Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

30th Anniversary introduction 700 Series.

Views : 17268

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2012, 13:12   #41
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Appreciated.

Thanks for your support Bob.

Appreciated,

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 21:13   #42
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Hi Prufrock I just posted up in the volvo general discussion and the Lounge section.It might just get noticed more.Amazing how some folks never go into certain sections?.I must admit the only time I went into the newer car sections was to promote last years national bkv

I hope we can get something organised even if it is a small party.
The very least we can do is turn up at the national and park up in an age related lineup.I still say that as this is a one off that NON VOC MEMBERS should be allowed to park with us as a one off.There must be a few out there that just come here to keep thier cars going but don't feel the neccesity to join.I'm sure if they knew what super nice people we are they would join emmediately.It's only £29 and even if they think they would get no benefit from the offers given to voc members like new car discount and percentages off certain things.We should remind all of them that without the Voc this forum would not exhist!!!

Anyway for now all 700 owners are invited to something wether you be a voc member or just a forum member.
Not sure what just yet but hey lets give it a whirl.
Many Thanks Brian.
Hi Brian I forgot to renew my membership due to ill health and time in Hospital, Have been told no renewals are being done at present? Due to new company taking over, so its not really worth me travelling if my car aint allowed in
mrmeringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 21:24   #43
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Renewals will be sorted out long before the BKV.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cumbrianmale For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:16   #44
bob12
bob12

Default 30th Anniversary introduction 700 Series.

Going back to the original topic that set this thead off and doing something special for the 700 Series at BKV ..... I was just wondering if there had been any developments or if the idea had died a natural death? Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2012, 16:25   #45
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Going back to the original topic that set this thead off and doing something special for the 700 Series at BKV ..... I was just wondering if there had been any developments or if the idea had died a natural death? Bob.
I'm trying to ensure that the 30th Anniversary (at the BKV) happens, however, any ideas would be of interest.

Support from Forum members is critical however.

Watch this space.

Prufrock.
Old May 15th, 2012, 13:47   #46
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I've read into this, as I was curious to see what Prufrock was referencing in the National / BKV thread.

Before I do that, though....Vic, you cheeky monkey...300s not a proper Volvo indeed! None of that sort of divisive talk here, we're all friends! 360s had Volvo engines, all bar the varios had Volvo gearboxes (M45s and M47s), and the mechanical build quality was just as good as the big ones. The bodywork wasn't up to the same standard, but they weren't that far behind 240s (which also like to rot), and they were better than most things of their age. It is true though that they were a direct development of DAF's forthcoming 77, and the first couple of years of 300s had very little Volvo in them.

Interesting points raised from readings this, and my comments....

1) Someone said 100s and 200s share a register. It's "worse" than that, even. 140s, 164s and 200s each have their own register. In that context, lumping 7s and 9s together does seem a little unfair. I suspect, though, that no-one has expressed an interest until now.

2) I am a little biased in my thinking, in that I think of it from a forum point of view. We need to group like models together to save "forum real-estate". I feel we've got this wrong in places in recent years - for example I think the XC90 should be grouped with the other P2 models (S60, V70 (and XC70), S80). If we split 7s and 9s, that would set a worrying precedent for the newer stuff. That's quite distinct from the question about registers, of course.

3) From a technical point of view, the bulk of 7/900 cars *are* very, very similar, and the differences are not particularly age related. For example, most mechanical parts are interchangeable between an 83 760T and a 98 940T. There were minor mechanical changes like engine management alternations, but that's trivial, in the grand scheme of things. You're going to struggle to sway me from a mechanical point of view.

The Horbury re-design was pretty limited. The only exterior design feature I'm aware of which was changed for the 940 was the rear of the saloon - the interior changes (1990) and front end (1987) were also available on 700s. The argument for a split between 7s and 9s (as being separate models) is weakened by the appearance of the facelift 740, which was more or less a "hybrid" between the "mk1" 740 and the 940. Furthermore, you could buy a 940 with the "non-turbo, non-16v facelift 740" front end right up to 1995 in the US.

As for styling, the facelift 960 is perhaps a different matter, but a 1998 945 is essentially identical externally to a 1987 765. Even the saloons follow the same boxy theme. It's softened, sure, but it's still hardly a C70. There are greater differences between the 850s and P1 x70s, and those are usually grouped together.

Of course all of this is really just sad pedantry to be debated in a friendly manner over a pint (preferably out of earshot of the general public!).

3) Having said all of that (pedantic points out of the way), I see no reason why there shouldn't be a separate register if the members want it, and if someone wants to run it. It will take a load off Peter's plate, and I would be very happy to see Prufrock getting involved.

