Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Realistic costs of XC90 ownership

Views : 3726

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 22:51   #11
tj101c70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick lince View Post
Thanks for the responses. I am feeling much happier for some positive stories. I had also checked out owner reviews on what car etc which have been very positive also.

I am definately going to place my order, its just a question of whether to opt for the SE or the SE Lux (which I certainly fancy!) and whether to havethe Rear Screen Entertainment fitted or buy after market.
If the budget will stretch, go for the D5 185 Se Lux Gear, with factory RSE, you will not recoup the cost come resell time, but will certainly make the car more attractive !! Enjoy
98 Defender 50th V8
87 240 GLT Est (Red Man)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:41   #12
perussell

As they say, "you pays your money and you makes your choice" but here's something else to think about for a minute........
I lease my XC90 through a personal lease scheme run by my employers and so our monthly payments are closely linked to overall depreciation costs. Before I decided against having another XC90 I looked very carefully at the respective lease values of the SE Lux and the Executive (which is what I run today) and it seems that the Exec model is only a few pounds a month dearer than the SE Lux which suggests it holds its' value better in the longer term.
Yes, the Executive costs a fair bit more than the Se Lux new but if you recoup most of that when you come to sell then it's a relatively cheap way of getting a load more gear on your car without having to specify extras that nearly always lose all their value.
Might be worth doing the maths..........

My Exec does have the RSE as standard (the new ones don't) but it might be worth considering a portable unit which you can transfer from car to car and which remains yours when you sell the XC90.

Another point about the RSE raised elsewhere is that since the screens in the headrests don't tilt the viewer needs to be looking at the screen more or less at eye-level. If you have small kids that isn't always the case even with booster seats.

Decisions, decisions.............. but nice ones :-)
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 15:34   #13
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

Default xc90 running costs

only nine months into ownership of new xc90 exec (trouble free) must say it is a great drive around town or on motorway.Suggest if you buy new add the 3 year service package which was £300 when I purchased. With xc90 exec at 31k(discounted) new they are a bargain in my opinion. but please do not expect it to be a cheap car to run. If you are concerned about 23mpg around town 30mpg motorway and tyres at £200 per corner then do not buy it. Just because they are now heavily discounted does not change the fact that running costs are similar to x5 or ML series. But if you want safety comfort reliability (problems all developed out now) and to transport you and your loved ones around in a bullet proof luxury car it is an unbeatable package.
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 18:54   #14
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunderground View Post
only nine months into ownership of new xc90 exec (trouble free) must say it is a great drive around town or on motorway.Suggest if you buy new add the 3 year service package which was £300 when I purchased. With xc90 exec at 31k(discounted) new they are a bargain in my opinion. but please do not expect it to be a cheap car to run. If you are concerned about 23mpg around town 30mpg motorway and tyres at £200 per corner then do not buy it. Just because they are now heavily discounted does not change the fact that running costs are similar to x5 or ML series. But if you want safety comfort reliability (problems all developed out now) and to transport you and your loved ones around in a bullet proof luxury car it is an unbeatable package.
My 03 D5 gives at least 28mpg in town and 40+ on the motorway. I paid £120 each for my Vredstien Wintrack4 Extremes on line three years ago. I'm finding it quite a cheap car to run. My only complaint is the car tax. Not a good move by the Government to put it up by £35 a few weeks before an election.

I agree it's a fantastic car though. I make up excuses to drive it I enjoy it so much. The only competition (7 seat 4X4) I can see is still only the Landcruiser and Discovery 3. Both more expensive to run.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 19:17   #15
ckp
I've Been Banned

2008 model with 226 RICA cost per year, 47 old, 12K per year.

Road tax = £405
Service = £400 (Average)
Insurance = £450 (350 without the RICA)
Tyres = £500 (assume 2 front every year, 2 rears every 2 years)

My 'base' cost per year before a gallon of Diesel = £1,755

But I love it, I have 4 children and the XC90 feels safe and secure. I am using Volvo servicing and spending £150-170/tyres. So, I suspect you could cut it back a bit.
ckp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 22:20   #16
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

Default xc90 running costs

cannot manage to better 23 mpg on short trips in my d5 exec perhaps I have a heavy right foot. Tyre price of £200 was for a pirelli 19" 255/50/19w but a set of kumho 19" can be had for £500 from black circles (they are great for price and service) so apologies if I overstated running costs. To be honest its the best car i have ever owned and I would not give it up no matter what it cost. New D5 has lower tax (£225 at registration)as co2 is lower owing to particulate filter. I suspect the filter reduces mpg though.

Last edited by chunderground; Apr 15th, 2010 at 22:49. Reason: spelling mistake
The Following User Says Thank You to chunderground For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 22:42   #17
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

Default xc90 d5 performance

Anyone had A d5 chipped. Only asked because volvo dealers now offer a polestar chip upgrade for £550 which increases torque to 450NM but I would not chance the upgrade untill I new the effect on driveability as I love the way it drives. When I put on my sensible head it says "leave it alone if it aint broke dont fix it" but I would like to hear from anyone who has had it done.

Last edited by chunderground; Apr 15th, 2010 at 22:50.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 15:00   #18
JimmyB

make sure you go for the 3yr service deal as mentioned above. I bought mine from a dealer (demo car) 3mths old with minimal mileage. Price was good approx £10k off original price. But as Dealer does not buy the service package (for obvious reasons) then I could not benefit from this (as it is transferable - so good selling point). Personally I think buying in this way Volvo should extend the offer to give me the option to purchase as technically the first "private" owner. The risk to Volvo should be lower as the dealer will look after the car more than the majority of private owner's - as it is used a selling point and they have a responsibility to ensure it is road worthy for the test drives.. So Volvo would still get £300 from me and give me good impression of the brand. But alas they don't and this has really p*ssed me off... So the first service cost me £330, the 2nd they say will be more expensive as more filters need changing (so about £420), and the 3rd if £300 means I am £750 out of pocket.

I would have bought new if I could but I needed to get the car quicker than the delivery times for new, so maybe I just have to accept it.

Without hijacking this thread anyone else who bought similar to me who did not get the service deal I would be interested to hear your views esp if you have questioned it with the dealers or Volvo HQ.
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 20:34   #19
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

The RSE screens are great now! I have had our new Exec XC90 for a week, and the screens have an excellent viewing angle vertically, so however tall or short the passenger they can see really well. Also they are 8" now not 7". Well worth he money IMHO.
ITServe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 20:35   #20
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

You can buy the service package when you go in for the first service according to the blurb, so surely you can still buy it? Or else the dealer could buy it for you and you bung them the cash?
ITServe is offline   Reply With Quote