Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

can't get rid of the judder

Views : 1561

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 14:56   #11
Teep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4 mikey View Post
n/s nearside,passenger side,left
o/s offside,drivers side,right
looking from back to front
Ah, okay, thanks. So I'm guessing this relates to the drive shafts? How do you check whether these are okay? Friends of mine put the car on a lift a while back and noticed there is both horizontal (in and out) and vertical play on both drive shafts where they connect to the wheels. I guess there is supposed to be some play, as the wheels must be able to move up and down. But how to determine it's okay?

edit: after a quick google I understand that 'inner joint' probably refers to the joint were the drive shaft connects to the transmission. Is there supposed to be any play here?

Last edited by Teep; Aug 4th, 2009 at 15:03.
Teep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 11:11   #12
matt123

does anyone know how much it costs to fix this issue?

Thanks
m
matt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 11:14   #13
Teep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
does anyone know how much it costs to fix this issue?
To me, at least, it all depends on what the issue actually is... which is still unclear. Diagnosing something like this can take a car shop many hours and many trial-and-errors, which will make it a costly affair.

I hope I can come as close as possible to a diagnosis myself. Not too much of a mechanic myself but I have some friends that can help.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 14:13   #14
matt123

took my car to the dealer to see if they can identify the problem (i wasn't going to get them to fix it!) they said its either drive shaft or transmition.. but essentially its not worth fixing

what to do
matt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 14:17   #15
Hinckley

Teep

I understand what you mean, you can end up replacing loads before finding the faulty component, in you case as the vibration gets quite bad after time something is being affected when it heats up, have you tried swapping front tyres for back ones? just a chance it could be tyre construction related.

Inboard and outboard tripode joints and/or constant velocity joints are sometimes impossible to diagnose, trial fit replacement although costly is sometimes the only way to discount them, it has also been known for diff problems to cause temperature/speed related vibrations.

Good luck on the fix.

Cheers,
Pip
Last 2009 Merc CLS
Now 2004 S80 2.5T SE + Freelander! (BOGOF!)
Hinckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 03:19   #16
adamsky01
back for now

ok drive shafts are arond £250 per side from the main dealer this site is ofering them at over half price never used them myself but it may be worth a shot http://www.autopartswarehouse.co.uk/..._category.aspx
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 09:28   #17
Teep

There is also a good chance the problem is now coming from the rear wheels, as I seem to have lost the little plastic cover plates with the volvo logo at the centre of my wheel hubs of both my rear wheels. Also, last time they balanced they found (and fixed) an imbalance in my rear wheels.

AFAIK there is not much that can go wrong with rear wheels: brakes, tyres, hubs, maybe suspension... ?

But I think it may be a combination of problems, both front and rear.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 09:30   #18
phil_r

Hi, i've the same car as you with getting on for a 140000 miles on it. The vibration you describe i have had from when i bought it last november and have also finally come to the conclusion of drive shaft on the nearside inner due to a small amount of play up/down and side to side, i also have a split cv boot. I've not had it looked at yet but speaking to 2 Volvo dealers over the phone i was told the inner cv joint rarely causes problems and is more likely to be the gearbox. My conclusion has been to leave it untill its mot in december when it will fail on the boot and a few more things including another rear spring, i'd advise checking the bottom of the springs as both have failed here and seems to be a common problem. Up to you if are going to repair it or not, but i don't think mine won't be on the road anymore in 2010, so will be after a t4 or 2.0t very soon! Phil
phil_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 15:23   #19
johnnyc

ive got the same car with same mileage and same problem, 1 driveshaft was replaced before i got the car so i thought it was down to tracking, i got the car for a steal so will get it fixed as great car
johnnyc is offline   Reply With Quote