From a "register" point of view (opposed to technical, which is the bias applied to the forum decision), the decision is mainly for social reasons - it's what the members want. If they want a separate 700 series section, I can't see any harm in that, provided there's someone to run it and take an interest in it. What the club needs is people to take an interest and DO things, so if Prufrock wants it, and the members want it, I would welcome it with open arms.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2012, 16:54   #47
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Applying logic - the 300 series is a DAF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I've read into this, as I was curious to see what Prufrock was referencing in the National / BKV thread...lumping 7s and 9s together does seem a little unfair. I suspect, though, that no-one has expressed an interest until now...It will take a load off Peter's plate, and I would be very happy to see Prufrock getting involved.
From a "register" point of view (opposed to technical, which is the bias applied to the forum decision), the decision is mainly for social reasons - it's
what the members want. If they want a separate 700 series section, I can't see any harm in that, provided there's someone to run it and take an interest in it. What the club needs is people to take an interest and DO things, so if Prufrock wants it, and the members want it, I would welcome it with open arms.cheersJames

James, if the 700 is a 900, then the 300 is a DAF pure and simple, the logic follows.

I've nothing against the 900/90 series, they are fine cars, but they are cars of utility and not classics. Until the 700 is recognised (perhaps as a"Youngtimer"in the wider movement) there's no hope for the 900/90 - irrespective of what owner's on our forum think.

I've attempted, with support from some forum chums, to inject a little life and interest in the 700 series in this 30th Anniversary year. And it is obvious to me there is much antipathy towards the car in the classic car movement. Unfortunately with the 700 being in a minority and being"lumped in"with the 900 our voices perhaps are only just beginning to be heard.

I find it curious, and it is probably something to do with"history", that the 300 series has its own register when the 700 does not - I have thus far tried to avoid getting involved in other"registers".

I believe an argument based on mere quantity of cars or members, or both, is a lame one.

Prufrock.

P.S don't forget I was the first to make the invitation for beers around the camp fire!

Last edited by Prufrock; May 15th, 2012 at 19:18. Reason: typo
Old May 15th, 2012, 17:49   #48
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

You seem to have disagreed with two things I didn't say! I *am* in favour of a 700 register being created if the members are interested and someone is willing to do it, and I wouldn't deny that the DNA of the DAFs and 300s are just as close as the 7s and 9s. For what it's worth, though, I am technically the Volvo 66 and 300 Register Keeper...but last time I looked, there are no 66s in the club - they're all members of the DAF club!

A 300 is DAF-derived - there are a handful of pics of prototype DAF 77s out there, and they look very much like a mk1 300, so there's no denying it. However, it did have extensive modifications by Volvo (including Volvo engine (360) and gearbox, and crumple zones and side-impact bars, which mean that it remains a relatively safe car for its size, 36 years after its introduction). A fair bit of the switchgear and bits and bobs of trim are borrowed from 200s and 700s. The early ones (1.4 varios) use the DAF drivetrain, but a 360 is closer to a 240 mechanically.

If I have understood you correctly, you are concerned that 700s will slip straight from "banger" to extinct, missing the leap to "retro" ("classic" is generally deemed to end around 1970 in the circles I'm familiar with, not that we should get too concerned about terminology - the effect is the same). It's a fair point, and I would be very much in favour of measures to prevent that happening. It may be a little early to go to full panic stations just yet, though - 240s have enjoyed a significant renaissance in recent years, and I'm sure 700s will follow.

What I would avoid doing is being too negative. If your action is seen as an attack on the club, it is very unlikely to succeed. I'm sure that's not remotely your aim, but it could very well end up in failure if your approach is not carefully planned. If you meet with resistance, I'm sure help will come along, but banging your head against the resistance will be counter-productive.

I imagine that there was at first a 700 series register, onto which was tacked the 900 series. That doesn't mean it can't be untacked if there is interest. The 66 and 300 are natural bedfellows (much like the 7s and 9s - it might not be ideal, but it works in concept), and share a register because there aren't enough cars or interest to justify a separate register. I presume that's what you meant, rather than that the 300s don't justify a register at all...?

The quantity of cars and members is not a lame argument, in my opinion - it's a practical one. I know what you're getting at (I think), but in practical terms if there are no interested members for a register to serve, and no-one to do it, it won't happen. It may take time for the club to come around to the idea, but that's because it has been this way for a while...not because it can't happen. There is a common problem with the club whereby people say "this should be happening"...but have no solution for who is going to make it happen. There are not willing register-running volunteers lying around waiting to be given a task. It takes people stepping forward, as, to your credit, you have done. Standing on the sidelines and shouting achieves nothing, so I congratulate you on coming forward and volunteering to get involved...but now we need to make it happen. I'm happy to be involved in supporting a new 700 register if that's what people want.

My only other suggestion is that we leave it until after the national. I think everyone involved has more than enough on their plates at the moment!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 19:04   #49
940Graeme
Premier Member

I thought you 700 chaps might be interested in this original Advert from an October 1982 edition of the National Geographic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo 760 Ad Oct 1982 v2.jpg (339.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by 940Graeme; Jun 5th, 2012 at 19:11.
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 940Graeme For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 01:10   #50
940Graeme
Premier Member

I have a higher quality scan of this ad if you would like it, this is the best quality that I can post on here.

Happy to e-mail you the better one.

Drop me a PM
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote