Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 SE - Decisions...

Views : 1205

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 17:23   #1
AdamIngs

Default V40 SE - Decisions...

Hello all,

So my lovely Volvo is now out of MOT and tax, and I've declared it SORN and stored it in the garage.

V40 1.8 SE (Not 1.8i)
118,000 miles
02 Reg
Metallic blue, Volvo alloys, cream leather heated seats, air con, cruise control...

It's in lovely condition, BUT:

The brakes are sticking - which is either a caliper issue or a master cylinder issue...don't know which, and can't afford for a garage to repair it right now.

Question is, do I have her fixed up, tax and MOT, and sell? How much does everyone think the car would be worth in this condition?

Do I sell it for it's parts (I guess the seats may be interesting to some, and anything else interior or engine, and wheels...), then scrap the body?

I really could do with a much smaller runaround now, especially as the OH is nearing her driving test and we'd be sharing the car...so although I'd love to, I don't think keeping it is the best option...

What does everyone think? Anyone interested in parts (in south London)? Would selling the parts and scrapping the body be more cost effective than fixing up, taxing and MOTing and selling?

Your thoughts appreciated!
AdamIngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 17:55   #2
gatos
Premier Member

What about selling it? Jabe is looking for a cheap run around at the moment and he is also in South London. With a bit of tlc, I am sure it can get passed an MOT.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 18:09   #3
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Out of curiosity, what symptoms are you getting with your sticking brakes?

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 19:00   #4
AdamIngs

Thanks for your replies guys.

Gatos - yeah, it's an option. You mean in it's current condition, right? Without an MOT or tax? I've had it checked over and there don't appear to be any other issues it may fail on. Not sure how much it'd be worth in this condition. As far as the bodywork and engine go, it seems fine to me...pulls well, no suspicious noises etc...if someone were to be interested in making a decent offer, I'd be willing to listen...the car is at present in Gipsy Hill (near Crystal Palace/Dulwich). If Jabe wanted to take a look (knowing the issues), I'd be more than happy to arrange a time...

Volvo2002 - the issue with the brakes is that the front offside brake was sticking a little...this got worse until I took it to a garage...they replaced a flexi hose which was apparently deteriorated...it ran fine for a few months until the same wheel started sticking again. And recently it got really stiff. I contacted the same garage who suggested it may be a sticking caliper. Could be right, but for the fact that when I took it in a asked for the SYSTEM to be checked and put right, which I assumed meant a calipers inspection, I'm a little annoyed! I simply do not have the tools (or a decent jack or axle stands) to play around too much myself. And limited knowledge Also fairly limited funds for now...

I do know the brake pads will need replacing - the time it spent rubbing slightly will have worn them down, and the short journeys it was rubbing heavily will have surely finished them off! Fluid has got quite dirty recently - probably due to it becoming hot...so a full flush will be required...interior could do with a bit of a clean out, but I'd be more than happy to do that!
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamIngs For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 19:07   #5
gatos
Premier Member

Yes, I meant in the current condition. I will pm him and see if he is interested. I was going to sell him my T4 for £300, but the head gasket is gone, so he is looking for another one

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 19:59   #6
AdamIngs

Ok, cool - yeah, let me know what he thinks.

What do you think the value of the car would be if it had 12 months MOT, and of course no brake problems?

It's a case of trying to figure out the most economic way of dealing with it - if fixing it, MOTing and taxing it costs so much money, but even with all that the car isn't worth that much, then it may be easier and as cost effective to break it/scrap it...but it'd be a shame as it's a nice car. That and the fact I'd love to see at least some return on what I paid for it!
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 20:02   #7
AdamIngs

Of course a straight swap with a small car in good condition and MOT would be a good option too...
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 20:15   #8
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIngs View Post
Thanks for your replies guys.

Gatos - yeah, it's an option. You mean in it's current condition, right? Without an MOT or tax? I've had it checked over and there don't appear to be any other issues it may fail on. Not sure how much it'd be worth in this condition. As far as the bodywork and engine go, it seems fine to me...pulls well, no suspicious noises etc...if someone were to be interested in making a decent offer, I'd be willing to listen...the car is at present in Gipsy Hill (near Crystal Palace/Dulwich). If Jabe wanted to take a look (knowing the issues), I'd be more than happy to arrange a time...

Volvo2002 - the issue with the brakes is that the front offside brake was sticking a little...this got worse until I took it to a garage...they replaced a flexi hose which was apparently deteriorated...it ran fine for a few months until the same wheel started sticking again. And recently it got really stiff. I contacted the same garage who suggested it may be a sticking caliper. Could be right, but for the fact that when I took it in a asked for the SYSTEM to be checked and put right, which I assumed meant a calipers inspection, I'm a little annoyed! I simply do not have the tools (or a decent jack or axle stands) to play around too much myself. And limited knowledge Also fairly limited funds for now...

I do know the brake pads will need replacing - the time it spent rubbing slightly will have worn them down, and the short journeys it was rubbing heavily will have surely finished them off! Fluid has got quite dirty recently - probably due to it becoming hot...so a full flush will be required...interior could do with a bit of a clean out, but I'd be more than happy to do that!
Oh I see. I believe I have a sticking caliper as my car shunts from cold when lifting off and then literally a minute later it disappears.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 20:27   #9
AdamIngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post
Oh I see. I believe I have a sticking caliper as my car shunts from cold when lifting off and then literally a minute later it disappears.
Very odd.

Have you undertaken any basic tests to find the offending wheel (or wheels)?

Have you tested your servo (pump brakes, start car, brake pedal drops)?

Have you raised each wheel to check if one or some of them are sticking (before driving it)?

Is it EVERY time you start the car (even if you've just turned off the ignition), or just when you first start it each day? If it's every time you start it I guess that rules out a mechanical problem...it'd be the master vcylinder, the lines, the servo, the ABS, or whatever else...

Could it be the handbrake sticking (sure I've read on these forums that x40s have issues with handbrakes sticking - Gatos can probably confirm...)?

I guess that would help to pinpoint the issue. Bear in mind that I'm hardly the most competent mechanic, so take all this with a pinch of salt!
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamIngs For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 20:39   #10
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIngs View Post
Very odd.

Have you undertaken any basic tests to find the offending wheel (or wheels)?

Have you tested your servo (pump brakes, start car, brake pedal drops)?

Have you raised each wheel to check if one or some of them are sticking (before driving it)?

Is it EVERY time you start the car (even if you've just turned off the ignition), or just when you first start it each day? If it's every time you start it I guess that rules out a mechanical problem...it'd be the master vcylinder, the lines, the servo, the ABS, or whatever else...

Could it be the handbrake sticking (sure I've read on these forums that x40s have issues with handbrakes sticking - Gatos can probably confirm...)?

I guess that would help to pinpoint the issue. Bear in mind that I'm hardly the most competent mechanic, so take all this with a pinch of salt!
It happens when the car has been left for a few hours. If it's been recently shut off and the started again, the symptoms don't appear.

If starting from cold I need to be gentle changing gear because if you lift off, the car shunts violently and then as I drive for say a minute or two it starts to loosen up and it goes away. I recently had a caliper replaced because it was bad (Dec 2012) My handbrake though can go up quite high and it doesn't hold the car even when the symbol appears on the dash, you need to pull it up quite a bit! I'm convinced it's hand brake/caliper related.