Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cilinderhead metal

Views : 1032

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2003, 23:22   #1
tmoons

hello,

i'm about to fix the broken stud (see iregular runnig 340 DL CVT dicussion) but now i'm wondering, what metal is the cilinderhead made of?
if its aluminium i can go for stainless steel studs....
could anybody tell me?

thanks

theo

PS im still open to any fuell save tips (mine also seems to spill fuel out of the tank when its to full (any tips on making that stop?)

Old May 30th, 2003, 13:07   #2
srtames

Default RE: cilinderhead metal

the cylnder head is aluminium and quite soft .I would not use stainless studs as they are easier to fracture.
Corrosion may have set in and you will may need to retap the stud hole to a larger size . I would be tempted to live with it!

good luck ,steve

srtames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 20:41   #3
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default RE: cilinderhead metal

The fuel problem is a very common one and is down to the frankly cheap and shoddy hoses that Volvo put on the fuel tanks.

There are connecting hoses that connect the main fuel tank to a little plastic expansion tank in the boot and a breather hose. They all rot. Get some good quality hose of the correct diameter from somewhere like Halfords. I generally use injector hose as the rubber's much thicker. And replace all the hoses. There should be 2 or 3 thin ones and two thicker ones joined by a plastic coupling. (This is all from memory so forgive me if some of the details are wrong.)

The fuel hoses on top of the tank sender unit in the boot can rot as well. There is a plastic cover in the floor of the boot and the sender is underneath this. The hoses tend not to have much slack in them though. The way I made slack was by jacking the car up, and gently unclip some of the plastic fuel hose that runs underneath the car. Then you should be able to gently pull WITHOUT DAMAGING THE PLASTIC LINES, pull them gently up through the hole to let you unclip the rubber hoses. Be careful when you pull them off not to let the brass inserts fall out of the plastic hose. Then replace and refit. Don't forget to reclip the fuel lines back into their clips underneath the car.

Hope that helps.

That's all the fuel lines that rot. Oh, no its not :) There's also the fuel return line that runs from the fuel pump. You'll tell which one, its smaller diameter and covered in cloth. That may well be leaking.

Andy

just noticed I can't spell :)
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 05:32   #4
wjp01908

Agree completely Andy - had to replace the entire system on my last 340 apart from the pump - carb one