Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 161176

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2016, 00:24   #121
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngloScot View Post
No worries, I have been using this site iirc the same time as yourself and bought my car from the same place as you and around the same time. So far I haven't had the mis-fortune of the dreaded turtle ( felt for you when that happened) and still love my car. I won't be changing mine anytime soon but the afore mentioned BMW belonging to Mrs A will be replaced with a new 16Plate, either BMW X1, Audi X3 or maybe the new Tiguan as we don't need 2 XC60's in the family and she would prefer something slightly smaller. Just to add we are in the early stages of refurbishing our bathroom so are in a similar situation. By the way we often drive to Edinburgh and as we pass through the borders I always look out for a Red XC60 but haven't seen it yet. Looking forward to passing over Soutra next week, hope there's no snow Lol. Cheers.
The new Tiguan is based upon the MQB chassis, unlike the current Q3 which is on an older platform. Looks good, but the choice of engines / FWD-AWD / transmission looks somewhat 'rationed' for the UK market launch. The choice will get better, but in true VAG style, they make you wait for it. Should be better value than the X1 and Q3 and is probably a little larger.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 08:40   #122
norco

New Tiguan looks a lot better with boot at 610 litres but, as you say Nigel, higher power diesels be later on. Review of the 148 version did say that the 181 may not be worth the extra. I looked at the X1in the showroom and shape is a big improvement but still small with a 500 litres, albeit well shaped, boot. Expensive too. Looking to change next year and current choices appear to be Tiguan, Kodiak(?), Ford Edge (?) Disco Sport (reliability will need improving) and most likely an XC60 if they don't mess up the shape and pricing. Having a large dog needing a fitted crate means large, tall boot so he comes round the dealers to jump in and out! Private buyer means residuals are important so interested to see how the XC fares on trade in/private sale. Given the discount l am hoping favourably. Be interesting to see the split on here for private vs leasing/company car.
norco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 09:51   #123
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norco View Post
New Tiguan looks a lot better with boot at 610 litres but, as you say Nigel, higher power diesels be later on. Review of the 148 version did say that the 181 may not be worth the extra. I looked at the X1in the showroom and shape is a big improvement but still small with a 500 litres, albeit well shaped, boot. Expensive too. Looking to change next year and current choices appear to be Tiguan, Kodiak(?), Ford Edge (?) Disco Sport (reliability will need improving) and most likely an XC60 if they don't mess up the shape and pricing. Having a large dog needing a fitted crate means large, tall boot so he comes round the dealers to jump in and out! Private buyer means residuals are important so interested to see how the XC fares on trade in/private sale. Given the discount l am hoping favourably. Be interesting to see the split on here for private vs leasing/company car.
The new XC60 dates are still not certain, and even when 'launched' it will be at least 6 months before UK dealers have stock and then there will be waiting lists and minimal discounts.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 10:09   #124
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I think the Kodiak is being launched in Geneva. There will be a lot of people waiting for that. I loved my Yeti but the boot was just too small for an expanding family. The Kodiak should resolve that. The key is then to get the pricing right. Listening to the Skoda top bod recently he seemed very aware of the position of Skoda within the VAG group and also what people are prepared to pay for a Skoda. Based on that the pricing should remain competitive. It could be a real challenge to the XC60.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 11:13   #125
norco

Nigel - I would think Sept 17 latest to get XC60 delivered. Not sure on discounts - they ran the same discount across the face lift model in 2013 but brand new model? I think it is a price sensitive model especially with many already emerging competitors. A lot who have bought on here have value for money factored in - l always liked it but wasn't prepared to spend so much. Then l found out it was the same price as the Golf GTD l was looking at! Mrs N was resistant to change but now wants to stay SUV although GTD is now also estate. If Volvo hike prices they are going to lose sales particularly off the bottom half specs. As their best selling car they will have to be careful. We may end up with higher spec current model wringing out the discount as too long to wait for new version.

Harvey - Kodiak will be worth a look if shape is good, some spy shots seem to vary widely. Persuading Mrs N may be a problem as she has some badge reservations despite loving our old Octavia running as the second car. Seat Ateca looks nice but too small.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 11:22   #126
NigelDay
Premier Member

Mrs D would need a blindfold to get into a Skoda. A very 'old fashioned' view and a shame because they make some really sensible cars if the specification and options match what you are looking for.
I recall when the XC60 was first launched there were long waiting lists. Perhaps not the '9 months +' which afflicts the X3, but it was significant. I would expect to see the same in 2017 hence my caution on timings. My XC60 was around 8 weeks from late March to late May 2015.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 11:26   #127
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Nigel - I would think Sept 17 latest to get XC60 delivered. Not sure on discounts - they ran the same discount across the face lift model in 2013 but brand new model? I think it is a price sensitive model especially with many already emerging competitors. A lot who have bought on here have value for money factored in - l always liked it but wasn't prepared to spend so much. Then l found out it was the same price as the Golf GTD l was looking at! Mrs N was resistant to change but now wants to stay SUV although GTD is now also estate. If Volvo hike prices they are going to lose sales particularly off the bottom half specs. As their best selling car they will have to be careful. We may end up with higher spec current model wringing out the discount as too long to wait for new version.
I would expect any full replacement model to follow the XC90 pattern of almost zero discount for at least the first 6-12 months. Only after then will they know whether (& by how much) they need to allow discounts - the XC90 seems to be holding up very well for Volvo. Less so for those of us who liked the pricing available!!
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 11:35   #128
norco

I hope not. The 90 is a lower volume model and there will be enormous choice in the £30-45k range inc new Q5 and X3, (fixed)disco sport, GLC etc. With no discounts l will be most probably driving newer current shape or something else. May not be alone in that.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 14:22   #129
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
I hope not. The 90 is a lower volume model and there will be enormous choice in the £30-45k range inc new Q5 and X3, (fixed)disco sport, GLC etc. With no discounts l will be most probably driving newer current shape or something else. May not be alone in that.
The other problem is the forthcoming VED changes from April 2017. Anything with a LIST price over £40k INCLUDING OPTIONS will attract a tax penalty of £310 per annum for FIVE years. That's another £1550. Also the general rates are going up.
I'm a mean sod, so the attractions of a VEA FWD manual paying nothing in the first year then just £30 VED per annum following were obvious. In 2017 the VED on an equivalent new XC60 will also rise to £160 per annum. My list price with options was also over £40k. Glad my timings were right. When it is a private purchase, these extras all add up.
Expect some very keen pricing around the £39,999 mark from April 2017 !
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 14:42   #130
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
The other problem is the forthcoming VED changes from April 2017. Anything with a LIST price over £40k INCLUDING OPTIONS will attract a tax penalty of £310 per annum for FIVE years. That's another £1550. Also the general rates are going up.
I'm a mean sod, so the attractions of a VEA FWD manual paying nothing in the first year then just £30 VED per annum following were obvious. In 2017 the VED on an equivalent new XC60 will also rise to £160 per annum. My list price with options was also over £40k. Glad my timings were right. When it is a private purchase, these extras all add up.
Expect some very keen pricing around the £39,999 mark from April 2017 !
I agree, the list prices will surely be adjusted otherwise so many are going to caught up in this new tax.

I believe that this £310 will also have to be paid on second hand purchases, so any nicely loaded demonstrator will attract this tax, also anyone buying a 3 year old car will have to pay it for 2 years!!

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan