Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Great service and Polestar.

Views : 6744

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2018, 13:10   #21
cheshired5
Premier Member

£700 for a different algorithm which makes the car perform and shift as it should have done anyway..... That doesn't sound like good value.
Imagine if Apple charged £700 for an ios upgrade.....
Old May 3rd, 2018, 13:39   #22
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
£700 for a different algorithm which makes the car perform and shift as it should have done anyway..... That doesn't sound like good value.
It's called marketing. If it was spiffy out of the box they couldn't sell you an 'enhancement'.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 13:39   #23
Bernard F

When people pay good money for something they think they want it’s very easy to convince yourself that it was a good move, perhaps even after a money back offer. Personally I cannot fault the performance or gearbox on my MY18 XC60. T5 and cannot see the need to even try it.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 14:42   #24
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
It's called marketing. If it was spiffy out of the box they couldn't sell you an 'enhancement'.
£700 (and that's discounted) for an existing, non bespoke string of letters and numbers goes beyond marketing and the fact there are so many lengthy debates on here about its worth suggest that the balance between cost, performance and value hasn't been struck.

If it was £250, most folk would just have it applied with barely a second thought meaning a higher return for a "part" which has no intrinsic value.
Also, given that a "no thank you" requires 2 visits, 2 technicians and 2 software downloads for no £££, having a 14 day trial seems like a poor use of everyone's time and labour.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 15:02   #25
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
£700 (and that's discounted) for an existing, non bespoke string of letters and numbers goes beyond marketing and the fact there are so many lengthy debates on here about its worth suggest that the balance between cost, performance and value hasn't been struck.
You forgot to mention the label...
Old May 3rd, 2018, 15:12   #26
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Well as for label value/appeal, compared to M Sport, AMG, Ralliart, Nismo etc., does Polestar recognition extend beyond the Volvo community?
I'm not sure it does and I don't think Volvo see it that way either.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 15:12   #27
Bernard F

Quote:
For those of us that keep to the speed limit, never take chances when overtaking and have no need to shave seconds of our arrival time that’s all you get for the money.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 15:19   #28
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Well as for label value/appeal, compared to M Sport, AMG, Ralliart, Nismo etc., does Polestar recognition extend beyond the Volvo community?
I'm not sure it does and I don't think Volvo see it that way either.
volvo may not see it that way, but some customers may
Old May 3rd, 2018, 15:31   #29
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
volvo may not see it that way, but some customers may
True but surely the results must be tangible beyond question though otherwise people are potentially paying hundreds of pounds for a name on a sticker.
For such an expensive upgrade, I'm surprised how split opinions can be as to how noticeable the changes are.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 16:33   #30
lalith16

Quote:
But then why doesn’t every PC that gets sold come with the latest processor that is available or latest version of Windows or MS Office. Should it be the case that when one buys a computer with a particular version of Windows OS, they should also get subsequent versions of the OS for free.