Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wont start

Views : 18662

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 19:10   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

firstly you need to determine which ones if any are faulty . its fairly straightforward to change the injector but certain things need looking out for . which can be explained when the time comes ...
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 22:04   #12
Bernard333
Premier Member

My 2003 D5 in tank fuel pump failed gradually over a long period and towards the final few weeks the engine got increasingly difficult to start until eventually no amount of cranking would get it going , I had already tried replacing the fuel filter which is easy and a low cost item so its worth a try . Take off the rubber type fuel feed pipe mounted at the front of engine feeding the injection pump then turn the engine over and see if it pumps out fuel , it should prime and pump fuel just by turning on the ignition the pressure is 2 bar so thats enough to make it spurt out . You will need to fit new clips on the pipe . No gaurantee this is whats wrong but its an easy enough item to rule out before you attack the injectors . Another way of checking is to use an old windscreen reservoir or radiator supply tank , the ones fitted to old minis and 1100s are ideal because they have a suitable small bore outlet on which you can connect a rubber pipe about 1m long which you then run to the high pressure pump inlet . Suspend the tank by tying it to bonnet latch to give it a small head of pressure which was enough on my D5 for it to start and run the engine without the in tank fuel pump and it started very easily first time . You need to clean everything carefully first , the fuel is not being filtered when doing this , grit or dirt getting in will cause serious problems .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 00:47   #13
jaffsdad
jaffsdad

Red face Won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is most likely just one or two injectors not all 5 will need changing ...
this problem could also be the in-tank low pressure feed pump ..
but if using the extra battery to get a higher cranking speed does the trick , it points to a leaky injector or two ..
If as several of you suggest it is faulty injectors, will I gain anything else with new ones. i.e. MPG or MPH
jaffsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 19:48   #14
Georgey dee
Premier Member

I had the very same fault before Christmas and now got it again. A new injector fixed the fault.

When it didn't start last week when I was in Telford I tipped boiling water from a kettle over all the old injectors and she fired up straight away.

It's booked in Monday for another injector (I'm gonna insist on 4!) top mount and wishbones.

Warrenties are ace!
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 11:04   #15
jaffsdad
jaffsdad

Question

Seems to be a bit of a problem with these injectors. I never had injector problems with my 94 940. and 120,000 when I bought it and I added another 200,000 os so. Did you get the volvo injectors, what was the fit charge. I am wondering about a DIY job as the parts are quite expensive on their own.
jaffsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 11:26   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

only 2002-3 seem affected volvo fitted a new type of filter in 2003 which i believe was to cure this problem as it was not the injectors at fault but the filter letting particles through to partialy jam the injectors..
Its fairly easy to change an injector but you will need a new clamping kit and pipe for each one you change and it is vital the seat down in the head is spotless and shining .
AND order the correct class of injector , 1 2 or 3 yours will be marked in a circle on top the injector
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 18:07   #17
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Don't know about any of the charges as my car is under Volvo warranty.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 18:48   #18
Propofol

Is it possible to retrofit this filter Clan to protect the injectors on 2002-2003 models?
Propofol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 20:37   #19
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffsdad View Post
If as several of you suggest it is faulty injectors, will I gain anything else with new ones. i.e. MPG or MPH
Yeah, it'll start
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 21:17   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propofol View Post
Is it possible to retrofit this filter Clan to protect the injectors on 2002-2003 models?
I dont know , youd need to have both at hand to compare the differences , you cant see the whole bracket clearly .. I would suspect the filter element for the metal type is improved now .. as injector problems are now very few .

Tags
battery, cold, glow plugs, start