Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar Tunes on the D5 and Cylinder Liner Cracks

Views : 323

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2024, 14:35   #1
Daim
Brit in Germany

Default Polestar Tunes on the D5 and Cylinder Liner Cracks

Hey guys,

I was was browsing through the offerings in my local Volvo dealership page and noticed they offer Polestar tunes for the D5.

Apparently the power output of my specific model (205 hp/420 nm) D5 will raise to 225 hp and 460 nm. Sounds nice, but then again, that just sounds like a remap to the highest factory output of the D5 in the latest years (185-205-215-225 hp).

It's not really a high power gain but 40 nm of torque and that at a lower rpm is a good start. Question is: will the 6 speed automatic be able to cope?

The Aisin TF80SC isn't a weak box, but as far as I have Ben able to research, it seems to have a torque limit of around 450 nm (depending on different factors etc). Is there anything to worry about?

Also, I am aware of many D5s around 2010 (my model year) having cracks and therefore coolant loss in the cylinder walls. Now, mine has no coolant loss and I haven't even properly abused it yet. Top speed on the Autobahn I normally do is around 100 mph (161 km/h). Would I still have to expect any issues or do you think I'm fine now, as my V70 is a few days away from turning 14 and still has no coolant loss...

Cheers

Damien

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 16:34   #2
xavierx

I've never heard of cylinder cracks being common, even head gaskets failing are super rare until you get into crazy high mileage

TF80C are fine with the extra 20hp, hence why Volvo was confident to offer the polestar as a warrantied upgrade. There are plenty of people who have done tens of thousands of miles since installing the Polestar upgrade.

Personally I don't see the point of spending money for 20hp, it's not a sporty car, nor a sporty engine and the stock 205hp will happy do 120-130mph on the autobahn for hours.
2011 F10 BMW M5
xavierx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xavierx For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 16:46   #3
reggit
Premier Member

I got the polestar map last year when Lloyds were doing it really cheap.
It gives a nice amount of extra poke - not had any noticeable issues with the car since, but also don’t cane it around everywhere.

I would do it again when I change (at the right price).
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 16:46   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

I believe the polestar tune also up dates gearbox software in the package.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 18:22   #5
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierx View Post
I've never heard of cylinder cracks being common, even head gaskets failing are super rare until you get into crazy high mileage

TF80C are fine with the extra 20hp, hence why Volvo was confident to offer the polestar as a warrantied upgrade. There are plenty of people who have done tens of thousands of miles since installing the Polestar upgrade.

Personally I don't see the point of spending money for 20hp, it's not a sporty car, nor a sporty engine and the stock 205hp will happy do 120-130mph on the autobahn for hours.
Possibly because the cracks form with high power use over a longer period of time (I.e. Autobahn, flat out for 30-60 mins repeatedly). Volvo even issued a partial recall here...

Regarding the PS upgrade... It isn't just more HP but also a reduction in RPM for peak power. So the torque can be used earlier rather than at higher rpm...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 19:59   #6
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I've been running my '12 XC70 for 4 years with the Polestar optimisation. Nothing but praise for the improvement and no reliability failings. It is expensive unless you can find an good offer and it helps if you can charge your car expenses against tax.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 10:00   #7
SWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
I believe the polestar tune also up dates gearbox software in the package.
It doesn't on the D5. The only engine that seems to received any software change is the T6.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SWH For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 10:25   #8
Gotcha

Going the Polestar route is a very safe option, and nothing to be concerend about, as everything is still in spec and the tune is "approved" by Volvo.

More power and nm always feels nice, and you will notice and put a smile on your face.
Gotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gotcha For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 08:11   #9
Puffster

A police spec ecu is the polestar, just not by name and in my car (MY11) has been in the car since birth to 212k miles without any problem to the engine.
I had a cylinder leak on my old 163 bhp XC70 and that was a pain to keep topping up all the time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Puffster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 10:08   #10
apersson850
Premier Member

My D5 has been running with the Polestar update for years now. From 215 hp to 230, from 440 Nm to 470.
Nothing bad has happened.
Although there's no specific update to the TCM included, it does behave differently. If load is too high for the car to cope in 6th gear uphill, it doesn't drop as far down as it does without Polestar, but switches down quicker for a smoother ride.

Like dropping from 90 to 85 km/h before switching to 5th gear, instead of dropping all the way down to 80 km/h and then frequently switching down twice, to fourth, before getting up to 90 km/h again.

There is a very noticeable difference compared to our stock D4, 181 hp/400 Nm.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post: