Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wont start

Views : 18698

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2010, 17:16   #21
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Is it worth putting injector cleaner through to stop them from getting blocked?
Old May 9th, 2010, 23:30   #22
jaffsdad
jaffsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass View Post
It may be leaking injectors, there are several posts dotted around explaining how to test them (basically pull off the bleed hoses and check that only a minor amount of fuel comes out).
I have never worked on a diesel engine and can't make sense from a manual I borrowed. can you help identify on my attatched photos.

Puzzled
Trevor
jaffsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 23:41   #23
switcher
switcher

Since it starts with a jump start but not on its own battery it might be worth checking that the battery to earth connection is good. Also make sure that the engine to earth connection is good.
switcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 00:42   #24
jaffsdad
jaffsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
My 2003 D5 in tank fuel pump failed gradually over a long period and towards the final few weeks the engine got increasingly difficult to start until eventually no amount of cranking would get it going , I had already tried replacing the fuel filter which is easy and a low cost item so its worth a try . Take off the rubber type fuel feed pipe mounted at the front of engine feeding the injection pump then turn the engine over and see if it pumps out fuel , it should prime and pump fuel just by turning on the ignition the pressure is 2 bar so thats enough to make it spurt out . You will need to fit new clips on the pipe . No gaurantee this is whats wrong but its an easy enough item to rule out before you attack the injectors . Another way of checking is to use an old windscreen reservoir or radiator supply tank , the ones fitted to old minis and 1100s are ideal because they have a suitable small bore outlet on which you can connect a rubber pipe about 1m long which you then run to the high pressure pump inlet . Suspend the tank by tying it to bonnet latch to give it a small head of pressure which was enough on my D5 for it to start and run the engine without the in tank fuel pump and it started very easily first time . You need to clean everything carefully first , the fuel is not being filtered when doing this , grit or dirt getting in will cause serious problems .
Well I thought I was going to get away without further action........ BUT!
I replaced the fuel filter and ran a bottle of injector cleaner though the engine, but ony a little better, at first at least... NOW it worse and its warmer weather so iys got to be sorted.
CAN IASK FOR MORE HELP> you say Take off the rubber type fuel feed pipe mounted at the front of engine feeding the injection pump then turn the engine over and see if it pumps out fuel
But i can't be sure which pipe it is.
The photo shows rubber pipes from the two horizontal tubes that run full length at the front of the engine, is it the top or lower... or the one running from the top pipe to the large bore metal tube feeding the injectors. or is it one of the small bore pipes to the right of these. My Haynes manual doesn't make it to clear.

Also the 2nd suggestion talks of connecting a tube to the high presure pump "inlet" can you help me identify that too.
I have seen the two smaller bore pipes on the right.
Old May 10th, 2010, 00:55   #25
jaffsdad
jaffsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by switcher View Post
Since it starts with a jump start but not on its own battery it might be worth checking that the battery to earth connection is good. Also make sure that the engine to earth connection is good.
It turns over fine, just won't start within 30 seconds. and needs a squirt of "quick start". then after a run and parked for ½ hour it starts with about 5 to 10 seconds turning over.
its had new battery. though not checked connections under bonnet.

Tags
battery, cold, glow plugs, start