Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2017 XC60 Battery Charging

Views : 4643

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2020, 23:13   #21
Mick787

SteveXC60, yes, that looks like the common earth point the dealer used on my car. It looks difficult to get to and rather daunting, but really it isn't. I know because I changed my 'rats tail' after I decided to buy the connector with the 'traffic lights' on it so I can get an idea of whether to top it up or not. The dealer fitted the original CTEK connecting lead for me. The panel to the nearside of it lifts out and it is really easy to fit the negative of the CTEK rats tail to it. Any plastic panel securing pins which hold panels in place could all be re used when I did the job on my car. I must stress, mine is a MY2016 D5 XC60, yes it has stop start but I don't know if it has the AGM battery that you talk about.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mick787 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 07:17   #22
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psung View Post
Steve,

Thanks for that photo, look like that bolt is very hard to get to.

I have the same charger as you, and similar car mine 2016 Manual, XC60 D4 with start stop. Mine have a EFB starter battery and a AGM support battery.

From what I read EFB charge the same as AGM, so I used the charger in AGM mode.

I just tested charging my car today by temporary unscrewing a plastic nut to expose a metal screw to the left of the battery compartment.
My Hyundai smart charger instructs me to use 'standard' charging mode for my V60 manual with an EFB type.

I find it really simple to fit the charger negative lead onto a bolt on the EGR valve.
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 11:12   #23
psung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
My Hyundai smart charger instructs me to use 'standard' charging mode for my V60 manual with an EFB type.
https://batteryworld.varta-automotiv...ge-car-battery
Scroll to point 5. It says “Charging of a battery with EFB or AGM technology is identical”

Also I have found an old email (2018) from Volvo Rybrook, she wrote “EFB and AGM are basically the same and should not be charged like a standard battery.”

Do you have a photo of the EGR valve?

Last edited by psung; Apr 26th, 2020 at 11:44.
psung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 11:27   #24
psung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
The panel to the nearside of it lifts out and it is really easy to fit the negative of the CTEK rats tail to it. Any plastic panel securing pins which hold panels in place could all be re used when I did the job on my car. I must stress, mine is a MY2016 D5 XC60, yes it has stop start but I don't know if it has the AGM battery that you talk about.
How do you remove the pins? Does it just pop out?

On my battery it actually says enhanced flooded battery (EFB), on my manual it says manual car EFB, auto use AGM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFE4A9C5-B92B-4314-A658-235E7391F207.jpg (164.9 KB, 48 views)
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 13:49   #25
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psung View Post
https://batteryworld.varta-automotiv...ge-car-battery
Scroll to point 5. It says “Charging of a battery with EFB or AGM technology is identical”

Also I have found an old email (2018) from Volvo Rybrook, she wrote “EFB and AGM are basically the same and should not be charged like a standard battery.”

Do you have a photo of the EGR valve?
I'd follow the instructions given in the charger manual. My (fairly new) charger definitely states to use the standard setting for an EFB battery, so that's what I do when charging my Volvo battery... and on our (fairly new) Kia I need to use the AGM setting (which is why I had to buy a new charger!).

I don't have a photo, no, but it's not hard to find a suitable bolt on the engine to connect the charger negative lead. It's actually much trickier on the Kia.
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 15:33   #26
psung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I'd follow the instructions given in the charger manual. My (fairly new) charger definitely states to use the standard setting for an EFB battery, so that's what I do when charging my Volvo battery... and on our (fairly new) Kia I need to use the AGM setting (which is why I had to buy a new charger!).
I am going to email Volvo again to get clarification, if they reply I will update.
(the last email in 2018 was related to dash cam, and battery charging, her advice was I shouldn't need charging with a charger and the comments I posted earlier)
But I could see a problem, if EFB are suppose to be charged using standard charging, the problem for me at least is the support battery is AGM.

Last edited by psung; Apr 26th, 2020 at 16:06.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 20:46   #27
Steve XC60
Structural member

In case it helps anyone at any point, Volvo UK customer service confirmed that I have an AGM battery. They could not have been more helpful.

Thanks all.
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 09:17   #28
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve XC60 View Post
In case it helps anyone at any point, Volvo UK customer service confirmed that I have an AGM battery. They could not have been more helpful.

Thanks all.
How odd. The owner's manual for my V60 states that autos have an AGM type while manual versions have an EFB type (which mine does have). Volvo seem to be inconsistent in this respect!
Old May 1st, 2020, 10:24   #29
moosehead74

Having owned (and still own) Mercs for years I can't say I'm that impressed with Volvo in terms of charging / jump starting points. Merc just make it so much easier. Open the bonnet and there's a little red flap you lift up for +ve and an adjacent stud to connect to the -ve. No need to go anywhere near the battery.

I have a Volvo fitted tow bar on mine with 13 pin electrics. One of the members on here kindly suggested buying an adaptor with a CTEK connector which enables you to charge via the tow electrics (there is a live connection). Have to say it is a brilliant way to charge the vehicle. I have the CTEK start / stop charger which is designed for EFB/AGM batteries but you can use on normal lead acid. It only outputs 3.8A at 14.55V compared to some of the other CTEKs which can charge above 15V. Not sure if this is a problem on Volvo's but Merc don't recommend anything above 14.8V.

My 2017 XC60 D5 has an EFB and it does seem that they appear to fit whatever's available. Talking to my local dealer it seems you can replace an EFB with AGM. I do wonder if you can upgrade to a bigger battery as there seems to be plenty of room in the tray and the 70Ah battery appears surprisingly small for a diesel engine? My C Class is fitted with a 100Ah unit in comparison!
moosehead74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2020, 14:25   #30
Steve XC60
Structural member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead74 View Post
Having owned (and still own) Mercs for years I can't say I'm that impressed with Volvo in terms of charging / jump starting points. Merc just make it so much easier. Open the bonnet and there's a little red flap you lift up for +ve and an adjacent stud to connect to the -ve. No need to go anywhere near the battery.
The new SPA XC60s are exactly as you describe for your Mercs.