Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help please with VIDA on boot lock

Views : 643

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2021, 20:45   #1
XC70Virgin

Default Help please with VIDA on boot lock

Can anyone help me please.

Wife's '09 XC60 has today refused to unlock the boot lock, non powered operated. Fuse is OK and all other CEM functions appear to be OK. Last use was Friday as far as we can remember. No water leaks that I can see despite the fact that it rained a lot last night and today as many will know.

I connected VIDA and apart from a few irrelevant bits can see no other related faults. However, here's where my limitations on VIDA show as I can't get to where the boot lock is checked and operated via the softare. I could check a few other functions that were obvious, e.g. fuel door release, but can't see anything "lock" related.

Car has keyless entry if that makes any difference. And CEM was replaced 22 months ago by Volvo as a result of leaking windscreen in a previous life so if all simple checks fail hopefully warranty will cover it. I want to rule out the stupid things first though if possible. Only one dealer in NI and they're a shower of sh*tes and way over subscribed for relatively simple things like this and I'm not going Dublin direction on a whim.

Cheers in advance.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 13:38   #2
Toprivetguns

Had a similar issue on a V60. Turned out the boot open button was at fault.
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 14:15   #3
XC70Virgin

Ah thanks. Was your boot lock totally unresponsive then as the car system though the boot was open?
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 19:16   #4
Toprivetguns

Button was totally unresponsive via touching it and the fob. Ended up being wiring to the connector for the boot button. My local electrical repaired the wire.
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toprivetguns For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 19:59   #5
XC70Virgin

Many thanks. Have just spent a few freezing hours getting boot open so I got 12V on the lock and got it released. Pretty sure after farting about with Vida a while and general self-diagnosis that the CEM is OK.
Not an easy job but I got it done without destroying the interior trims. There's a release point on the lock for those that need to know that will release the lock mechanically in the event of emergency. It's marked on the black plastic cover.

Anyway, in the midst of all this I also discovered a few things not quite right in the front pass door. The puddle light and the heated mirror for example. I'm pretty sure there's broken wiring in the flexy joint. So when tidying up I went round the car and pressed each of the keyless lock buttons and found that the lock does not work on that door either but the unlock does. So my suspicions lie there at this point till I get that checked and fixed. I also noticed that the key fob boot button wakes the car up so that part works as well. Sounds like Toprivetguns issue but in a different area.

Hopefully check tomorrow. Thanks C19 for a bit of free time.
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 20:53   #6
XC70Virgin

Well, eventually got the main route of this problem. It was a tiny feed wire running to the microswitch in the boot lid. It had a break in it from corrosion. A soldered heat shrunk joint fixed that and hey presto, we have a boot that opens. It just won't respond to the remote or the dash button, but that's noo real issue as it has not POT anyway. But, still, the signal is getting lost somewhere. I could see from my extensive loom searching that loom repairs have been done before and 2 years ago we had the CEM replaced so clearly there are a few legacy issues.

Anyway, good job it's done.
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 20:30   #7
XC70Virgin

And a further minor update. On cars with no POT, the button on the remote and the dash only unlock the boot and do not actually release the lock. So ours is actually working fully now. I misunderstood the operation and expected it to drive the lock as well, as per my Golf boot.

So it's only the POT versions where the lock is released, obviously, to allow the door to operate.