Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Considering V40 as next car

Views : 5875

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2014, 17:56   #1
andyc1988

Default Considering V40 as next car

Hello,

I've been looking at the V40 for a few months, seeing a few on the road they have real presence in rebel blue and I think the R Design trim looks good. I'm also very keen on the safety aspect. Given the limited 20 minute test drives on offer I'm wondering if I could get some feedback from current owners on certain aspects of the car please?

1 - Handling - I currently run a 130i M Sport which is clearly designed for sporty handling and performance. I've somewhat matured beyond this and given the poor state of the roads and the ever reducing speed limits running a quick car is just not cost effective. Having said that, I do enjoy country lanes - and there are plenty where I live - with the standard suspension how well does the V40 handle? Any size engine can reach 60mph but does the V40 deliver remotely sporty handling?

2 - Petrol - The majority of V40's seem to be diesel, but my annual mileage will be 6,000-10,000 miles so a diesel is just not appropriate. I'm considering the T3 as it shows 40-50mpg and acceleration in the 8.x seconds. Does anyone have the T3 or T4 engine and can they comment on in-gear acceleration, fuel economy, refinement, etc...?

3 - Automatic - I've been tempted to move onto an auto gearbox, the 8 speed ZF box used by BMW is impressive but many reviews have stated the Geartronic box is slow to react and can get confused. Can anyone verify this? I do have a progressive/roadcraft driving style so am not sure if Geartronic suits my driving.

4 - Cost of ownership - I like to keep my cars under warranty, especially where repairs may be expensive. Has anyone extended their Volvo's warranty after the initial period expires, and has the price/service from the extended warranty been acceptable? I also notice the service pricing on Volvo's website - a credit to their transparency - has anyone managed to beat these prices? Presuming I buy 2nd hand and the car doesn't have a plan they seem quite expensive, Mercedes and BMW both offer much cheaper prices/packages.

5 - Extended drives - Does anyone know where I might get a 24/48hr test drive of a V40?

I ask a lot of questions and I'm new to the forum but I thank anyone who has the time to reply, it will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Andy

Edit: 6 - Premium sound - Is this worth the upgrade? I like music of varying types and the 4x130W speakers with 8 in total seems like a very significant upgrade, but the specs of the standard sound system don't look too shoddy.

Last edited by andyc1988; Nov 15th, 2014 at 18:03.
andyc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 20:16   #2
Marc01

1. I find the handling sure footed, like many a review has said the steering lacks a little feedback, its not to bad under power through corners. Having driven VW GTI's and GTD's there really is no comparison when it comes to really pushing on and driver involvement the VW's win in this area.
I personally find the drive relaxing, it has the grip and composure to hold its line through the bends when pushed hard, but is less Hot Hatch and more a capable relaxed cruiser.
As for sports pack, I test drove both the standard Dynamic and sports chassis, I felt the Dynamic more than kept the body roll in check and was nicely firm, I felt the sport chassis was fine but really didn't give any noticeable gain in the handling front to the best in the class or over the Dynamic chassis, also the -10mm of lowering is barely noticeable. So in the end as a personal choice went for the Dynamic chassis and used the cash from the sports option elsewhere.
The car is fun, only you had the BMW 130i so it may not be your cup of tea. the Merc A Class perhaps that is one good looking car to.

2. I'm a Weezel man so went for the new D4 so can't help you here.

3. I tried the Auto in the T5 which also had the sports pack, the T5 is a great engine the old gearbox is not! this really let that great engine down, the newer Auto's are from what i gather as good as anything else out there at the moment.

4&5 can't help you here.

6. Never tried the Premium sound, I hear it is very good, I also like the standard system that came with my V40, its more than good enough for "my" ears
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2014, 05:59   #3
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc1988 View Post
Hello,

2 - Petrol - The majority of V40's seem to be diesel, but my annual mileage will be 6,000-10,000 miles so a diesel is just not appropriate. I'm considering the T3 as it shows 40-50mpg and acceleration in the 8.x seconds. Does anyone have the T3 or T4 engine and can they comment on in-gear acceleration, fuel economy, refinement, etc...?

Andy
Hi Andy

I cannot comment on V40 T3 although I can on S60 T3

Fuel consumption was no where near the figures, averaging around 35, so probably in V40 you will get 40 ish as it is lighter.

Performance was 'adequate'. You have to rev it. There was a pull around 4k and it did pull nicely. It was never left 'wanting' although if you are used to a 130i you will be left 'wanting more'. I found it perfectly acceptable, although a 'non descript' engine not worthy of a T badge. Sounded strained. Not particularly sporty at all. Mid range was acceptable again, but nothing to write home about.

I have owned and driven some seriously seriously quick cars also, and tbh as an every day car a T3 will probably meet all needs. Acceptable performance. acceptable(ish) mpg, acceptable refinement, (so long as you are not redlining it!!) and acceptable road tax.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2014, 13:54   #4
Loskie

"limited 20 min test drive" Try elsewhere.Lloyd Volvo in Carlisle happy to loan a car for a half day or more.
Loskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 23:19   #5
Rooster
Speed freak

If i had the choice i would get a V40 D3 or D4 (older 5pot engine) manual,

I think the diesel engines have alot more character than the petrol engines and they feel just as quick
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 06:50   #6
Marc01

The mileage and cost of ownership makes buying a diesel not the first choice for Andyc, although it does seem diesels are more desirable in resale...

I thought the older T5 was a great engine let down by the auto box, the new T5 looks good on paper at least.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 15:31   #7
Brodick
Master Member

I too am considering a new V40 although in se Lux trim
with the new D4 engine 187bhp, No annual road tax, good economy,

include the servicing package and I only need to think about insurance and fuel costs
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 18:41   #8
villarsch

Hello Andy,
After much research I've just ordered a V40 R Lux Nav with the T5 engine and 8-speed auto. This should be a very good buy, with quite adequate performance! I test-drove a diesel (T2) which had a good ride and quite good perfomance. Like you I only do 5 - 6,000 annual mileage so a diesel is not really suitable. The car is due to be delivered in January so if your questions are still open perhapsI may be in a position to answer some of them.

Villarsch
villarsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 18:46   #9
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodick View Post
I too am considering a new V40 although in se Lux trim
with the new D4 engine 187bhp, No annual road tax, good economy,

include the servicing package and I only need to think about insurance and fuel costs
The service package is a no brainer and will certainly help keep costs down, although I am curious if my services will indeed be free, or will the garage find something outside the package to charge me for!

You will be really pleased with the new D4 it's a great engine, I hope it proved to be reliable with no issues. The zero road tax and good economy should mean I'll win over the years with the mileage I am doing to counter the higher cost of diesel.

Still would be curious as to the mean consumption of the T5 over the D4, currently I am averaging 50mpg in my D4 my 45 mile average daily commute doesn't take me on any motorways though.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 21:01   #10
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villarsch View Post
Hello Andy,
After much research I've just ordered a V40 R Lux Nav with the T5 engine and 8-speed auto. This should be a very good buy, with quite adequate performance! I test-drove a diesel (T2) which had a good ride and quite good perfomance. Like you I only do 5 - 6,000 annual mileage so a diesel is not really suitable. The car is due to be delivered in January so if your questions are still open perhapsI may be in a position to answer some of them.

Villarsch
Villarsch - a T2 would be the 1.6l petrol, not a diesel, unless you meant T2?

'T' is petrol, 'D' is diesel in Volvo's confusing engine nomenclature