Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wont start

Views : 18658

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 01:21   #1
jaffsdad
jaffsdad

Default wont start

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SORRY but the only way I can explain my problem and request your help is to explain the story.. My is a 2002 V70 D5 Diesel 2.4 Estate
About 4 - 6 weeks ago I noticed, it was slow to start. I mention to my wife that I should check the Glow Plugs" (from past experience with my 94 940 SE) But of course I never got round to it, and it got worse. So when it wouldn't start on new-years day morning I guessed I had left it too long. Later that day it started using a friends car & jump leads. I took it for a run before connecting my CTEK 3600 smart charger. The next morning (after 15 hours charging) the charger still did not indicate full charge, and the car still wouldn't start. I check the glow Plugs to find 2 duff and one slow, so replaced those 3 and expected it to start. BUT NO !
I then put my old standard charger on for the night. Next morning my cheap & very old Halfords hydrometer indicated ½ charge.. and 12.95 volts at the battery terminals (off charge). The engine turned over OK but still didn’t start so I called my "Home Start" company. He did no more than squirt some Quick Start spray into the air filter and connect to his big battery via jump leads before asking me to try again. It started on about 3rd revolution. So we both reckoned it was my battery at fault....
Today I replaced the battery with a £100 Bosch 4013 95Ah with cold test current 800 Amps. . and fully expected it to start BUT NO! Again.
Has anyone any suggestions? - To recap >>
It has only started twice since 1st Jan and both times with the aid of jump leads. Now with 5 good Glow Plugs and a new battery it won’t start.
jaffsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 09:16   #2
jackass

It may be leaking injectors, there are several posts dotted around explaining how to test them (basically pull off the bleed hoses and check that only a minor amount of fuel comes out).
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 10:10   #3
Dynosaur
GoldMember

You need to be specific.
Is the problem that there's not enough juice to spin the starter ?
Or that juice is aplenty but it won't fire up ?
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 13:52   #4
jaffsdad
jaffsdad

Default Won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynosaur View Post
You need to be specific.
Is the problem that there's not enough juice to spin the starter ?
Or that juice is aplenty but it won't fire up ?
It turns OK as you would expect from a new battery, Bosch 4023 800 amp cold start.... though it does sound to turn that bit stronger with the two batteries together (parallel) via jump leads. but still needs to be turned over for a long while. There are no faultering starts, once it fires, it keeps going.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 14:00   #5
jaffsdad
jaffsdad

Default Won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass View Post
It may be leaking injectors, there are several posts dotted around explaining how to test them (basically pull off the bleed hoses and check that only a minor amount of fuel comes out).
I am not too sure about injectors; I have plenty DIY experience with petrol, resulting from several unreliable cars in the past and lack of money to pay others. So poor starting gave me loads of experience with sparks & timimg etc... But never had a spanner to diesel.
Can you say how to find the "bleed hose" what does it look like? and what amount of leaking fluid I am looking for and whether it bad or good. Also what sort of job? cost etc would a garage make of it. Would it come under servicing?

Thanks
Trevor
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 14:03   #6
Dynosaur
GoldMember

I'd be inclined to change the fuel filter, see if it helps.
If no, then change the glowplugs, see if it helps.
If no, then change the car - because if it IS your injectors, you'll be looking down the wrong end of a hefty bill .... even if you swap them out yourself.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 14:08   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

It is most likely just one or two injectors not all 5 will need changing ...
this problem could also be the in-tank low pressure feed pump ..
but if using the extra battery to get a higher cranking speed does the trick , it points to a leaky injector or two ..
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 14:15   #8
Dynosaur
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is most likely just one or two injectors not all 5 will need changing ...
this problem could also be the in-tank low pressure feed pump ..
but if using the extra battery to get a higher cranking speed does the trick , it points to a leaky injector or two ..
Also might help to hook up a code-reader and see if there's anything flagged up.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 15:56   #9
jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffsdad View Post
But never had a spanner to diesel.
Can you say how to find the "bleed hose" what does it look like? and what amount of leaking fluid I am looking for and whether it bad or good. Also what sort of job? cost etc would a garage make of it. Would it come under servicing?

Thanks
Trevor
Take off the engine cover and the low pressure hoses linking the top of the five injectors together is the return from the internal bleed valve. It can leak a very small quantity (drips) at startup but if it's gushing out the injector is goosed.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 18:38   #10
jaffsdad
jaffsdad

Question won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynosaur View Post
I'd be inclined to change the fuel filter, see if it helps.
If no, then change the glowplugs, see if it helps.
If no, then change the car - because if it IS your injectors, you'll be looking down the wrong end of a hefty bill .... even if you swap them out yourself.
Thanks.
I have replaced 3 Glow Plugs, the other two are OK.
What sort of job is it to replece injectors. I have done alsorts with petrol engines, inc. several complete enging swapouts, though wouldn't choose to do that again. But spanners are OK. Do they need spaecial setup following replacement.

Tags
battery, cold, glow plugs, start