Whoever wrote those reviews is talking nonsense about the XC.

The XC has more ground clearance with a mpg penalty of about 3mpg but the car still does around 70 to 80 mpg in the D2 Tiptronic version. It also has 40 mm longer travel in the suspension and proper tyres, not those horrible rubber band things. Sorry big rim lovers, just my opinion.

I handles rough roads and potholes really well. I have been really surprised. It's still great fun to drive handles well and you don't need to grit your teeth when you hit the rough stuff, and I absolutely love it.