Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where do you see Volvo against other marques?

Views : 24234

Replies : 234

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Where do you see Volvo as a brand compared to other marques?
Premium and firmly in Compact Executive sector (eg, BMW, Benz and Audi) 91 55.83%
Non Premium but still in Compact Executive sector 35 21.47%
Premium-esque, but not in Compact Executive sector (eg, Alfa Romeo) 36 22.09%
Non Premium and not in Compact Executive sector (eg, Ford Mondeo) 6 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 20:35   #41
AndyMJenkins

All,
As a newcomer to this board, I'm conscious of "upsetting the applecart", and posting this thread I had no intention of doing so. I see a couple of threads starting to get "warm" ........ this was not my intention.

Lots of potential valid claims for what makes a car "better" / "more premium" than another ... I wonder how owners satisfaction comes into this ?

Does a car that makes you more satisfied, make it more premium, to you?

According to JD Power Satisfaction survey for the past 4 years (2009-2012) : (where 1st is most satisfied)
  • Lexus (someone said Lexus in this thread ?) and Honda come out trumps.
  • Volvo are on a slow, but improving trend UPwards.
  • Audi appear to come out smelling of roses though - from a lowly 11th in 2009 to 7th in 2012.
  • Benz are slipping in the wrong direction, from a 4th position held in 2009/10 to fall to 6th in 2011, rising slightly in 2012 to 5th.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JD Satisfaction UK Benz, BMW Audi and Volvo.jpg (58.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg JD Satisfaction UK.jpg (111.6 KB, 13 views)
AndyMJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 21:36   #42
jetronic63

That's a pretty impressive upswing from BMW if I have read the graph right. I have just got a 530D and I must admit I love it !

The premium images take years to cultivate - look how long it too Audi to be considered up against BMW and Mercedes and they are not substantially different to VWs. Volvo tried half heartedly to be premium but that was undermined by the Ford ownership and they have since switched tack again.

It's not easy to change brand perception - look how MB have dumped all the design values of the A-class in the new model to try and shake off the 'pensioner' image and drive the buying age downwards and grab some Golf/A3/1-Series action. I am no marketing expert but i think Volvo need to choose an image and stick to it to build up the brand in the eyes of the public. VW seems to be a good benchmark to aim at IMO - if they could achieve the popularity and perceived quality of VW, that would be some achievement.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 21:38   #43
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMJenkins View Post
All,
As a newcomer to this board, I'm conscious of "upsetting the applecart", and posting this thread I had no intention of doing so. I see a couple of threads starting to get "warm" ........ this was not my intention.

Lots of potential valid claims for what makes a car "better" / "more premium" than another ... I wonder how owners satisfaction comes into this ?

According to JD Power Satisfaction survey for the past 4 years (2009-2012) : (where 1st is most satisfied)
  • Audi appear to come out smelling of roses though - from a lowly 11th in 2009 to 7th in 2012.
  • Benz are slipping in the wrong direction, from a 4th position held in 2009/10 to fall to 6th in 2011, rising slightly in 2012 to 5th.
I think without a shadow of a doubt Lexus stand head and shoulders above all others when it comes to their customers.They just seem to treat their customers as people.Go to a Lexus dealer in your scruffs and 'old banger' and you are treated very well.They kind of just do not really judge,or at least it seems that way.

I havent that much experience with Lexus as cars, although the main reason I would not have one at the moment is due to the limited range.The RX450 crossover is a great car, although a bit frumpy and somewhat expensive.The rest are saloons, not much help if you need an estate!

Reliable and certainly premium though.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 21:45   #44
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

I remember reading Lexus came out on top for dealer service. Their showrooms were praised for the look and the terrific customer care. Jaguar also had a fantastic review.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 21:50   #45
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawas View Post
Is it a Harley?
Not a chance, it's a Suzuki.
The only reason I own Yank Tanks at all is really because you don't see too many around and they sound so good.
However both my S60, Fiesta and motorbike, do absolutely everything (other than the sound) far better than the Pontiac
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 22:13   #46
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMJenkins View Post
All,

This issue of owner satisfaction always begs the question about why and how buyers"buy"or choose...is it a pragmatic or an emotional decision or a combination of both.
Most consumers are certainly guilty of"brand snobbery"whether they admit to it or are even aware of it; and we all justify our purchases post hoc.
There is a gap between the product and the product experience especially in car retail and even where there is forward integration (where manufacturers own retailers) they still can't get it right.
Brand is a concept created around a product, usually a mix of tangibles and intangibles, deployed as a tool to differentiate one brand from another.

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 07:47   #47
AndyMJenkins

To solicit some responses (aside from the excellent debate already going on in this thread), I've added a poll.

Maybe this changes the question somewhat .. but I've worded the poll based on whether a Volvo belongs in the Compact Executive sector. I guess this will clearly be "depends on the car" ...... so consider rivals to BMW 3 Series / MB C Class / Audi A4 etc etc.
AndyMJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:14   #48
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Post deleted: lack of interest (on reflection).

Prufrock.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jul 2nd, 2012 at 08:31. Reason: see above
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 13:15   #49
GP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
focusing on the v40 for a minute i really think they have an offering that will put something and make people think twice at least before buying a german manufacturers car.

I am sorry to anyone who likes VW in anyway but i will never set foot in a VW dealer with my own cash to by a car honestly, and as for the VW/Skoda/Seat UK well they are bunch of so and so to.
I have a Leon at the moment, The V40 is on my list for when the time comes to change, so Volvo's got my attention with the V40. .
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 13:21   #50
gillberry
VOC Member

With all this talk about image etc Volvos and saabs have there own following that is not badge orientated but one where the owners appreciate not only the safety aspects but also the design and comfort provided by well thought out design programs . Of the cars the media portrays in the premium sector how many could you drive several hundred miles and get out feeling fairly fresh ? even the luxo barges would struggle to perform whereas a design like volvo's that has all their range with a similar layout for the driver meaning you can get in a c30 and be as comfortable as you would in an xc90 .
How many of you would buy a volvo if all and sundry wanted them because their image became like that of BMW and Audi ?

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post: