Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2017 XC60 Battery Charging

Views : 4640

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 22:08   #11
HDAV
Master Member

You only charge the main battery the start stop batt is isolated and taken care of by the vehicle charging system.
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 09:52   #12
moosehead74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
You only charge the main battery the start stop batt is isolated and taken care of by the vehicle charging system.
Many thanks. I thought the main battery was for starting. Does the smaller battery take care of the start / stop? Have to say start / stop and multiple batteries are new to me. It did strike me that 70Ah for a main battery seemed small compared to the 100Ah in my W203 Merc.
moosehead74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 10:15   #13
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead74 View Post
Many thanks. I thought the main battery was for starting. Does the smaller battery take care of the start / stop? Have to say start / stop and multiple batteries are new to me. It did strike me that 70Ah for a main battery seemed small compared to the 100Ah in my W203 Merc.
The main battery is for starting. The smaller (auxiliary) battery is to keep the vehicle electrics running when the stop/start functions and the engine is stopped.
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 10:25   #14
psung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
Yes, there is an earthing point to the rear of the battery under the removable panel. I sent images of the point and how to get to it to a fellow member a few weeks ago on this same matter. It is very easy to get to. I have the CTEK 7 and the charging lead -ve is connected to that point. If you want to consider doing this, send me a pm and I'll forward the same e mail and details to you. Check out the post on Dec 29th by Samball....... I must say, mine is a MY 2016. It has to be worth a look.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301502
Mick can you send me the instructions? I can't PM you as I have less then 30 posts. Thanks
psung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 13:11   #15
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The "battery low" warning is just that and if you know why its occurring, it's not necessarily a worry.

When charging via an external charger.... (this is documented in the owners manual)

- Leave the battery in the vehicle and connected
- Then Connect the +ve lead from the charger to the +ve terminal of the battery directly
- Then connect the -ve lead from the charger to a earthing bolt, chassis or engine.
Decided to charge the battery yesterday as car hadn't been used in 2 weeks and was getting the battery low warning. All going well until I dropped one of the crocodile clips (they plug into the charger cables on my charger) into the engine bay. It did have to be the black one which was impossible to see or find with a torch. Spent an enjoyable (!) 2 hours looking for it, removing the engine undertray and eventually found it hooked over the lower crossmember below the radiator fan! 2 hours later, all connected to battery but grazed and cut arms and knuckles... There is a lot under the bonnet in the XC60, not for the amateur mechanic nowadays.
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 11:37   #16
psung

Anyone have a picture of the earth point Mick talking about? I looked behind the battery but can’t see it.

Last edited by psung; Apr 25th, 2020 at 11:49.
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 15:41   #17
samball

Quote:
Originally Posted by psung View Post
Anyone have a picture of the earth point Mick talking about? I looked behind the battery but can’t see it.
If you pm me your private email address I can forward a copy of email instructions that Mick787 gave me.
samball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 18:48   #18
Steve XC60
Structural member

Hi all, I thought I would add to this thread rather than start a new one as it is pretty similar questions.

I have a 2011 XC60 D3 Manual. It is the DRIVe Eco version and so has start/stop.

As we have been on lock down, the car has been used very little and when used about a week ago for a trip to the supermarket, it showed the "battery low" warning, which wasn't unexpected to be honest.

I have bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 battery charger and plan to recharge the battery and then trickle charge it every so often until the lock down ends.

I have a few questions and a helpful answer from the experts out there would be much appreciated. I have trawled the threads on similar questions but have drawn a blank so far.

1. Can anyone tell me if I have an AGM battery? I have seen different opinions on whether the D3 manual with stop/start has an AGM battery or not. Given it is stop/start, I would have thought it would be but I cannot find reference on the battery to it being an AGM battery - see attached photos. (The reason I ask is that there is a different setting on the recharger depending on whether it is an AGM battery or not.)

2. I think I have found the negative earth point that Mick has mentioned. Is it this that is shown in the attached photo (where there is a label attached saying "Electricity OK")?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Cheers,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2092(2).JPG (43.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2093(2).JPG (56.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2097(2).JPG (34.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2099(2).JPG (32.5 KB, 86 views)
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 20:16   #19
psung

Quote:
Originally Posted by samball View Post
If you pm me your private email address I can forward a copy of email instructions that Mick787 gave me.
Unfortunately I don’t have enough posting to be allowed sending private message.
The Following User Says Thank You to psung For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 20:43   #20
psung

Steve,

Thanks for that photo, look like that bolt is very hard to get to.

I have the same charger as you, and similar car mine 2016 Manual, XC60 D4 with start stop. Mine have a EFB starter battery and a AGM support battery.

From what I read EFB charge the same as AGM, so I used the charger in AGM mode.

I just tested charging my car today by temporary unscrewing a plastic nut to expose a metal screw to the left of the battery compartment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BEE5F905-264C-4213-814C-A278E192AA67.jpg (77.2 KB, 69 views)