Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC60 D4 2014 EGR Fault

Views : 3804

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2021, 21:19   #1
dark1429

Default Volvo XC60 D4 2014 EGR Fault

I know this is a big issue with Volvo EGR problems, my question is will Volvo replace or modify the EGR problem on a 2014 plate car with 101k miles on the clock. Is there a recall on these still ongoing or is it just pot luck with getting it fixed or replaced?
dark1429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 22:07   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark1429 View Post
I know this is a big issue with Volvo EGR problems, my question is will Volvo replace or modify the EGR problem on a 2014 plate car with 101k miles on the clock. Is there a recall on these still ongoing or is it just pot luck with getting it fixed or replaced?
Which engine is it? If it's a FWD with the VEA D4 engine then you may get some support, but I wouldn't count on it at this age and mileage. Volvo have been good to me with two EGR cooler replacements at 100% goodwill plus an EGR valve at 50% goodwill but that was all a couple of years ago and less than 75k miles.

I'd suggest visiting a Volvo dealer, although you'll need to pay for diagnostics... the trigger for goodwill payments on cooler replacement is a particular trouble code.

If you haven't seen this then it's worth a scan... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555

If you have an AWD with the 5-cylinder D4 then none of the above applies!
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 23:59   #3
Deck1ng
Master Member

The minute the dealer was told my mileage was above 100,000 miles, they didn’t want to know and the shutters where closed.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 07:11   #4
dark1429

Vea engine 2 litre fwd, will call and see. When I had manifold recall warranty work done they charged me for the EMAP pipe which I've heard was part of the warranty claim so may see if I can get my £180 back too
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 08:14   #5
Steve54hb

The most viewed and responded to thread in this sub-forum concerns the EGR issue but I'm pretty sure that Volvo never have never declared this as a recall although as Zebster says many of us have had more than one EGR replaced.
At the age of your XC60 it would be remarkable if the EGR hadn't been replaced and the coolant pipework modified previously, worth checking. Does your car have a good Volvo service history, that certainly helps when talking to Volvo UK Customer Services, which you will have to if you want the "extra goodwill contribution"?
Good luck and perseverance.

XC60 SE, my2014, VEA D4, 181bhp, Manual, 67k
Steve54hb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve54hb For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 08:53   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Vea engine 2 litre fwd, will call and see. When I had manifold recall warranty work done they charged me for the EMAP pipe which I've heard was part of the warranty claim so may see if I can get my £180 back too
Good luck, but I've not seen anyone getting goodwill contributions on an EMAP pipe.

Have you actually got an engine warning light and/or running problems? What stored or pending OBD2 trouble codes are present?

I'm not sure what EGR problem you're having, I've been assuming it's a blocked cooler but it could easily be the valve stuck open or shut... as said, I've had both these issues (valve stuck open made the car undriveable). If you get nowhere with Volvo goodwill then I reckon it doesn't look like a difficult DIY or local indy garage job... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zz6...vm5nFV&index=2

I can't find the link but someone on here did remove and clean their EMAP pipe. They used caustic soda to dissolve the soot.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 09:20   #7
dark1429

Spoke to dealer apparently EGR replaced in 2016 they said need to bring car in for them to run diagnostics and if a fault is found they will approach Volvo to see if they would cover the cost. As I erased the code with a fault code reader will wait till it comes back on. Dealer wants £100 for diagnostics though
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 09:21   #8
dark1429

Fault code P04D9
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 10:11   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Spoke to dealer apparently EGR replaced in 2016 they said need to bring car in for them to run diagnostics and if a fault is found they will approach Volvo to see if they would cover the cost. As I erased the code with a fault code reader will wait till it comes back on. Dealer wants £100 for diagnostics though
Ouch... if only you knew that goodwill would definitely be forthcoming!

Quote:
Fault code P04D9
That's the trigger code for the cooler replacement.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 10:14   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
servicing or lack of it , mileage or age was never a point they considered with this problem .. give it a go !